What are the first things you think of others that don't carry a knife?

I like to try and start them off with something "nice" and at the same time inexpensive. That seems to pull people into the fold. I tend to have to buy knives twice as I'll end up giving out semi used models to exactly those type of people and have to buy a new one!

Last edited:
I always think that they haven't found the right one. That's when I start blabbing about spyderco salt I's or cold steel recon minis.

That's why i got my mum a pink Mini-Griptilian for Mothers day hoping it will be one that she'll EDC. Whenever I'm around her it's, you got a knife, you got a knife, u got a knife. Not that i mind handing it out but this way she"ll have one when not there.

That's why i got my mum a pink Mini-Griptilian for Mothers day hoping it will be one that she'll EDC. Whenever I'm around her it's, you got a knife, you got a knife, u got a knife. Not that i mind handing it out but this way she"ll have one when not there.

I was thinking of something in a pearl handle for my mom for the same reason.

But if one doesn't hunt or fish, how often do you need that knife? I know sometimes whole days go by that I don't really need it. And when I do, any small sharp edge will do. It would be nice if the knife knits would admit that sometimes they have to invent a reason to pull out their knife for something. For the millions and millions of people going on about their lives without carrying a knife, somehow they get by. A knife is just not on their radar. But for us, the afflicted and obsessed, we look down on them? Judging someone for not carrying knife is as immature and juvenile as one can get. There's more to life than carrying a knife. Like one poster said, how much money do you have saved up for an emergency? Can you still provide for yourself and family if you are out of work for 6 months?

Another wonderful post, just wanted to address this part. Crazy as I am about knives, I readily admit there are whole days going by I don't really NEED it for anything. It's nice in my pocket or on my belt. I definitely want it there and feel weird without it. It's part of my daily routine. For me, a necessary part without truly BEING necessary (though I know for some, a knife on the job is a must.) And I could get by
with a SAK even though I like other knives over it, that is for sure.

Your dad sounds like the classic salt of the earth hard worker that did all but break their backs and then some to provide for their families and keep our economy going round. In short, one of the many silent, hardworking people on whose back much of what we have today was built, and the brand of people I respect the most. Although I'm nowhere near white collar, I'm an academic through and through. However, it's the non-academic get your hands dirty worker that gets most of my respect.

In short, for me, whether blue collar, white collar, knife carrier, or non-knife carrier... the true measure of a good person is not what sort of steel they carry on their belt, or in their pocket. The true measure of a good person is what sort of steel is in their spine, and their ability to show compassion and understanding, with their heart.

Quote...

I don't really think anything if someone doesn't carry. Although if they need a blade I'm happy to lend one. In my opinion you should always be prepared, but to each their own.
Either way a knife out here isn't going to get anybody's attention, most people that are near me are to busy shooting guns or bows. Hunting season there are people all around or near my property trying to bag a buck.

End Quote

This post got me to thinking. In threads bout knife attitudes there have been many similar posts about relaxed country attitudes toward knives and knife over-reactions in the city.

We have a huge difference in this country between "city" attitudes and "country" attitudes. We obviously have red states and blue states, a wedge I think largely created by politicians, but this rift is created by corporate America and "progress" too.

I live a little north of Cincinnati admittedly a "small town" city, but a city. I work in Northern Kentucky and have for 26 years. The state line was a real barrier for people from Cincinnati moving to Kentucky for years. Northern Kentucky is now basically a suburb of Cincinnati but most Kentucky boys would get mad if you said that.

Most or many of my co-workers drive to work from 20 miles south of the company we work for. I drive in from 20 miles north. They hunt, fish, farm instead of garden, ride loud quads and golf carts all over their land and do all kinds of stuff I wish I could get away with in my suburban neighborhood.

Now I've lived a good chunk of my life in the Boston area but grew up on a farm here in the Cincinnati area so "I've looked at life from both sides now". Crossing the Mason-Dixon line to get to work daily I *live* in both worlds now.

Some of the country folk might call the city folk effete fondue sucking jerks and the city folk might call the country people dumb rednecks. Both species of intolerant humans surely exist but most people just haven't seen the other side.

By the way, people at work think I'm a city guy and my neighbors at home think I'm a hillbilly.

If someone does or doesn't carry a knife it probably has more to do with their upbringing and environment than anything. A majority of guys would probably carry a knife (like guys used to) if they had seen others carry them a lot through their life. Not because they would feel a need to be prepared but because guys like toys, uummm, I mean tools.

Quote...

Some of the country folk might call the city folk effete fondue sucking jerks and the city folk might call the country people dumb rednecks. Both species of intolerant humans surely exist but most people just haven't seen the other side.

I'm curious: Do you have effete fondue sucking rednecks? I think they'd be awesome people with which to hang out.

