What do you recommend for a production skinning knife?

Somewhere in the last few issues of TK, there was a feature on 4 new knives by KaBar, explicitly for cleaning game -- deer. They did say too small for elk. If I recall, MSRPs from $42 - $45. Very thin blades, that apparently cut all day. The writer's favorite was the "large skinner."

Checked Bayou Lafourche. They're called the Precision Huntes. Actually 6 models. Pretty sure it was the model 44 that the writer of the review praised so highly. Sell for $28-$29.
------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 03-31-2001).]

For skinning game, it would be hard to beat a Marbles Fieldcraft or Northwoods Big Game Skinner, depending on the size of game you're skinning. In my opinion, they are unequalled among production knives for steel quality and edge geometry for skinning.

Heyyyyy! I haven't seen this old thread since last hunting season. Anyways, Production-wise, the best kept secret and most underrated knife out there is the Schrade Sharpfinger. Unbelievable hunter for the pennies you shell out. Throw the sheath away immediately though. You might as well just carry the bare blade in your pocket. It'd be safer and more secure that way.

But why get production when you could have CUSTOM!

Hey Vel, imagine MY surprise when I open my e-mail and there are notices telling me that someone has replied to my old topic!!! This is cool. I haven't had someone revive one of my old threads yet. I guess I am an OLD BladeForums member now!

Have fun discussing this topic, ya huntin' bastids.

------------------
"Come What May..."

Bruce is on the button. I love my military set knives but with the best will in the world they don't do a neat job of skinning. Most medium stock hunters don't either. Folders are a mess. I've seen a Kudu (Moose sized Whitetail) skinned out with a razor. Keep it slim.

Absolute best? Get a Dozier!!!

But if you must get production, try Grohmann of Pictou, Nova Scotia. Model #4 for larger game, or the camper #1 or #2 for almost anything, including all your camp/cooking needs. Another called the Mini Skinner will clean all but the largest animals.
These knives are available in either Stainless or Carbon steels. They don't advertise the actual name of the steels, but I can tell you they hold an edge with the best production knives. The carbon is easier, as per usual, to sharpen.
They are also available in various handle materials such as resinwood, stag, buffalo horn and more.
Most knives also are available with 2 or 3 sheath options, one of which includes a 6 inch sharpening steel.
You really can't go wrong with all the choices available. Alot of us Canadians rely on these knives for all of our outdoor adventures, especially hunting. But don't take my word for it. Check out recent issues of Tactical Knives for glowing reviews.
All this and very reasonable prices. Plus, if you order from the states, you take advantage of the favorable exchange on the dollar
Still, I'd spend more cash and get a Dozier. But just because I like them (Doziers) better doesn't mean I won't use my awesome Grohmanns anymore. In fact, at least one will always accompany me into the bush.

Back