What are you wearing on your feet?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Mastalerz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Mastalerz

Mastalerz

Aug 7, 2013
    My hiking boots got left near the fire a little too long last time I was hiking, melted it pretty good, you can still walk in them but it's time for some new boots. Luckily they weren't too expensive. While I was looking around at some new boots I got to thinking, what do you guys wear and how do you like them? Do you go for comfort? Speed? Durability?

Boots are the one of the most important pieces of equipment we take with us outdoors (unless you're Cody Lundin) and often times we don't really discuss them or take the time to notice the differences. There are all sorts of builds, materials, purposes, etc.

So what do you guys and gals lace up and what are your preferences?

2. iBlade

iBlade

Jul 24, 2008
    Depends where i am going and the intended terrain, sometimes trail running shoes, sometimes actual leather boots (particularly if I am adding crampons), and sometimes just teva's, I rarely go barefoot though...good socks very important, wool with padding!

3. matthew krissak

matthew krissak Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2005
    In the canoe I have wear a pair of bare feet columbia shoes I feet on. And on the trail I wear Zamberlan Vioz GT boots.

4. El Bandit0

El Bandit0 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 4, 2013
    Blackhawk Black Ops combat boots. Actually very good for hiking, waterproof and the tread is super-aggressive. also stick to rocks much better than I would have expected. I have worn these at Enchanted rock, The Ozark Mountains, and many other places in between. Be cautious when buying these as the left boot has a tendency to pinch during break-in. Great boots though.

5. Angus McGunnigle

Angus McGunnigle

Jan 1, 2013
    New Balance 965's

6. thomdarrah

thomdarrah

Jun 14, 2013
    Salomon Fellraisers for hiking and trail running. Durable, light and an aggressive tread. (I have not worn boots in the mountains for the past ten + years)

7. uncle willie

uncle willie

Mar 31, 2013
    By & large a pair of NewBalance Minimus trail runners.

uw

8. Budgetbugout

Budgetbugout

May 19, 2013
    [video=youtube_share;426GnLdrkNs]http://youtu.be/426GnLdrkNs[/video]

I usually wear my Timberlands or Merrels but recently I created this with some combat boots I found at a military surplus store. Lemme know what you think!

9. Bufford

Bufford Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2006
    $7 black rubber flip flops from Walmart. Tough as nails and comfortable. I use them for everything from cutting lawns and firewood, walking and for riding on the ATV. One pair is two years old and I walk on a lot of sharp bedrock and they don't break down, its like they are made from the same rubber as from truck tires.

10. El Bandit0

Feb 4, 2013
    You cut your grass in FLIP-FLOPS????!!!!
    You sir are a brave soul.

11. El Bandit0

Feb 4, 2013
    You cut your grass in FLIP-FLOPS????!!!!
    You sir are a brave soul.

12. Tylertron

Tylertron

Mar 10, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of Keen sandals. I have one pair that have been all over Alaska, up mountains in Austria, in the African bush and the desert in Iraq. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I wear a pair of gortex lined Timberland leather hiking boots the most for just kicking around. They have a wide rounded toe which I really like. They come in wide widths which I prefer when wearing heavier socks.

Have a pair of Merrell Ventilators that I like too. I tend to wear the Timberlands more. These are both sub-$100 hiking shoes/boots.

I wear sandals in my kayak. Tried sandals for river walking/fishing and the rocks just about killed my toes. Never again.

14. Shotgun

Shotgun

Feb 3, 2006
    Keen Newports here. I wish they had mesh on the sides but otherwise they're my favorite hiking shoes. I haven't worn boots in over 2 years. They give you a funky tan line too. :)

15. willrise

willrise Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Had five trip, what I would consider major hike lasting all day where we get started in the AM and eat lunch and dinner out doors before making our way back to the car for long drive home. Vibram Sypdiron have been on my feet even carrying a lot of water and the Kelty frames baby carried on my back with baby inside. Feet generally are not sore but I definitely feel it in my ankle and claves the next day.

16. jacksterp

jacksterp Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Merrill Moab Mids for almost anything other than scaling Everest.

17. jlwatts3

jlwatts3

Mar 5, 2012
    Nike Air Max 1's right now (I'm kind of a sneaker-head). For outdoor shenanigans, a pair of Vasque Skree's.

18. jjoanty01

jjoanty01

Jun 2, 2011
    Rocky Alpha Force boots.

19. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Another +1 for Keen, sandals and hiking boots.

20. NCCNC

NCCNC Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Justin packers at work, crock leather tops at home, asolo gtx fugitives out and about