What are you wearing on your feet?

I wear VFF all the time. They do wash well if they get smelly from sweating, socks are not a shield for bacteria and shoes can get just as bad. You just feel better because you think your socks help. I shear sheep all day in wool moccasins and never have a problem, just wash them when they need it. I get some pretty nasty stuff on and in them some days. My feet are fine.

$4 bought me a pair of Belleville 700s. Retail for $192. Sure they were worn down pretty bad on the sole and I had to give them a good bath, but they are waterproof and cost almost nothing. I wear Red Wing Heritage Series Chukkas in Briar Oil Slick leather for daily use, as well as when I'm fishing and don't plan on going into the water or fishing in a swampy area, and I think they will make good stalking boots. They are boots, but are cut really short and don't weigh much at all. The Red Wings are by far the most comfortable shoe I have ever had; they took two weeks to break in, but they fit and conform to my foot like no other. Made in USA to boot. Get it?:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Connor

I usually wear my Danner Marine Corps Combat Boots which are still in great shape. I usually have the Bates MCCB's as backup. I have a couple pairs of desert boots from the sandbox sitting in the garage if I needed them but would probably go to with some of my old black goretex ICB's first.

Last edited:
Always wool socks, and anything from Danner Super Rainforest II , (literally hundreds and hundreds of miles, both work and play), to Merrells, and Solomons. I'd really like a pair of Danner Mountain Lites...

I bought two pairs of Targhee 2's from Keen, both of them super comfortable but both had QC pro less so I sent them back. Zappos Vip is g2g!

Wearing some handmade deerskin mocs right now. I wear Danner Combat Hikers most of the time when I'm hiking.

Depends on the seasons. Most of the time it's a pair of Vasque Breeze lightweight waterproof hikers. Sometime an old pair of Vasque Sundowners I have worn for 20+ years. Both of these boots are 10x better/more confortable than any other regular hiking boot I have ever worn. They have lasted much better as well.

For hunting or really serious bushwhacking I have a pair of Danner Ft.Lewis boots. For a true serious hightop boot, I really like these. They are quite different from the Vasque however. And it takes me a while to get used to them. For extreme cold though, I wouldn't think twice about putting them on.

Boots are the one of the most important pieces of equipment we take with us outdoors (unless you're Cody Lundin)

If I'm on trails, I wear the same thing as Cody. Off-trail, it's homemade moccasins or homemade sandals.

I don't think anybody has mentioned them yet... But during the winter months/through thick brush, I wear my asolo's. specifically powermatics. During the summer and on maintained trails, I have a light pair of low top lowas. Both great companies in my experience! Couple hundred miles in the asolo's. just got the lowas 4 months ago.

I'm a cobbler so I fix shoes and boots for a living. I know what's good and what's bad and I'll just tell you that I wear Danner Acadia's. Been wearing the same pair for about 8 years now.

Danner's Light Hiker is also a great boot and you can't go wrong with Limmer either.

Avoid boots with direct molded soles (like sneaker soles). Many high end companies are using some kind of foam filler that dry rots and breaks down inside the sole and there is nothing that can be done to fix it. They just crumble away from the inside out.

Look for boots with an actual stitch down welt and replaceable soles.

Some companies even mold a fake welt onto the boot complete with fake stitching to make it look like it can be resoled. Buyer beware.

Merrill Moabs. Usually buy a pair the week before Christmas when they can be had at %60-%70 of usual retail cost. Wear them daily. Work, play, and church. Only time I don't wear them is when I'm in my house, when I'm in a suit (once every year or two), or when I'm wearing flip flops.

Back