What are you wearing on your feet?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gear, Survival Equipment & More' started by Mastalerz, Aug 25, 2013.

1. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Timberland chocoruas will not be going back to merrell or keen for light hikers again so long as they produce this model. I just popped in an aftermarket insole and am in foot heaven. For sneakers I don't steer away from saucony much and dress shoes I like Johnston Murphy, Kenneth Cole and Bostonian.

2. jasonp

jasonp

Oct 7, 2002
  3. ThriftyJoe

ThriftyJoe

Nov 6, 2011

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  4. Alberta Ed

Alberta Ed

Jun 29, 1999
    Lowa Banff model are the best serious boots I've found. Merrells are also kind to my feet. Don't scrimp on footwear; bad boots or poor fit can kill your hiking experience. (Ditto for sleeping bags.)

5. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Having extreme balance, I need very thin sole shoes for hiking, boots just do not comply. Except army boots, but I had to give em away. Anyone know the brand army uses?

Anyways, I hike in vans, I prefer to be nimble.

funny I was just at the store looking at the terrible hiking shoes.

6. schmittie

schmittie Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Red Wings or a good pair of loggers. Current loggers are Waterproof Golden Retrievers. When it gets cold, I dig out the insulated waterproof Red Wing loggers.

7. xbxb

xbxb Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2005
    One of the suppliers of military boots is Belleville. Don't know the rest.

8. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Thank you!

I try to wear all kinds of different shoes in my hikes so that I can adapt to any shoe any terrain.

im very unorthodox though.

at age 2-3 my parents often found me climbing on the pier rocks at night. I like it.

9. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    It is actually good for you feet (and shoes) to rotate shoes if you can.

10. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    Garmont Zenith Trail GTX shoes. Unbelievable breathability for a waterproof. Unfortunately, they do not grip slick rock worth a crap, and slick rocks are part of my regular routine.
    [​IMG]

11. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    btw, that pic was kind of a joke. If you didn't notice the rope, it's from a rappel.

12. MAURICE

MAURICE

Jul 14, 2000
    It is almost time for new boots for me. I am using some Timberlands now. I have been really looking hard at the MOAB mids. Little brother has a pair and he swears by them.

13. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    For backpacking I need boots that give good support and protection against lots of sharp rocks (I do a lot of bouldering with a full pack, so I need something that keeps me from feeling every rock and bruising the bottom of my feet). I also like a rubber compound that gives really good traction, some brands are too slippery on rocks, especially when wet (like my Keens). My current favorite are my Merrell Phaser Peak boots.

For camp shoes, water crossings, and light trail use, I am fond of my Merrell Trail Gloves.

14. Mannlicher

Mannlicher

Nov 19, 2008
    Keen Newports, with or without socks.
    J-41 slip on sneakers, with our without socks
    Columbia low cut light hikers
    Danner low cut heavy duty hikers.

15. Marcelo Cantu

Marcelo Cantu

Jan 18, 2003
    Chacos, and never looked back.

16. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    The Merril Moabs have an almost cult following. I've had a pair as my every day shoe for about a month now. I like them, but the jury is still out as to them being the end-all-be-all. I still think socks are way more important and am currently trying to figure out of anything can debunk Smartwool PhD 3/4 crew. The darn tough ones are giving them a run for the money and the Fox River ones just feel "plastic" to me-- maybe a few washings will change that.

Bottom line, I like my Moabs.

17. upnorth

upnorth Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 25, 2006
    I have never had a concern about my non winter footwear unless in swampy or rocky terrain. I learned long ago to put quality gel liners inside to stop or reduce foot ache, particularly on the ball of the foot. In winter wool socks with a nylon over sock. If a straight wool sock is worn it gets pulled off by my wool liners and or prematurely wears the heel out.

18. JCavSD

JCavSD

Jun 27, 2007
    Well, my feet are naturally adorned with 10 very robust and lovely yellow toe nails that provide amazing protection. However...I wear Lowa Renegade GTX boots for hiking/backpacking and general outdoor use. Durable enough and very comfortable. After several years of regular use I'm about to buy a replacement pair. Just picked up a pair of Danner Mountain Lite II boots that I'll wear for hiking, casual motorcycling, and general walking around. I get a feeling that the Danners will last a good long time.

19. Nuke

Nuke

Jun 19, 2009
    My work boots are Red Wings with steel toes, protective foot wear is required on many of the sites I visit. One plant had rubber slip-on steel toe shoes for visitors without safety shoes. They looked hilarious :D

20. sideways

sideways

Feb 19, 2013
    Light and airy is the way to go during the warmer months. I love my teva sandals.
    For protective wear I like sievi and jalas boots. Both companies produce quality light weight protective shoes and boots for people with wide feet.