What Buck are you carrying today?

S30V 110 on my belt and my faithful Tidioute Workhorse whittler in my pocket.

G4doFYC.jpeg

Is yours the 744 Sovereign or the 743 Mini Sovereign? I would be curious to hear your first impressions and particularly how you like Buck's first button lock knife. Do the stainless handles offer decent grip or are they on the slick side, and how about the weight?
Mine is the 743, a three finger knife... I'm usually not a SS scale guy because they can be slick, but this one I find has a little better grip than most others I've had. The 743 has some weight in the hand but no more than a traditional stockman knife and it's not a deal breaker for me. It's not a bugout, that's for sure, but I like the sturdy feel on the 743 size. I really like this knife out of the box. I love the blade shape, it has great action, feel in the hand, and with a drop of oil it was drop shutty. The large clip end helps it go in and out of the pocket easily and the screw tab is recessed into the scale. It very much reminds me of a Benchmade 707 without the axis lock. I think it was worth the price of admission.

Carrying a 1993 Buck 703 that I rescued from a pile of very used knives at the recent Spirit of Steel show. The scales were missing. blades were relatively full but dull and the bolsters were beat up. I added some Elk stag scales, cleaned up the bolsters as well as I could and sharpened it up. Now its back to work riding in my pocket. I enjoy rescuing Buck knives and putting them back in service.

IMG_2334_edited.jpg

Back