What did you rehang today?

I've got a bunch of stuff I want to show you guys but it's field season start. But here's one I did the week before last. It's a big Kelly FE Michigan rescued from a flea market on a repurposed older Hults Bruk haft. There was barely any room on the shoulder, but she fit. This will be a heavy user and saw companion.

20190414_024905-893x1836.jpg 20190403_012456-893x1190.jpg

I've got a bunch of stuff I want to show you guys but it's field season start. But here's one I did the week before last. It's a big Kelly FE Michigan rescued from a flea market on a repurposed older Hults Bruk haft. There was barely any room on the shoulder, but she fit. This will be a heavy user and saw companion.

View attachment 1110114 View attachment 1110115
Did you cut your left hand with a handsaw too? While cutting the kerf deeper perhaps? 20190403_012456-893x1190.jpg 20190408_213013.jpg
That Michigan does look big! Did you weigh it before hanging?

I did weigh it at one point but have forgotten lol. I think it was 4.5, if I remember correctly. It's a large head, so much so the standard axe eye looks small in it.

And maybe, probably. I'm constantly cutting, snapping, burning, scraping, bashing and generally beating the snot out of my hands. When and how sort of goes unnoticed lol

Here's the Hoosier pattern hung and oiled.
698zIvZ.jpg

I had an old haft with an oddly shaped tongue that i used for this one. I got it set father down after these photos.
QFK024Z.jpg
YQSNJxm.jpg
It had a crack that I split apart, misted and glued together again. This one is mostly a wall hanger though I'm sure it'd stand up to some use.
1zYCmuq.jpg
X50VEA2.jpg
1V5vXMH.jpg
V1pYm4U.jpg

The tongue was an odd shape so top of the eye wasn't full. But the bottom is awesome. Total contact and smashed down hard.
4WujrEo.jpg

My first Hoosier! These old ones I think are really cool.
376GT8t.jpg

Have a great night!

698zIvZ.jpg

I had an old haft with an oddly shaped tongue that i used for this one. I got it set father down after these photos.
QFK024Z.jpg
YQSNJxm.jpg
It had a crack that I split apart, misted and glued together again. This one is mostly a wall hanger though I'm sure it'd stand up to some use.
1zYCmuq.jpg
X50VEA2.jpg
1V5vXMH.jpg
V1pYm4U.jpg

The tongue was an odd shape so top of the eye wasn't full. But the bottom is awesome. Total contact and smashed down hard.
4WujrEo.jpg

376GT8t.jpg

Have a great night!

That pattern makes an aggressive looking axe. Nice work putting that together and saving the old haft. :thumbsup:

Sometimes they really do spring back to life with oil and care.

698zIvZ.jpg

QFK024Z.jpg
YQSNJxm.jpg
1zYCmuq.jpg
X50VEA2.jpg
1V5vXMH.jpg
V1pYm4U.jpg

4WujrEo.jpg

376GT8t.jpg

Have a great night!

It's a beauty and extremely well done breathing life back into both Hoosier and haft:cool::thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words. Not only did I feel that that axe and haft went well together but whoever shaped that tongue before really limited its use. Plus the angle of the tongue in relation to the haft was leaning forward quite a bit. Whichever axe got hung on it would've necessarily had to have been hung very closed. Of course that looks stupid and doesn't perform if it isn't the right head. Just so happens that the bottom curve on that Hoosier is very steep and it worked out pretty good. I don't think I'm going to fill out the top of the eye. Not unless I decide to use it a bunch. Either way it's a looker! I'm glad you guys like it too. It's a neat pattern! Paid 30 bucks for it at an antique shop locally.

Thank you for the kind words. Not only did I feel that that axe and haft went well together but whoever shaped that tongue before really limited its use. Plus the angle of the tongue in relation to the haft was leaning forward quite a bit. Whichever axe got hung on it would've necessarily had to have been hung very closed. Of course that looks stupid and doesn't perform if it isn't the right head. Just so happens that the bottom curve on that Hoosier is very steep and it worked out pretty good. I don't think I'm going to fill out the top of the eye. Not unless I decide to use it a bunch. Either way it's a looker! I'm glad you guys like it too. It's a neat pattern! Paid 30 bucks for it at an antique shop locally.

I don't have a Hoosier but here is an old page from a catalog that does:
Belknap-Bevels.jpg

This was a west Germany ax I found a while back. The handle, when it was new, was the perfect handle. Not so much now. Seriously bowed and dry rot/ termite damage. So I used it for a template. I wish the link handle I started with had a larger swell and I could have gotten closer but it turned out pretty good. There is some run out lol but if/when I break it, I will rehang it.

It had been beat on a little so I cleaned up the top.

I still need to reprofile and put an edge on it. It has a slight “convexity” to its shape put not much. The steel is quite good from the little bit of filing I have done on it so far. Thanks for looking!

I've been trying to let a few days go by in between posts so I'm not bogarting the thread. It's been hard not to post this one though! Props to jblyttle for finding this and selling it! As usual there's a fair amount of pics.
p782l5U.jpg

A few pre-hang and some wedge action. I end up with about an inch of solid contact on the bottom with this one before I was done. Easy for once since it was the original haft and mechanically driven.
KrJNWuE.jpg
YotRkFz.jpg

I drove this wedge in 2-1/4". Out of 2-1/2"!
wkAODp4.jpg

I've never had a handle soak up this much blo before. I applied it liberally 4 times! And it was still absorbing it. Next two pics are the difference in color. Really amazing i think. As it arrived; IMG_20190326_130626.jpg
After blo!20190416_000437.jpg
And finally the normal pics.
4zlwS2z.jpg
2fkCUBa.jpg
Qp5ordz.jpg
wObrQZ5.jpg
LXMDW7l.jpg
BmDls8x.jpg

I'm real happy with this one! Thanks for checking it out!

698zIvZ.jpg

QFK024Z.jpg
YQSNJxm.jpg
1zYCmuq.jpg
X50VEA2.jpg
1V5vXMH.jpg
V1pYm4U.jpg

4WujrEo.jpg

376GT8t.jpg

Have a great night!

That Hoosier! What a big beautiful bastard!

Post away man! I say you you hang it post it.
^ What he said. We love seeing rehafting jobs, whether their one person's or 20's it's still cool to see 'em.

Thanks for the affirmation! Some folks posts are just a couple pics and thats it. Simple and to the point. I really do strive for the most contact and best hang possible so I end posting a lot of pics to show em off. 7-12 pics usually. I still have one more to post!
That Hoosier! What a big beautiful bastard!
Thanks! It is pretty big. Weighs #3-13.7oz. I'm guessing it started at 7"x7" and probably weighed close to 4 lbs. It's now 7"x6-1/2". I want to put it to work but I'm loath to grind it. I did file and hone a short 25° radial grind on it. It would be inefficient but still fun. I wish I knew some of the history of that axe...

Back