What flashlights do you Rats carry

The 2014 version of the Fenix PD35 will be in stock next week supposedly. 960 lumens on 1 18650 battery in a relatively small convenient package. I keep circling back to that one. Can be had for under 70 shipped... and i like Fenix...

I wish Fenix had not gone to the secondary switch for changing modes. Its the one thing I really dislike about my PD32 and why I am looking more at Eagletac for my new light. Although I cant seem to stop looking at the Zebra SC600 its just such a compact and powerful light.

Started a thread like this in the Hinderer sub-forum long ago...currently HDS lights. But eyes open to the future.

I really really like Olight, for battery life, especially on aa, and aaa. I have the older versions of the T25, and the I3 and they are great lights. As much or more output than I ever really need, and amazing battery life on low.
The newer ones are even better. I dont have a ton of flashlight experience as far as tactical lights and such, but for my uses Olight is hard to beat. The I3 is tiny and rides in a pocket like its not there, and the T25 is 250 lumens on high, 15 on low with 108 hours of life at low .... 108 ! at 15 lumens which is brighter than you might think. Love em.

Ah ha, Flashaholics in the Swamp too... :thumbup:

HDS LE 200 in my right pocket and a Surefire E2D Ultra on the belt.

I swap out the SF for a FoxyFury Checkmate Rook when I want or need a higher CRI light with more lumens than the HDS. ;)

I like gear too so there isn't just once answer. I usually have some sort of Surefire in my left front pocket. Lately after purchasing and slightly modifying a KSF city sheath I have been carrying a Muddy Rodent 3 with a TnC Micro Lux flashlight with the 10440 battery extension. This version is brass running direct drive from a 3.7v 10440 battery with an output around 275 lumens.

Enough technical talk, here is a picture.

Last edited:
Main light is usually a custom modded SureFire L1.

Cranks out 200+ lumens on High. And 40 on Low.

Modded by Scott Clawson (A.K.A. ~ MilkySpit on CPF).

A master of the craft of modding lights.

Though currently for work purposes, main light is an EagleTac P10A. One of the original set of lights the company first produced when they came into existence. Love the U.I., but not the company. (I wonder if that Made in China brand is still pretending to be American.) Basically, I don't care about the light. If it gets damaged, lost, or stolen; so what?

Back-up light is one I do care about. 4Sevens Preon 2 with the flat tailcap of a Preon 1 on it. Excellent low-profile, deep carry, back pocket light thanks to the clip and the flat Preon 1 tailcap.

Plan on swapping out my keychain light soon. Though nothing wrong with it, and I highly recommend the Photon Freedom model. A genuine water-proof little coin-cell light.

Loaner light in my work bag/Get Home Bag is an older 2AA LED Mini-Mag model with one output setting. Just like the Eagletac, I don't care about it either. Thus why I carry it as a loaner light.

I am starting to think my next light will be the Malkoff MDC HA 1xAA. Seems to be everything I want in an EDC light.

Dingle, I like setup. I'm interested in the modification done to the sheath.
I have a Rodent 3 (sweet little big blade) thanks to Zymologist and Man, do I love it. My edc light is just an Energizer Tactical Metal 1AA light. 85 lumens w/ 4 hours run time. It seems to meet my needs. It rides in my left front pocket with my Case Baby Butterbean Canoe knife until I need to see into a dark crevice of a machine for inspection, or feed dogs at night, etc.
I like gear too so there isn't just once answer. I usually have some sort of Surefire in my left front pocket. Lately after purchasing and slightly modifying a KSF city sheath I have been carrying a Muddy Rodent 3 with a TnC Micro Lux flashlight with the 10440 battery extension. This version is brass running direct drive from a 3.7v 10440 battery with an output around 275 lumens.

Enough technical talk, here is a picture.

Had some "River store" gift card money to spend, and i have been drooling over this light for a while.. SO i went ahead and jumped on it since its not coming out of pocket... Because when money comes out of my pockets is hard to let it go for something thats NOT sharp LOL

fenix-pd35-2-008.jpg

Got it in a bundle :D
14796816826_4ba0a12352.jpg

Fenix says with 2 CR123A batteries it will do 1000 lumen. And with 1X 18650 battery it will do 960 Lumen. Pretty compact light for all that output.

WW just a heads up Fenix tends to over do there lumen ratings as do most Chinese flashlight companies. That being said if the 35 didn't have that freaking side switch on it I would jump on it. BTW don't get to into flashlights or you will end up light me and getting more lights and less knives.