Even though I know out side of the US a torch has different meanings I just "flash" to seeing a pocketable propane torch for lighting up whatever LOL

I
Using an inanimate object as a measure of being sociable is very strange in and of itself. Personally, I don't use that method, instead I rely on conversation. Not everyone has grown up around guns and knives, does that make people any stranger than those that have? Seems like your perspective may be a little misguided and ultimately misplaced. Almost bordering on nutnfancy-ish. I have a couple of smart phones as they are a requirement of both my jobs. So, how does that define me, I must be an enigma then?
I'm sure a lot of people are aware of their rights, but they might not have an immediate burdening need for a knife and gun at every moment of their life. Assuming anything else is just foolishness.

See this is a good example.[/QUOTE
I'm not saying that just because you don't carry a tool with you whenever you can that your a bad person or that your lame. I'm just saying that it shows that your prepared for whatever may come up. What it says about you character is that your a person who likes to be ready for the unexpected. It doesn't sum up your whole character by any means but it does reflect a portion of it. Your character is who you are and determines how to you think ie. Weather or not you think it's right for you to carry a knife. My belief is that You may not have an everyday need for a knife but it's better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it. That's just who I am. That's part of my character. It doesn't determine if I'm a nice or friendly guy but it does say something about who I am.

When I don't see the pocket clip. The 1st thing I think is - I hope they don't ask to borrow mine & I have to say "sorry, I don't have a knife either." /blatant lie to protect my knife from the harm others may wreak./ ;)
When I see a pocket clip... First thing that goes through my mind is " I hope I'm not spotted staring at that guy's pocket & they think I'm a creeper type. Second thought is - "From the design, shape of that clip, That folder is a (fill in blank for my guess.) :D

“While you judge me by my outward appearance I am silently doing the same to you, even though there's a ninety-percent chance that in both cases our assumptions are wrong.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich

When I don't see the pocket clip. The 1st thing I think is - I hope they don't ask to borrow mine & I have to say "sorry, I don't have a knife either."
You'll not see a pocket clip on me, but I'm only very rarely without a knife.

Can't go by looks.

When I don't see the pocket clip. The 1st thing I think is - I hope they don't ask to borrow mine & I have to say "sorry, I don't have a knife either." /blatant lie to protect my knife from the harm others may wreak./ ;)
When I see a pocket clip... First thing that goes through my mind is " I hope I'm not spotted staring at that guy's pocket & they think I'm a creeper type. Second thought is - "From the design, shape of that clip, That folder is a (fill in blank for my guess.) :D

“While you judge me by my outward appearance I am silently doing the same to you, even though there's a ninety-percent chance that in both cases our assumptions are wrong.” ― Richelle E. Goodrich

The Dude: Dude can I borrow your knife?

Jimmo: Sorry man, I don't have one.

The Dude: Dude, I can see your knife clipped to your pocket right there.

Jimmo: Uh, sorry man, i don't have a knife.

The Dude: Dude, I can literally see your knife clip right there (points to clip).

Jimmo: Well, I don't know what you think you see but I don't have a knife, sorry. (unclips knife and drops fully in pocket)

The Dude: But, dude, you do have one right? I literally just saw you put the knife in your pocket to hide the clip.

Jimmo: You use the word "literally" way too much, man.

The Dude: Touche dude, touche. Catch ya later.

Jimmo: See ya.

Leghog.... Not to derail this thread. You may of missed it because it's difficult to show jest in posts. It was my poor attempt to be humorous.

YES!!!! Thanks Red Lynx, I'm relieved somebody caught my jest..
"Errrr, No, that's not a pocket clip you see, That's a watch fob." lol,lol,lol!!!!!

I've never even thought about this subject before to be honest, and I've grown up around guns and knives all my life. Really what it comes down to is that I don't care about what other people do at all, as long as it doesn't harm me or my family and friends.

I've never even thought about this subject before to be honest, and I've grown up around guns and knives all my life. Really what it comes down to is that I don't care about what other people do at all, as long as it doesn't harm me or my family and friends.
Yup....

I haven't read every response , maybe someone already suggested this. When I see someone ,who as a rule doesnt carry a knife, I just figure their Dad or maybe lack of, didn't start them of carrying one.
Doesn't mean that they are less manly or anything. They just can't cut stuff.

In reality, most people don't need to carry a knife. I, on the other hand, do need to carry a knife. I work in a plumbing supply warehouse and am constantly using my knife throughout the day. I also live in South Carolina so most people don't think twice about seeing a knife in someone's pocket. I understand that different parts of the country have various views on knives and thankfully I live in an area where it's accepted by most. It does kind of boggle my mind at times when plumbers will come in to my shop and ask if I have a knife. I just wonder why they don't? They are in a profession where they do need one. However, I also don't like to judge anyone on their personal preferences.
The average American shouldn't carry a blade for the safety of others and themselves :)