What Fiddleback Forge knife are you totin' today?

Gotcha. I really really like the lonestar. It took me a little bit to get one. I have a feeling we will be seeing more of them in the future.

I sure hope so, I need one with a wooden handle :)

15AC6EDB-05A2-42AA-9934-04024676FA39.jpg

Esquire, with a GEC #25 and Wolstenholm IXL barlow.

~ P.

"This is a standard EDC-II. The Lonestar is a clipped version of it. I guess the western flavor is how the Lonestar got its name."

Thanks Brian, for your thoughts. Yet I think there's a bit more to this story as the term "Lone Star" seems to directly refer to the flag of my home state, Texas, at one time a sovereign republic. So to the name and popular definition of "Maverick", another fine FF blade, also has ties to Texas by way of Samuel Maverick [1803-1870] .
I apologize if this might be TMI. I'm a bit of a curious etymologist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"This is a standard EDC-II. The Lonestar is a clipped version of it. I guess the western flavor is how the Lonestar got its name."

Thanks Brian, for your thoughts. Yet I think there's a bit more to this story as the term "Lone Star" seems to directly refer to the flag of my home state, Texas, at one time a sovereign republic. So to the name and popular definition of "Maverick", another fine FF blade, also has ties to Texas by way of Samuel Maverick [1803-1870] .
I apologize if this might be TMI. I'm a bit of a curious etymologist.

You just never know what inspires a knife maker for the names of his models. It could have been inspired by a Texas Ranger, or perhaps Andy once ate an excellent steak in Texas. I certainly ate a few at Delmonico's in Austin back in the 70s :) I'm just guessing. Ony Andy, and perhaps Philip knows the real answer...

You just never know what inspires a knife maker for the names of his models. It could have been inspired by a Texas Ranger, or perhaps Andy once ate an excellent steak in Texas. I certainly ate a few at Delmonico's in Austin back in the 70s :) I'm just guessing. Ony Andy, and perhaps Philip knows the real answer...

Or he could be a huge fan of Bill Pullman's performance as Lone Star in Spaceballs. :D:eek::D

Lol I apologize for the initial mung ... suffice to say I hope we do see more of the lone star on upcoming Friday's.

Lol I apologize for the initial mung ... suffice to say I hope we do see more of the lone star on upcoming Friday's.

Lol, about the only place I sweat the mung is in the flea market, where mung seems to add to the already stressful lives of others. In the other places I just enjoy the conversations, camaraderie, and photos. If it helps I'll post a pic of the one Im totin' today, the Rustic Wrap EDC-II again. I am really digging this knife this way. I like how it very thin in the sheath, so light and discrete yet very comfortable and extremely controllable in use. Now that I have Pippin's Lonestar sorted for the project, I think I want a cord wrapped swedged Lonestar for edc. This one rides really well even in my jogging pants when I am out for late night walks, or in my PJs when I suddenly have to make a quick store run at night. I picked this one up at first to study this model for the project...but then really liked how it feels in hand. I think the cord wrapped models are undeservedly underappreciated. I'm going to post a thread on this one tonight or tomorrow.

5.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

d8d6e184e797bcaef2f95979e076b7fb.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree Sir I've got two "wrapped " blades I love to carry; the above Runt

0dcb68101fccbcb010a2ef42cdcdd896.jpg
and one of Allen's "Short Muks". For most of my needs with my students recycling program the Runt is perfectly suited. When I'm out and about here in the country the larger short muk prevails.

0ae2af935e5dfbf1e183e7793d4a7772.jpg

My edc today: a very nice Runt, fresh from the spa and sold to me at a more than fair price. thanks Jerry

Last edited:
Yep, and really slice nice in a high grind 3/32

I don't have as much material for comparison ;), but 3/32" really does seem right for this pattern (and most of my uses, even in patterns scaled larger) all the way 'round-- although I do like the 'wholesomeness' of my Patch knife in 1/8" steel:

IMG_0316.jpg~original

1/8" Patch, 3/32" Esquire

3/32" Esquire, which very coincidentally happens to sport the colors of my alma mater:
IMG_3360.jpg~original

~ P.

Back