What did you rehang today?

Miller'72-Looks great, the only thing I would still do is to cut off the haft flush with the top of the head. Lath, carpenters half hatchet and some other hatchet heads are made completely flat on top so you can reach flush when cutting or nailing in corners. ceilings, etc.

Thank you Old Axeman.
I was debating that last night, without researching it, my common sense was telling me to cut it flush like a hammer.
I hope to grab some time today and revisit the Underhill.

I'd give it a few days, tap the wedge a couple more times, then cut/rasp it off.

Thanks for the tip. You just reminded me of a post/thread I read thru a while back stating that waiting and tapping the wedge again will probably sink/set deeper and stronger.

Underhill Lathing Hatchet
Boston USA
7/8lb. total
11"
Repurposed claw hammer handle

EMQBxB8.jpg

lFeMUi2.jpg

hZkF98d.jpg

Thanks for looking
You did a beautiful job on that! A lath hatchet is one of the very few situations where trimming the handle flush with the eye is in keeping with authenticity. It's unlikely you'll ever be nailing lath strips or drywall sheets up tight to a ceiling though so you can't really be faulted for this.

You did a beautiful job on that! A lath hatchet is one of the very few situations where trimming the handle flush with the eye is in keeping with authenticity. It's unlikely you'll ever be nailing lath strips or drywall sheets up tight to a ceiling though so you can't really be faulted for this.

Thank you 300six.
I believe you to be right, I probably will not be cutting, nailing strips of lath for any future remodels here ;)
Although being married, owning the home my grandparents built and having two young boys one thing I have learned...never say never.:eek:

Thank you 300six.
I believe you to be right, I probably will not be cutting, nailing strips of lath for any future remodels here ;)
Although being married, owning the home my grandparents built and having two young boys one thing I have learned...never say never.:eek:
.....and it's always easier at a future date to remove wood than it is to wish to add some on.

.....and it's always easier at a future date to remove wood than it is to wish to add some on.

Can't help this one, you just reminded me of a summer apprentice position I had with a carpenter back when I was maybe 14/15 yeas old.
"Hey Miller! Go get me the wood stretcher from the truck. It's got two pulleys and a thick rope."
That was the last time I trusted that guy LOL!!!

Can't help this one, you just reminded me of a summer apprentice position I had with a carpenter back when I was maybe 14/15 yeas old.
"Hey Miller! Go get me the wood stretcher from the truck. It's got two pulleys and a thick rope."

Check the box next to the skyhook. ;)

Yeppur!
'Damn; I've cut it twice and it's still too short'.

This probably-made-in-Mexico Collins that I picked up from a scrap pile:

UeCTVBB.jpg

This was my first re-hang job. I think it turned out satisfactory. There is a gap of maybe 2mm in the front. It has a good fit the rest of the way around as it is, and I felt like it would've been beyond my skill or patience to re-shape it enough to drop it back onto the shoulder and get rid of that. The handle (Link; Seymour) came with a wooden wedge but no metal wedges, and since some say it's better better without them anyways, I guess I'll just start without and see how it goes.

It took some work to reshape and thin down the handle; the rasp I have is garbage so I used a knife and sandpaper. I sat the head deep enough and cut off another inch from the ridiculously swollen bottom end of the handle (no before pics, but it was ugly), so it turned out 34" in length, which I think is cool for this 3.25 lb axe head.
pxkpvBt.jpg
0LdONVC.jpg
gmAMu5y.jpg

This probably-made-in-Mexico Collins that I picked up from a scrap pile:

UeCTVBB.jpg

This was my first re-hang job. I think it turned out satisfactory. There is a gap of maybe 2mm in the front. It has a good fit the rest of the way around as it is, and I felt like it would've been beyond my skill or patience to re-shape it enough to drop it back onto the shoulder and get rid of that. The handle (Link; Seymour) came with a wooden wedge but no metal wedges, and since some say it's better better without them anyways, I guess I'll just start without and see how it goes.

It took some work to reshape and thin down the handle; the rasp I have is garbage so I used a knife and sandpaper. I sat the head deep enough and cut off another inch from the ridiculously swollen bottom end of the handle (no before pics, but it was ugly), so it turned out 34" in length, which I think is cool for this 3.25 lb axe head.
pxkpvBt.jpg
0LdONVC.jpg
gmAMu5y.jpg

I don't get it, every single link handle I've purchased has had absolutely terrible grain. Yours looks to be perfectly ideal. Guess it's just my luck.

Oh and, be happy you avoided the headaches that come with a secondary metal wedge. If hung properly they are completely unnecessary and do more harm than good.

I don't get it, every single link handle I've purchased has had absolutely terrible grain. Yours looks to be perfectly ideal. Guess it's just my luck.

Oh and, be happy you avoided the headaches that come with a secondary metal wedge. If hung properly they are completely unnecessary and do more harm than good.

Indeed, the grain orientation on this one was pretty much dead on, but it was the only one out of more than a dozen or so that I looked at! I had another axe going when I picked up this axe head, so I decided I could wait and look around and avoid the hit-or-miss prospect of ordering online. Basically for the past several months I have just been perusing the handle options any time I was in a hardware store. Right off the bat I picked up a perfect boy's axe handle (which I am now waiting to find a head for!), and only recently did I finally come across this one.

As for the wedges, I appreciate that perspective. I don't have enough experience to say one way or the other. On a theoretical level I like the idea of the circular wedge. It seems like it would bind the wedge and the handle into one unit, and expand in all directions to create a good fit.

Miller'72-Looks great, the only thing I would still do is to cut off the haft flush with the top of the head. Lath, carpenters half hatchet and some other hatchet heads are made completely flat on top so you can reach flush when cutting or nailing in corners. ceilings, etc.

I'd give it a few days, tap the wedge a couple more times, then cut/rasp it off.

Here is the Underhill Lathing Hatchet after trimming flush and tapping the wedge.
The wedge is solid, it didn't budge.

Thank you Axeman and JB for the advice.

Zo2iZBX.jpg

5uzC8y4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Back