What folding knife would you reccomend for a marine?

I have a friend who is going in to the Marines and has asked I reccomend him a folding knife. He's looking for durability and a blade length around 3.75". Budget is $500. I thought of a ZT 0620cf, what do you guys think he should get?

The ZT is a pretty good option, but I have never personally used one. I am former Army Infantry and I used the Benchmade Barrage through 2 deployments. It is an excellent knife and is still in perfect working condition, even after two years of abuse in the sandbox.

ZT0620(or 0630).

Get it for him after he is at his first duty station. Chances are that regulations will keep him from carrying it during his initial training, anyhow. Besides, you don't really know the morals of the people you train with. There is a good chance that someone will try to "borrow" his knife. It happened to me during basic in the 1970's. I did get my knife back after I threatened to wrap a M16 barrel around the neck of the punk that took mine.

Also, I would not buy a knife that is anywhere near that much money. A nice Alox SAK and maybe some sort of Cold Steel should work just fine. An Emerson CQC 7 of some sort would also be nice. All three would not come to anywhere near that amount of cash.

Give your friend a chance to find out what he can legally carry on base, if anything. The military has gotten a lot more PC than when I was in.

Last edited:
I work on an Air Force base. There are no rules other than no Fixed blades, far as I know. And at that, I could point you in the direction of some who have a fixed blade in their purse. LOL Many people I work with or around carry some pretty large folders on them day-in and day-out. Random vehicle inspections don't include a pat down. Our tool boxes all have a 3.5 inch bladed lock back Kershaw in them. Every tool box on base, far as I know. Never seen one without it. Nobody gives me a funny look if I take out a 4.0 inch automatic and use it to slice an apple up at lunch. Guess that would depend on the state, since Oklahoma did remove switchblades from the banned weapons law starting in November 2015. I've usually got at least one Spyderco Military on me at work every day. No one looks at me funny for using it.

Speaking of which, that would be an exceptional knife to give him. Spyderco Military. I mean, heck, the name tells it like it is. Sal Glaser designed it a s "the knife he would give his son to go into combat with". That may not be word for word, but it's close.

I agree with the Spyderco Military. Still, I'd go with the Endura. It's usually more blade than needed and will hold up. I've carried mine since 98'. It's light weight and lays flat in the pocket, and it's not the end of the world if something does happen to it.

Joe

Either a Victorinox Farmer or a Leatherman multitool. He'll use either more than any folder.

As a former Marine a big tackytickle folder would be nice, but a SAK will actually be a cherished tool. A Marine needs quality practical easily replaceable tools he can use in the field, save the expensive flashy single bladed knives for the officers and desk jockeys.

10 of these.

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously.

Honestly, If I was in his situation, for 500$ I'd buy 2 Voyagers, 1 Recon I and 1 Mission MPF

Cold steel voyager is a great knife for the money, so is the recon 1. The zt 630 is nice but i would go with a real emerson, horseman or cqc 8 or cqc7 etc.

Multitool is the correct answer.

Pair it with a light fixed blade in the field if he feels the need for more knife.

Examples
Leatherman juice, victorinox swisstool, leatherman wave, victorinox soldier, leatherman MUT
Spyderco aqua salt, spyderco street bowie, mora 2000, kabar

Like others have said... bring spares or cash to buy replacements. Soldiers are a thieving lot.

Get it for him after he is at his first duty station. Chances are that regulations will keep him from carrying it during his initial training, anyhow. Besides, you don't really know the morals of the people you train with. There is a good chance that someone will try to "borrow" his knife. It happened to me during basic in the 1970's. I did get my knife back after I threatened to wrap a M16 barrel around the neck of the punk that took mine.

Also, I would not buy a knife that is anywhere near that much money. A nice Alox SAK and maybe some sort of Cold Steel should work just fine. An Emerson CQC 7 of some sort would also be nice. All three would not come to anywhere near that amount of cash.

Give your friend a chance to find out what he can legally carry on base, if anything. The military has gotten a lot more PC than when I was in.

I work on an Army base and carry an auto everyday

And to the original question really anything with a decent warranty will be fine. The knife I had in the Army opened MRE's, opened sand bags, and cut a few ratchet straps.

Carried a Spydie Military and a ZT0301 alternating during my Active Duty time. Both were great knives, and both did everything I needed a knife to do (Hell, I even carried a Spydie Dragonfly for a while!). The ZT was more useful when I needed something to pry with (Opening ammo crates, etc) and my leatherman was lent out to someone in my platoon- but I love both of those knives.

If he wants to pair it with a fixed blade, I've been carrying a RatManDu from SwampRat for a while, and it's been outstanding in both field craft, and general scout tasks.

I have a friend who is going in to the Marines and has asked I reccomend him a folding knife. He's looking for durability and a blade length around 3.75". Budget is $500. I thought of a ZT 0620cf, what do you guys think he should get?

ZT0620(or 0630).

^ If Charlie Mike thinks this would be a good choice, then I think you should trust your initial thought.

Personally, I would also like having a Spyderco Military Camo, for my slicing chores.

Please tell your friend: "thank you," for his impending service for our Country! Hooya! Semper Fi! :thumbup:

I work on an Air Force base. There are no rules other than no Fixed blades, far as I know.

Speaking of which, that would be an exceptional knife to give him. Spyderco Military. I mean, heck, the name tells it like it is. Sal Glaser designed it a s "the knife he would give his son to go into combat with". That may not be word for word, but it's close.

^ Just out of curiosity: is the rule against fixed blades on your base, just for civilian personnel, or active military as well?

+1 on the Spyderco Military! :thumbup:

I got out of the Marines in 1970, but looking back it really, really would've been nice to have a Leatherman. Throw in a Griptilian or a PM2 & he's set.

With that budget, I'd say a nice multi-tool and a Spyderco Endura for all the reasons previously posted. Great knife with plenty of blade, super easy to carry and will take whatever is thrown at it.

I got out of the Marines in 1970, but looking back it really, really would've been nice to have a Leatherman. Throw in a Griptilian or a PM2 & he's set.

A Leatherman MUT and a ZT0550 would be the bees knees.

Back