What EDC Around $100

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by simple6, Sep 3, 2019.

1. simple6

simple6

Oct 6, 2002
    What do you recommend for an EDC 3.25-3.5 blade for a C note?

2. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    Any preferences that might help narrow things down (thickness, steel, opening method, etc.)?

3. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Benchmade Bugout all day long. A little over $100, but not much. My most carried knife.

cchu518, abbazaba and Dadpool like this.
  4. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Three I love available around that price point:

Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight: amazing knife that will do anything you need it to without weighing you down. Available near your price in BD1, or in fantastic S110V for ~$30 more (a steal).

Benchmade Bugout: @halden.doerge is right about the Bugout. It's become my all time favorite Benchmade knife (though I must admit switching over to awesome G-10 scales from KSF kicked my affection up to a whole other level of love). Thinnest and lightest of the three I'm suggesting, though all three are very light knives.

Cold Steel Golden Eye/Golden Eye Elite: I didn't expect to love this knife, but I have a Golden Eye Elite and it's a really great knife. After being discontinued prices have dropped, and a green one is under your price, and the big river has the Elite (CF version) for $20 over. This thing is a hell of a knife for $120, IMO.

5. simple6

simple6

Oct 6, 2002
    I should have clarified no Benchmade. As for opening, flipper or stud. Steel, sv30 or better. S35vn would be nice, but I think cost would be a factor.

Chronovore, SW-EDC and Dadpool like this.
  6. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Cold Steel Recon 1 and a SAK

jlauffer and VernonRemington like this.
  7. GatorFlash1

GatorFlash1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2012
    Manix 2 Blue light weight. Great edc.

Earl1 likes this.
  8. Dadpool

Dadpool Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    The Cold Steel Code 4 comes in under your budget if you poke around a bit. Thumb stud, S35VN, a few different blade shapes, nice and thin in-pocket; if 3.5" is a hard legal limit for you, be aware that it is about 1/8" over that despite being listed as 3.5". Great knife, though.

jlauffer likes this.
  9. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Cold Steel American Lawman. 3.5" of S35VN + thumbstud + solid lock + videos of c00l dudes chopping dinosaurs in half :p . $95

Kizer has some nice offerings too. Mostly N690.

10. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Cold Steel ALM or Recon 1. Spyderco too.

insta9ves and jlauffer like this.
  11. Monofletch

Monofletch Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    The Civivi Damascus Knives come in well under $100

JDRanger likes this.
  12. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    535 Bugout is the perfect office EDC for me, and between it and the LW Para 3 they've dominated my summer EDC, work great in shorts when I really want a lightweight knife.

[​IMG]Untitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr

abbazaba likes this.
  13. simple6

simple6

Oct 6, 2002
    Lots of love for cold steel, hmm. Never been a lockback fan but they are solid.

Dadpool likes this.
  14. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Platinum Member

Mar 15, 2016
  15. whp

whp

Apr 26, 2009
    Get the American Lawman. Light, extremely strong, thin, great ergonomics and a s35vn blade. Very slicey.

Or the Recon 1 if you want a larger version.

Maybe the best bargains of all mentioned thus far.

insta9ves and jlauffer like this.
  16. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    These are ~$120 on the big river site right now, and while I really like the other Cold Steel knives mentioned here, I'd take take the extra expense and go with this one every time. CF and S35VN, 3.9oz, carries thin and feels great:

[​IMG]

The gold coloring does come off the opener in a hurry, but beyond that I have no complaints. Killer knife that was priced too high before, but now that it's disco'd is IMO a great deal.

17. unklfranco

unklfranco

Apr 2, 2011
    For EDC tasks I enjoy a Spyderco Endura. It is long enough to cut bagels or rolls with minimal repositioning. It is so light and disappears in pocket. VG 10 is in your budget but ZPD 189 holds a great edge for a longer time.
    Another high value alternative is a Buck 110 LT. For $20, it does just as good a job. It will need more frequent sharpening.
    As mentioned earlier, Buck has a 110 LT with S30V and Micarta scales. This will cost under $100, which is a great value. Good luck with your search and dont forget to get excellent sharpening stones.

18. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    gerber eab lite

19. flashcan556

flashcan556

Aug 31, 2019
    coast dx338

20. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    Civivi Statera or Wyvern ;)