What do you think is the best knife that Spyderco has released in the last five years?

Admittedly I haven't handled a large volume of new Spydercos, but I'm really happy with the Para3 LW. It is my go-to when I'm in a city/state with more restrictive knife laws.

The Gayle Bradley 2

Based on my sample of owning over 100 Spyderco's, 20-40 Benchmade's, one of each of Chris Reeves knives, and others, I have continuously returned to the Gayle Bradley 2. To me it balances time (to maintain M4), cost, and quality. Here is why I think it is Spyderco's best knife by my definition.
  • Cost: Less than $170 (when I picked one up on sale new a couple years ago)
  • Size: Medium sized that can be used for small light duty tasks to heavy duty tasks, and do so all day long
  • Time: M4 steel takes a wicked edge and keeps it for a long time so I can work longer, and sharpening doesn't take me long so down time is short and back to work
  • Ergos: Does not force you into one preferred grip or slicing angle, but the handle thumb rest is very comfortable to use all-day.
  • Handle: The carbon fiber looks great and cleans up easy. The offset scales don't feel the best after a long time cutting, but also due to the chamfered edges, I don't feel hot spots.
  • Blade shape: versatile and can be used in a variety of angles
  • Blade grind: The hollow grind allows it to slice easily without giving up strength due to the thick spine (reminds me of a Sebenza)
  • The pivot/deployment is silky smooth, yet controlled (reminds me of a Sebenza)
I could go on, but I won't bore you all more as I gush over my GB2. I'll end with saying that I have often considered it my "one knife for life" if I had to.

The Gayle Bradley 2

Based on my sample of owning over 100 Spyderco's, 20-40 Benchmade's, one of each of Chris Reeves knives, and others, I have continuously returned to the Gayle Bradley 2. To me it balances time (to maintain M4), cost, and quality. Here is why I think it is Spyderco's best knife by my definition.
  • Size: Medium sized that can be used for small light duty tasks to heavy duty tasks, and do so all day long
  • Time: M4 steel takes a wicked edge and keeps it for a long time so I can work longer, and sharpening doesn't take me long so down time is short and back to work
  • Ergos: Does not force you into one preferred grip or slicing angle, but the handle thumb rest is very comfortable to use all-day.
  • Handle: The carbon fiber looks great and cleans up easy. The offset scales don't feel the best after a long time cutting, but also due to the chamfered edges, I don't feel hot spots.
  • Blade grind: The hollow grind allows it to slice easily without giving up strength due to the thick spine (reminds me of a Sebenza)
  • The pivot/deployment is silky smooth, yet controlled (reminds me of a Sebenza)
I could go on, but I won't bore you all more as I gush over my GB2. I'll end with saying that I have often considered it my "one knife for life" if I had to.
I'd actually like to hear more of your gushing over the GB2.

Had one. Sold it (with instant regret). I need a bit of a nudge to pull the trigger again...

I think the GB2 is an interesting design, and I have a GB1 in my garage as a work knife. My typical EDC is either a PM2 or a Manix 2. I like both but I like the design of the PM2 best. There are some bits about the GB1 that I don't like, and in common with a lot of people one of the things I don't like is the limited access to the lock bar. If I had the ability to custom design any model for Spyderco I would either make slight changes to the GB2 or I would morph the PM2 blade shape to look a little more like the GB2.

The Gayle Bradley 2

I’m pretty much with this guy.

Back