What do you recommend for a production skinning knife?

I was asked to suggest a good production skinning knife to a guy I know. I figured I'd ask what my fellow knife-nut friends would suggest to ensure a really good choice. Specifically, I'm also wondering what anyone can tell me about Cold Steel's Master Hunter. How does it perform? Would you suggest Carbon V or stainless? Thanks!!!

------------------
"Come What May..."

The Master Hunter is a great all-around hunting knife; I've used one to field dress, skin and butcher a number of deer and moose. Cold Steel's Elk Hunter (Red River division) is another excellent skinner. I favor the Carbon V steel. For smaller game, trappers in northern Alberta make do with whatever's available, usually the little Mora knives. I made one up with a Frost's laminated steel blade for a trapper friend who declared it the best skinning knife he'd ever had, especially when it came to fleshing out difficult critters like otters. I'm going to try a Colorado Cutlery small drop-point this fall; it should work well for deer.

Oh this should be fun!
You should post this in the General Forum for a raucus good time. You'll get lots of replies over there.
Man, there are sooo many great choices right now. It's a real buyer's market out there for this kinda knife.
Master Hunter is very high in the recommendation's dept.
Fallkniven's F1 is excellent.
Spyderco's Morans. Notice I said *Morans*.
They now have the beveled variety with Concealex sheath system as well as the leather sheathed Moran(convex edged) version. Both are killer.
I'm gonna let it go at that and give others a chance to weigh in on their fave's.
Have fun!

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.

I recently used my Benchmade Nimvirus Cub to skin and dress a dozen squirrels , great knife for the job.
"P"

There are a few you need to look at but, start with the Spyderco Moran or Wegner. Both are great knives.

I'll also recommend the Spyderco Moran and Wegner.

------------------
-Dennis

I like the big Wegner, but if money is tight, I have to give the nod to the new Gerber Gator with the drop-point ATS-34 blade. It's a helluva user knife, and with a little shopping you can find 'em cheap. Good handle configuration, very nice blade design, and tough as heck. If an inexpensive fixed blade is what you're after, check out the Schrade Pro Hunter. It's a Loveless design, and may be the most under-rated hunting knife on the market.

[This message has been edited by ptpalpha (edited 31 October 1999).]

I would have to say the A.G Russell Deer Hunter ATS-34

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

Blackjack Woodsman
Blackjack Trailguide
Buck Masters Series Vanguard
Marbles/Loveless Sport

------------------
Bill
"There's nothing friendlier than a wet dog"
"The more people I meet the more I like my dogs"

Schrade PH-1
Buck 103
Spyderco Wegner
any of these will do a good job,the PH-1 Pro Hunter is discontinued,but there are still a few of them out there.
Tony Paulos

The AG Russell is a good choice. I'm glad to see another vote for the venerable Schrade PH1. I'm toying with the idea of having a kydex sheath made for mine, since (being young and foolish) I put camo tape all over the nice leather pouch sheath, and now it's got nasty glue residue covering it.

My recommendation is a custom, not production, but it falls very much into the price range of the production models already mentioned.

The Dozier Yukon Pro Skinner is an awesome field dressing tool. It is extremely sharp, it stays sharp through at least 4 large northern whitetails, and it is very easy to bring the edge back to scalpel sharp. Bob's grinds and sheaths are the best in the business. The cost is quite a value, especially considering what you get.

I have yet to see it's peer in field dressing game, let alone it's better.

AJ

pt, to get that glue residue off... get some Bestine Rubber Cement Thinner, available at an art supply store, staples etc. If you can't find that try lighter fluid. I'm not sure if it will turn the leather colors, but it will be better than being all sticky.

OLD TIMMER OR SCHARDE( SHARP FINGER ) it is a fixed blade and cost 25.00 or less.It has one Mean Blade perfect to get the eye`s with!!

[This message has been edited by RICH LITTLE (edited 31 October 1999).]

I am planning to use my Spyderco Wegner this year, and with a little bit more than a little luck I will have a chance to use it.

I have never carried only a folder while deer hunting, but I see absolutely no reason the Wegner shouldn't do everything I would want.

I have carried the Cold Steel Master Hunter in the past. I know there are people here that think highly of it. I can assure you that I am not one of them! Talk about a knife with no spirit, no life, no sole, this it. Just a sharpened hunk of steel. I started dressing out a deer with it and changed over to an old slip joint Winchester stockman before I was half done. The thing is utterly useless! IMHO
smile.gif

Mike

Holy!!!! I post a question, have a week-end away from the computer and I come back to sooo many answers to my question! It's almost as good as Christmas!! (Almost, because Christmas means ACTUAL knives under the tree, not just talking about them! Keep the recommendations comming!

One knife not yet recommended is the Grohman pelter. Great belly, comfy handle and a steel that holds an edge well and sharpens easily.

Back