What did you rehang today?

It also looks similar of the ones I see in old catalog scans from Germany as well as Slovenia – covers a pretty wide range.

m68rNaj.jpg
Is that scan German? It would be interesting to see a translation. I am not sure I got the correct spelling, but I tried these with Google Translate, and no translation:

Neutitscheiner
Kellhacke
synetrlach
symetrisch (suggested: symmetrisch = symmetric)

Bob

I got this from a guy locally who soaked it in vinegar to make it more valuable.;)
I paid more for the haft than the axe.
Haft is an Ames Tru-Temper from the hardware store. Nice grain. Thinned it out a bit.
I'm not an experienced axe hanger but think it turned out ok.

This is just a user waiting to be used.

I have another one of these around here that has "3 1/2" next to the Collins mark. Does anyone know the distinction?

hdkNW1d.jpg

EN7HfEw.jpg

vqZXxa8.jpg

I found the higher quality scans but am off to set a fence for my in-laws.

The photos are larger and quite legible but I’m not sure I want to derail our Hanging thread- it’s about 12 pages of pictures. Although there are some patterns and weights of some more “interesting” shapes than we see here.

Maybe a different thread?

I got this from a guy locally who soaked it in vinegar to make it more valuable.;)
I paid more for the haft than the axe.
Haft is an Ames Tru-Temper from the hardware store. Nice grain. Thinned it out a bit.
I'm not an experienced axe hanger but think it turned out ok.

This is just a user waiting to be used.

I have another one of these around here that has "3 1/2" next to the Collins mark. Does anyone know the distinction?

hdkNW1d.jpg

EN7HfEw.jpg

vqZXxa8.jpg
Not sure, but this is definitely a later mann era axe probably from the mid 70's.
You actually made it look nice for what it is , and the steel should at least be semi decent.

No stamp or markings on the $5 head.
35" handle, given free from a seperate garage sale.
I want to try as a splitter, i may determine the handle length is to long for me.
I have always used a 36" maul or swung a 32" axe or longer simply due to the fact that I have always been the short man on the job.
Recently I have found the 27"-29" handle length is feeling to be the sweet spot.

IY8OYvS.jpg

EQc7oNb.jpg

hnWNI8k.jpg

(The bench may look a little crowded here but it's all good now);)

Sweet!

Love the look of that little Collins in the background, too.

Thanks!
I haven't been able to nail down it's exact type or use. I thought maybe a lathe or even roofers hatchet.
I do like the few Collins' I have been lucky to find and that guy I just did a little more handle work on, feeling even better in my hand now.

RJSNnz2.jpg

aFcCvJA.jpg

More octagon now than squared rectangle I had.

Be still, my heart!

That's a sweet combo with an unusual weight fire axe.

I have nothing more insightful or informative to add...I just wanted to look at this sweet axe again.
Maybe next weekend there will be something similar out this way:thumbsup:

On the subject of cross wedging, Hartwell Handles had a "self fitting" option for axe handles, with the kerfs pre-cut for cross wedging, and all the wooden wedges provided. (This was also available on handles for hammers and picks.)

BookReaderImages.php

From Hartwell Handles Catalog 92, 1955

Great find, Steve!

It's interesting to note that in the illustrations the cross-wedge is installed as one piece and the main wedge is divided into two pieces. This is the manner that I prefer for cross-wedging. Several other forum members are doing it in opposite order but still with good effect, i.e. - installing the main wedge as one piece and the cross wedge as two pieces.

My preference is based on not liking the tiny pieces of a split cross-wedge. I think they're more apt to fold over or split while being driven.

Back