What did you rehang today?

Collins Pulaski getting ready for Wildfire season

I grinded the chips out with an angle grinder and water cooling.

I then used the work sharp Ken Onion belt sharpener with the 60 grit grinding belt to finish the job.

Looks work ready! Good hang! Will you be working the lines this year?

I've had this dingy but nice replacement handle and this nice boy's axe/large hatchet head for a while and finally had a chance to marry them. The head is roughly 2lbs or a bit more and the handle is 19.5". Toral weigh is a hair over 3lbs. The head is stamped simply, "Bay State".

Ole E&S head made for the Talbot Brooks and Ayer hardware co. out of Portland ME. Handle has just a WEE bit of a warp to it that'll need to be taken care of, and some more sanding/oiling/repeating after the handle is good. Needs some repair in the overstrike area but I'm destined to at least try to save the handle, feels to perfect NOT to. Worst comes to worst I'll have an awesome pattern.
13177465_1151219834898454_5374004980908726385_n.jpg

13178981_1151219848231786_3047432791672140732_n.jpg

Handle has just a WEE bit of a warp to it that'll need to be taken care of, ....... but I'm destined to at least try to save the handle, feels to perfect NOT to. Worst comes to worst I'll have an awesome pattern.

13178981_1151219848231786_3047432791672140732_n.jpg

You ain't kidding!. At least the warp looks largely to be unidirectional with a long and consistent curve. All the best with the steam box, tinfoil wrap over the stove or whatever method you plan to use.

Ole E&S head made for the Talbot Brooks and Ayer hardware co. out of Portland ME. Handle has just a WEE bit of a warp to it that'll need to be taken care of, and some more sanding/oiling/repeating after the handle is good. Needs some repair in the overstrike area but I'm destined to at least try to save the handle, feels to perfect NOT to. Worst comes to worst I'll have an awesome pattern.
13177465_1151219834898454_5374004980908726385_n.jpg

It's a great looking haft if you can straighten it - and I bet you can. The swell looks amazingly comfortable.

(con)current project.

ctP18YA.jpg

z8y961u.png

V9WxUjd.jpg

One of the things I keep coming back to.

Last edited:
The entire handle is wicked comfortable, doing a bit a day, oiling at least twice and hitting it with a torch once after piling for some heat bending. After warming until it's too hot to touch I clamp it between two boards in my bench vise until it's a little more straight than last time. Don't want to stress it too much at once and break it.

Sorry for the crap photo, but she's coming along nicely. A bit of tweaking here and there and she'll be good. Going to give it a soak in BLO, light sanding, and seal some of the larger cracks with some epoxy and it'll be good for hanging.

13223554_1152933288060442_2117099718_o.jpg

One of the things I keep coming back to.[/QUOTE]

I like those swells you do Agent. Even if they do have a horsey look I bet it's comfortable to use. Nice file work too.

So new to the forum and figured this was a way to introduce myself I am hanging two flea market finds a council 2 1/2 michigan axe and a US01 stamped head I cleaned up. Not done yet still wanted to share some pics as I took the US01 out of electrolysis bath yesterday to remove the rust.
GXygTa

So new to the forum and figured this was a way to introduce myself I am hanging two flea market finds a council 2 1/2 michigan axe and a US01 stamped head I cleaned up. Not done yet still wanted to share some pics as I took the US01 out of electrolysis bath yesterday to remove the rust.
GXygTa

Here's the .JPG file from the (hidden) link that was provided:

26882975011_bc225a7111_b.jpg

The "Council" reference must be a typo (clearly a Collins).

The head that's stamped US01 was likely made by Ames/TrueTemper at the former Woodings-Verona factory in Falls City, Nebraska in 2001.

Ames (or its parent company) bought Woodings-Verona in 1997.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/U.S.+Industries+purchases+Woodings-Verona+Tool+Works+for+$6.2+million.-a019029601

One of the things I keep coming back to.

I like those swells you do Agent. Even if they do have a horsey look I bet it's comfortable to use. Nice file work too.[/QUOTE]

hehehhe I was about to say the same! :) on all count!

GXygTa

I hope you didn't pay much for that Collins axe , because it's a modern cheapo made in Mexico by truper.
By the way is that hatchet a Bridgeport ?

Yeah it was a typo have a broken finger right now so my typing skills are limited thanks for the help in correcting the link

I have 5 bucks in that collins and 5 in the Ames and yes that is a bridgeport hatchet caught my attention that I just acquired this weekend. Got a 32" & 30" handle from house handle company so will rehang them in the next few days. I got more in the handles than the heads. And the Bridgeport is just cool want to keep the original scales on it.

I like those swells you do Agent. Even if they do have a horsey look I bet it's comfortable to use. Nice file work too.

hehehhe I was about to say the same! :) on all count!

Neigh. The ones I have done like this are actually very comfortable to use. They are a more abrupt shape. I get a kick out of them. The normal swell shape is there but I just didn't cut of the excess for a 45 degree angle (or so).

Also, being store bought handles, some don't really have much meat to begin with so I leave them be more or less. Taping it off helps somewhat. The classic fawnsfoot doesn't need improving by any means. For example, Darthtaco's handle a couple posts up is pretty sleek.

Horsey - yeah, but it fits the hand well...

I had so much trouble getting this House Boys handle to align. The last order I received from them really disappointed me. The handles were straight and had decent grain alignment but the eyes were so misaligned; possibly by as much as10 degrees. Anyhow I got it true.

I don't know much about the head. It says "Powr Kraft". It seems very well made with nice convex cheeks and a slim profile.

I forgot to take a picture of the knob end that I shaped. I'll post one later.

Last edited:
Back