What did you rehang today?

Ok, it wasn't technically today, but since I haven't been around for a couple years I think it still counts. Repurposed handle from something else with this D Sharp head. I think this head might have the greatest form of any I have. Very slim profile, big bit, a slender poll and just shapely overall. I put it on this handle to hang on a wall since they look good together. I suppose someday I could get into some trail work and actually use it but I'd need to put it on a shorter handle then.
KrBblxm.jpg

lQcpjEN.jpg

Beautiful day to clean up an old hatchet!
JR292MZ.jpg

HQFzaNi.jpg

This Kelly Flint Edge had a nice, I suspect original handle, but it had a crack on the back of it and a badly mushroomed poll.
5VvacX7.jpg

IWzTfFd.jpg

ukgPVNB.jpg

Since I had to grind on the weld, I went ahead and cleaned up the poll at the same time with a flap wheel. Then finished it with 220 and 500 wet/dry on a 1/4 sheet sander before the wire wheel.
g9jKcBB.jpg

R1WRzUB.jpg

Drove home a Yankee Josh Yankee Josh Yellow Birch wedges.
jFGgien.jpg

Cfk9qMU.jpg

l1q9kwU.jpg

FQpbOlK.jpg

vrqu0TU.jpg

mGEgUlF.jpg

Qrca43a.jpg

That old dry handle really sucked up the BLO. I glued that split below the shoulder.
nXSecH7.jpg

JCyaMj4.jpg

1Fa6vQT.jpg

7CZcZwy.jpg

Does anyone know if these were only made before the addition of the graphic in 1897 or continued after?

Cheers!

Great save! Full marks!

Ok, it wasn't technically today, but since I haven't been around for a couple years I think it still counts. Repurposed handle from something else with this D Sharp head. I think this head might have the greatest form of any I have. Very slim profile, big bit, a slender poll and just shapely overall. I put it on this handle to hang on a wall since they look good together. I suppose someday I could get into some trail work and actually use it but I'd need to put it on a shorter handle then.
KrBblxm.jpg

lQcpjEN.jpg

Man that's nice. I have a serious crush on that thing.

Wow, that is a unique and handsome shape to that D Sharp axe. Am I seeing things or is there more metal on the poll behind the eye at the top than at the bottom? The way it is angled back in relation to the bit makes me think it was made that way to reinforce the area of the poll which is struck more frequently (the top) while still being able to achieve a closed hang on the handle. In any case I am very jealous. That thing is beautiful. :thumbsup:

3lb13oz plumb victory on a 32 inch handle.Been hung a couple weeks just got the handle how i like it.Sure is ugly but it chops beautiful.wells fargo near me address

Nothing ugly about that beauty!
That's the axe that makes you chop even when you don't have to.
Beautiful how your handle came out!
That Victory is screaming awesome man!
I have a spot for Victorys and that one is done perfectly and beautifully, swell to wedge!

That's an inspiring package Mr. Stien...thank you for sharing :cool::thumbsup:

Hopefully you will all forgive me for another long(ish) post. I think I've got a new favorite...
SzZi5TY.jpg

I've been saving this haft for over a year. I was told a guy's mother used to use this with a washboard to clean clothes. I'm not sure if i believe that? Here's a couple of the haft. What do you guys think? Just a home made handle or a washboard stick?
vCkJmSf.jpg
vUafbd6.jpg

There was no kerf and the swell was definitely shaped for being held only one way.
cwD3mIa.jpg
a48sfff.jpg

I find Diamond eyes are more difficult to get seated. But they sure do offer a secure hang. I've got hours in re-profiling and hanging this one. It's nothing new to spend many hours on one(every one really) but it adds to my feeling of pride in a job well done. I just used this axe and the handle feels welded to it.
L7ssKAR.jpg
56QkVJl.jpg
lrxYoSU.jpg
duIIJA6.jpg
PW7cYgq.jpg
os1es7d.jpg
E3wR4EI.jpg

This axe is an old Snow & Neally. It used to say OUR BEST and then under that the company name and location.
After filing and honing it weighs #3-5.4oz. #4-5.1oz with 32" hickory helve. I may reshape the swell because it's a little uncomfortable swinging the keen bit as it is now. But i think it's neat the way it is for now. Thanks for checking it out!

Last edited:
Hopefully you will all forgive me for another long(ish) post. I think I've got a new favorite...
SzZi5TY.jpg

I've been saving this haft for over a year. I was told a guy's mother used to use this with a washboard to clean clothes. I'm not sure if i believe that? Here's a couple of the haft. What do you guys think? Just a home made handle or a washboard stick?
vCkJmSf.jpg
vUafbd6.jpg

There was no kerf and the swell was definitely shaped for being held only one way.
cwD3mIa.jpg
a48sfff.jpg

I find Diamond eyes are more difficult to get seated. But they sure do offer a secure hang. I've got hours in re-profiling and hanging this one. It's nothing new to spend many hours on one(every one really) but it adds to my feeling of pride in a job well done. I just used this axe and the handle feels welded to it.
L7ssKAR.jpg
56QkVJl.jpg
lrxYoSU.jpg
duIIJA6.jpg
PW7cYgq.jpg
os1es7d.jpg
E3wR4EI.jpg

This axe is an old Snow & Neally. It used to say OUR BEST and then under that the company name and location.
After filing and honing it weighs #3-5.4oz. 32" hickory helve. I may reshape the swell because it's a little uncomfortable swinging the keen bit as it is now. But i think it's neat the way it is for now. Thanks for checking it out!

Really great to see!
My goodness that's a beautiful hang!

I wanted to add that even though in a few pictures it looks like there's voids, there isn't! Both on top and bottom the very ends of the eye have small deformities. Like small dents almost. Here are some close ups. I do every time but I really spent a long time getting this as close to perfect as possible. You can see the scraping down in a little ways.
sQqOSIo.jpg

o8uyJid.jpg

The top was a little harder to capture but what you can see is what there is. Just a small void in the steel at the very top.
8iheb3J.jpg
f7deNLg.jpg

Nothing is ever perfect but we can try!!!

SzZi5TY.jpg

vCkJmSf.jpg
vUafbd6.jpg

cwD3mIa.jpg
a48sfff.jpg

L7ssKAR.jpg
56QkVJl.jpg
lrxYoSU.jpg
duIIJA6.jpg
PW7cYgq.jpg
os1es7d.jpg
E3wR4EI.jpg

After filing and honing it weighs #3-5.4oz. 32" hickory helve. I may reshape the swell because it's a little uncomfortable swinging the keen bit as it is now. But i think it's neat the way it is for now. Thanks for checking it out!
damn i need a diamond eye

These probably don't belong in this thread just yet but I was simply pleased that the handles essentially fit without any modification to get them in there.
The nice thing about many of the rafting/construction patterns is that they do tend to have somewhat larger eyes.

*Also needed a reason to clear my work space.

Back