What do you recommend for a production skinning knife?

AJ is absolutely correct. I'd thought that the Dozier Pro was out of this range, but if not, by all means do yourself a favor. It is one seriously awesome tool. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and man, what a knife! Check it out on AG Russell's site-it's a beauty! And Ebbtide-thanks! I'll give it a try (because I do love the little leather pouch sheath the PH1 came with!)
But seriously, rest assurred that when I leave for my annual whitetail hunt in Mio, Michigan Nov 12(c'mon...c'mon!!!) with me will be my Dozier Professional Skinner, my Dozier Straight Hunter, and my annual, perpetual hope! Good hunting to all!

------------------
"This is the last one. I mean it this time."

I'll 2nd the Schrade Sharpfinger for "best buy". Carbon or stainless steel, there are 2-3 models (I believe the carbon is 1095) - I've seen them for < $16.00 on sale.

I took your question a little differently than most. Since I used to process meat for a living to get through school, I thought you meant, "what production knife would you use for skinning!" All the above answers are knives that are adapted by the users for skinning. The knives actually used for skinning in a packing house are made for such. I would recommend a Forschner Lamb Skinner #8199-5. These are used in packing houses all over the country/world. They are only for skinning and are great at it. I take one with me on deer/elk hunts here in Idaho.

I have this pet peeve that we knife nuts have to have the latest and greatest "tactical" knife that is developed for best use by soldiers but we will never use. Then we want to go out and skin a deer with it and claim how good it was at this job. Listen up, folks! You will not see and Buck folders, Bob Dozier knives, BM Nimravi (plural for Nimravus, I think), any folders at all, etc. in a packing house where people remove the hide from animals all day long. The above Forschner is less than $15, won't make your hand tired, stays sharp, and won't make you cry if you lose it.

Bruce Woodbury

Bruce,

I noticed the same ambiguity in the topic title. In my field dressing kit I also pack a Forschner skinning knife, a modified offset-handled boning knife, a stiff 5" boning knife, a paring knife, and a 7" butcher knife. I just don't carry all of those on my belt. I expect my Buck Vanguard with BG-42 alloy blade to be able to do the whole job if I need to get started before I get back to the car. If I can get to the car I'll get the whole kit and bone my game out in the field.

I sure wouldn't mind if Forschner sold a sheath for the skinning knife.

Jeff, I know what you mean about the sheath! I also carry a Forschner 6" curved, medium stiff boner (stop laughing!) in my kit. Yes, I suppose I could do it all with my sheath knife but these knives are light enough that I don't mind carrying them, unless I'm close to the truck. I've never been a fan of processing game with a folder, too much "guk" to clean out of the nooks and crannies.

I found a type of snap on blade guard for these two meat processing knives but I'm at work and can't remember what the name of it is--it's at home.

Bruce Woodbury

Hey Bruce, where can I get one of these Forschner (excuse the spelling) knives? I spent last summer in a pig plant with Victorinox boning knives on my hip and I realize just how versatile those knives are... I don't know why I didn't think about asking what the meat industry uses for skinning!! Damn mid-terms!

------------------
"Come What May..."

for skinning alone, i'd recommend the wyoming knife that was mentioned before. i also like to use my wenger jr and i do have a CS master hunter that i think is great for skinning. i've never used specialized meat house skinning knives and most likely never will, since the knives i have do a fine job when i actually get game.

Forschner and Victorinox are the same company. They are interchangeable.

Bruce Woodbury

Take a look at the Uluchet, for skinning and field dressing it can't be beat. There is a review of a moose hunt about a month back that tells of the performance in field use conditions. If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them for you.

------------------
P.J.
P.J. Turner Knife Mfg, Inc.
Uluchet, What's an Uluchet? Find out at...
www.silverstar.com/turnermfg

The new Marbles knives are great. I prefer them to many of the custom skinners ive used and owned.

I seem to recall that the Marbles Bison is a bit over 0.20in thick, do you know how thick the others are ? The Plainsman looks very attractive, the Bison too, in stacked leather.

try one with a gut hook..it works wonderful for the legs and skinning too..mine is made in finland... so it must be sandvik steel..sure works well though......

[This message has been edited by budman (edited 08 November 1999).]

Check out the Marble's pages. The Woodcraft or fieldcraft depending on size are nice. Best production blades I know of for any price. Discount knives has them for great prices.

Where can I get more info on Mike Irie's knives? I have seen a few of them in magazines and WOW are those nice knives!!

------------------
"Come What May..."

Here ya go. Wood & Irie 3002 E.Gunnison St. Colorado Springs, CO. 80909...719-578-9226

Here ya go. Wood & Irie 3002 E.Gunnison St. Colorado Springs, CO. 80909...719-578-9226

Hey Bruce I've never seen a Butcher use a Hollow Gound knife, have you?

I agree with the others on the Wegner. I really enjoy mine, and I will always keep my vintage PUMA on hand. The new GERBER GATOR fixed blade should be a good choice, and if anyone knows where to find one, please let me know.

Thanks,

RattlerXX

Back