What EDC Around $100

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Cold Steel was my first knife, Voyager I think. But I dont care for lockbacks.

I can carry an auto, Launch is on my radar.

I'm fixing to buy a launch 8 myself.

SK Blades "Smoke Jumper" Buck 110LT (CPM145 clip point blade) or SK Blades "The Shield" Buck 110LT (CPM154 drop pount blade) depending on which blade style you prefer.
The 110LT is light enough (under3 ounces) for pocket carry, or they come with a nylon belt sheath for horizontal or verical carry.

At under $40 each you could get both and have enough left over for a Pizza. :)

Sorry.
Missed the part about you not liking lockbacks.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback.

Cold Steel was my first knife, Voyager I think. But I dont care for lockbacks.

I can carry an auto, Launch is on my radar.
That’s too bad. CS is really hard to beat here. +1 to American Lawman for people who has similar criteria but are ok with lockback/Triad lock.

One thing I’d suggest would be cruise the for sale thread. You can find some good deals on great knives, my favorite edc is a benchmade 745 I picked up for under $100.

I’ve tried to like the manix but it’s just too wide in my pocket for my taste.

Para 3 Lightweight. I have a lot of other options but I carry this pretty much every day. It’s really good. The BD1N steel has been performing really well too.

I've been collecting for years , lots of knives . Just got Civivi Elementum , Great Knife ! fit and finish A-1 . D2 steel .
Sells for $50 to $75 depending on scales . check into You-Tube for video's . Again, Great Knife !

Can you please point me to $100 sages........

Do your homework, I've bought 2 of them in the past for around $115-$120 shipped. =D

they only go for around $150 brand new...

I figured if the OP could flex another $15-$20... he could get something really great for cheap!

If you can settle for BD1 I'd agree with the Para 3 lightweight or even the Manix 2. If you absolutely have to have S30v or better, the Gerber Fastball might be a good option, though I haven't been able to try one yet, it has decent reviews. At that budget you might want to try second hand in the classifieds as the pickins are slim with your criteria.

One thing I can say for certain is stay far away from the Bear Ops Rancor 2. The price is alluring but that thing is one of the worst knives I've ever had the displeasure of owning and the company has zero CS in my experience.

Do your homework, I've bought 2 of them in the past for around $115-$120 shipped. =D

they only go for around $150 brand new...

I figured if the OP could flex another $15-$20... he could get something really great for cheap!

Ahhhh I thought you meant new, my mistake

Thank you everyone. I will cruise the classifieds here.

The Civici Elementum is on my short list, even though it is D2.

What is the difference between the CS Triad and standard lockback?

What is the difference between the CS Triad and standard lockback?

IIRC, the Triad lock is essentially a lock back with a stop pin added. The stop pin helps counter vertical play and makes it stronger.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

IIRC, the Triad lock is essentially a lock back with a stop pin added. The stop pin helps counter vertical play and makes it stronger.

If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.
:) You are totally correct .

The Tri-ad lock is also self adjusting as it wears in over time . It will retain a rock solid lockup for many years with no fussing . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:) You are totally correct .

The Tri-ad lock is also self adjusting as it wears in over time . It will retain a rock solid lockup for many years with no fussing . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Doc’s right. I’ll add that while the stop pin is the main difference that transfer the load to the handle, the other thing that makes triad lock truly strong is the way the lock contact the blade tang. Unlike typical backlock, the contact of triad lock is angled in a way that forms a hook. IMO this is where the tru strength comes from. The only way to achieve this is to give the lockbar ability to travel forward and back, instead of just rotating along the lockbar pivot. This is why the hole of the lockbar pivot is oval instead of round.
IMO describing Triad lock as a lockback with stop pin is over simplification because of the above. The change in the lockbar travel and the contact may be less visible, but has significant impact.

Trust me.

Cold steel Recon 1 and a SAK Huntsman.

Shop a bit and you can get both for 100... this combo is hard to beat.

Doc’s right. I’ll add that while the stop pin is the main difference that transfer the load to the handle, the other thing that makes triad lock truly strong is the way the lock contact the blade tang. Unlike typical backlock, the contact of triad lock is angled in a way that forms a hook. IMO this is where the tru strength comes from. The only way to achieve this is to give the lockbar ability to travel forward and back, instead of just rotating along the lockbar pivot. This is why the hole of the lockbar pivot is oval instead of round.
IMO describing Triad lock as a lockback with stop pin is over simplification because of the above. The change in the lockbar travel and the contact may be less visible, but has significant impact.

Very nice explanation.

Back