That's an awesome bundle deal with a charger and a 3400 mah 18650. If you have never used a 18650 before be prepared to be amazed at the increased runtime they offer over primaries. Maybe one day HOPEFULLY Surefire will start making lights with 18mm tubes, I would love a Px2 Fury that would hold a 18650 so the runtime wouldn't be so bad on high.

I have a fenix TK-15 that I keep in my truck and a aaa minimag led for work . I keep a 3d cell maglight with led conversion in the garage.

WW just a heads up Fenix tends to over do there lumen ratings as do most Chinese flashlight companies. That being said if the 35 didn't have that freaking side switch on it I would jump on it. BTW don't get to into flashlights or you will end up light me and getting more lights and less knives.

That's an awesome bundle deal with a charger and a 3400 mah 18650. If you have never used a 18650 before be prepared to be amazed at the increased runtime they offer over primaries. Maybe one day HOPEFULLY Surefire will start making lights with 18mm tubes, I would love a Px2 Fury that would hold a 18650 so the runtime wouldn't be so bad on high.

I watched several youtube videos on the light and i think regardless of the actual lumen it will be more than bright enough for me LOL

But i read a few of the reviews on the candle power forum and it seems the older model PD35 was rated at 850 lumen and someone wrote they tested it at 945 lumen. So i think the new model will do plenty enough lumen. I honestly dont really care about the actual precise numbers really though. Its not like ill measure it, or even know how to measure lumens for that mater LMAO

And i have NEVER used the 18650 batteries so i hope your right about being impressed because the price of some of these batteries is INSANE!! The nitecore 3400mah for instance, i have seen them for 20-25 a piece :eek:

The only rechargeable batteries i have any experience with is eneloop AAs.. And i love them jokers. But they dont cost 20 a pop LOL

Nice one WW!

Thanks bud!! You helped with the purchase ;)

Yea looks definitely played a role in my decision. I was deciding between a couple different lights but when it came down to it i really liked how this fenix looks.

I watched several youtube videos on the light and i think regardless of the actual lumen it will be more than bright enough for me LOL

But i read a few of the reviews on the candle power forum and it seems the older model PD35 was rated at 850 lumen and someone wrote they tested it at 945 lumen. So i think the new model will do plenty enough lumen. I honestly dont really care about the actual precise numbers really though. Its not like ill measure it, or even know how to measure lumens for that mater LMAO

And i have NEVER used the 18650 batteries so i hope your right about being impressed because the price of some of these batteries is INSANE!! The nitecore 3400mah for instance, i have seen them for 20-25 a piece :eek:

The only rechargeable batteries i have any experience with is eneloop AAs.. And i love them jokers. But they dont cost 20 a pop LOL

Thanks bud!! You helped with the purchase ;)

If you have used Eneloops then you have a good idea of what you are in for, but 3400 mah 18650s are pretty much gods gift to high powered flashlights. One thing though when using these batteries due to the volts that they put out I would recommend you for sure go with protected cells.

I agree with you WW looks play a roll in my light choices too.

If you have used Eneloops then you have a good idea of what you are in for, but 3400 mah 18650s are pretty much gods gift to high powered flashlights. One thing though when using these batteries due to the volts that they put out I would recommend you for sure go with protected cells.

I agree with you WW looks play a roll in my light choices too.

I will indeed stick to the protected cells!!

And we as men like to tell ourselves the important stuff is on the inside... But when it comes down to it we still use the cover of the book to pick which we want to read :D

Looks like the light will be delivered today, im excited to test it out!!!

Love the flashlight!! Super bright on high, brighter than any light i ever owned... and perfect amount of light on "mid" level for most anything id ever need. Easy to use 1 handed, and great size and feel as well!!

14654170850_72c5678d48.jpg

Kenash, the sheath is a KSF city sheath which is the widest leather pocket sheath I could find. The flashlight and the ASP key defender ride in the side meant for credit cards. To modify the sheath I took bow string from a broken crossbow, marked and drilled holes with my smallest bit on my drill press, and sewed a new stick line between the flashlight and the spray. As a spacer between the two I used a piece of silicone sealant that I pulled from a tile joint. The knurling and grooves seem to stick to the silicone just enough. The modification was pretty easy and after completing it, I think I could do my own leather sheath work. It would take me a while to make something pretty, but I think I could make a few functional items for myself.

Back