1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What did you rehang today?

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Irongun324, May 1, 2013.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I prefer to fit the axe tight, cutting lines in the haft with the ridges and helping the process with a utility knife. Then once I've shouldered the axe I kerf and wedge it.

That looks like a typical Woodslasher (great axe). They came in black, too.

2. Drum4fun

Drum4fun

Mar 21, 2018
    Agent H.... I am really interested in the process/steps you take to size/place/kerf the
    haft... if possible could you please describe how the fitment takes place. Photos would
    be great. Thank you...beautiful ax.
    Charles

3. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    I would like it to have more meat right at the top of the eye right now but it's going down on the handle about another 1.5-2" where it's thicker.
    It's the handle from this old axe that was left to weather. The tongue was pretty messy once the head was off:

[​IMG]
    OldDryHandle
    by Agent Hierarchy

The head went on to be "remedied" somewhat and ended up on another handle. It went to a good home though.
    [​IMG]
    DryGrind
    by Agent Hierarchy

I try to true up the handle/tongue as much as possible before starting it. I use a small triangular file to kind of guide the ridges but they do their work for the most part. As it goes on, it's a good idea to remove the wood that pushes up at the bottom of the ridges. Also having a solid idea of where you want to have it end up is important.
    That handle has sat around here long enough - even with the grain like it is, it still wants to eat. I can try to take pictures when I get back to it if you like.

4. Drum4fun

Drum4fun

Mar 21, 2018
    Outstanding Agent H ... I appreciate the explanation.... and, as I am a visual learner any
    photos of the process would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Charles

5. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    [​IMG]
    finally got one of the woodslashers on a handle, the DB brian sent me is gonna have to wait for a bit, i'm going to get an adirondack handle from Mr. R_Lambracht on instagram, he makes wondeful handles and i personally am extremely excited to get my hands on one but i'v gotta find some dough to do it

6. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    That handle looks long and slim and whippy. I like it!

7. phantomknives

phantomknives

Mar 31, 2016
    it's the same handle that was with the spokeshaves in what did you sharpen today. i really like how it turned out

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
  9. Drum4fun

Drum4fun

Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  10. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    I did get to re-hang and make use of this old, well worn bandhack that was on hand, me not having use of my own trusty one.[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    3lbs. Dayton pattern

[​IMG]

29 1/2" hung...from a 32" Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first head soak. Thought an overnight would be good. Straight up BLO.

[​IMG]

See how this fella is in the morning, possibly drive the wedge a little deeper

12. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014

I wouldn't. It's going to be soaked and tight, so attempting to drive the wedge may not work. If it does not move you may damage/deform it. At this point I would leave it and try to tighten it down the road if it ever shows signs of movement.

muleman77 and Miller '72 like this.
  13. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Brian Rust and muleman77 like this.
  14. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks a million for the heads up on that.
    My first soak would have ended badly.

Thanks JB

muleman77 likes this.
  15. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Thanks.
    I've said it multiple times, but the steel is pretty darn decent and they're well worth $12 if a vintage head isn't available or if you wanna modify it.

muleman77 likes this.
  16. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Nice! :thumbsup:

Square_peg, muleman77 and Miller '72 like this.
  17. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  18. Miller '72

Miller '72

Jul 25, 2017
    Just shy of a total 1 1/2lbs.
    14 1/2" Link Hickory

Collins Legitimus Hartford

[​IMG]

Not done/satisfied with the pole yet but close
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coffee break ;)

19. Brian Rust

Brian Rust

Nov 14, 2017
    That is one sweet legit legitimus! Still has some life left in it!! To think someone almost melted it down boggles the mind....

muleman77 and Miller '72 like this.
  20. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I think bacck to the 70's and earlier when recycling wasn't really a thing. How many axes just went into the landfill? How many anvils!?!