What folding knife would you reccomend for a marine?

Leatherman Charge TTI. (Be ready to buy another as they can go walkabout in the early years).

Basic training then do as you are told as the programme is there for all to benefit. No room for individuals to add much; don't want to stand out either; just that there is enough to get on with anyway. Personal kit stays in the locker.

After that something useful and the Leatherman Charge has it in heaps. A Spyderco isn't bad either.

It should be repeatable/replaceable as things get lost, shared (its a team effort), and kit is expendable. For the modern military then not a lot of "knife" is required. I found a SAK Huntsman very useful for personal admin (blisters, toenails, splinters, and office work); nearly everything else was supplied.

Nothing heavy. You pack it you carry it. Frankly once he has gained some experience he will know what he wants to carry.

If I remember correctly Gerbers were either issued or cheap at the PX. I prefer Leatherman's for their quality. It was a long time ago when I last worked with US Marines.

Last edited:
I work on an Air Force base. There are no rules other than no Fixed blades, far as I know. And at that, I could point you in the direction of some who have a fixed blade in their purse. LOL Many people I work with or around carry some pretty large folders on them day-in and day-out. Random vehicle inspections don't include a pat down. Our tool boxes all have a 3.5 inch bladed lock back Kershaw in them. Every tool box on base, far as I know. Never seen one without it. Nobody gives me a funny look if I take out a 4.0 inch automatic and use it to slice an apple up at lunch. Guess that would depend on the state, since Oklahoma did remove switchblades from the banned weapons law starting in November 2015. I've usually got at least one Spyderco Military on me at work every day. No one looks at me funny for using it.

Speaking of which, that would be an exceptional knife to give him. Spyderco Military. I mean, heck, the name tells it like it is. Sal Glaser designed it a s "the knife he would give his son to go into combat with". That may not be word for word, but it's close.

Just an FYI. Anyone who works on a military installation or in any other federal facility and carries a knife needs to get acquainted with Title 18, United States Code, Section 930. Pay particular attention to subsections (a) and (g)(1) and (g)(2). It'd be a shame to have to change your mailing address to another federal facility. ;)

Last edited:
I have a friend who is going in to the Marines and ... He's looking for durability and a blade length around 3.75". Budget is $500.

First, a Leatherman multi-tool. Mine's invaluable.

For a folder, the ZT 0630 is an excellent choice for an overbuilt knife. I moved my clip so I can wave it out in reverse grip (thanks, Charlie Mike!).

I'd also suggest an Emerson Super CQC-8 (4.3" blade) with serrations, or a Journeyman (3.6" blade) with serrations. I use both and they're GREAT work knives.

The Recon 1 is an outstanding knife, superior lock, and not as expensive -- so, it's more easily replaced if it's stolen/misplaced. Mine's tough-as-nails.

I have the Recon 1, it is tough as nails indeed. Heard great things about the Super CQC-8, and we know lots of guys in the military love Emersons (plus, Keanu Reeves can't go wrong, right?)

vlcsnap-2016-05-16-11h36m10s902_zpsghgeizqg.png

Both great knives, durable and solid. Emerson is Reeve's personal EDC in one of his lasts films LOL:

vlcsnap-2016-05-16-11h34m59s906_zpsutov5emm.png

vlcsnap-2016-05-16-11h36m57s434_zpsrda0krkz.png

Just an FYI. Anyone who works on a military installation or in any other federal facility and carries a knife needs to get acquainted with Title 18, United States Code, Section 930. Pay particular attention to subsections (a) and (g)(1) and (g)(2). It'd be a shame to have to change your mailing address to another federal facility. ;)
In practical daily terms, no one cares. For years, I've worked in federal military facilities with entry and exit controls including emptying of pockets, bag searches, and body wands or magnetometers. No one has ever cared about my knives.

In practical daily terms, no one cares. For years, I've worked in federal military facilities with entry and exit controls including emptying of pockets, bag searches, and body wands or magnetometers. No one has ever cared about my knives.

Where you've worked that may well be true but I wouldn't want to bet a year in federal prison that it'll be true at all federal facilities or even where you've worked if some "sheeple" sees your knife, freaks out, and complains that you're carrying a deadly weapon (not an uncommon occurrence in today's world :mad:). I was at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB recently and to get in you have to pass through a metal detector. The security person specifically asked if I was carrying a knife. I had only my Victorinox Classic and it was no problem but if I had been carrying a large blade I suspect it would have been.

In any event, my intent in pointing that out was to make people aware so that they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to take the risk. When I make decisions I apply a risk/benefit analysis and, to me, even a small risk of a criminal conviction and prison time isn't worth the "benefit" of carrying a large blade, especially when I can legally carry a sub 2.5 inch blade that'll meet my needs without the risk. To me, it's a no brainer but YMMV.

Cheers :)

Where you've worked that may well be true but I wouldn't want to bet a year in federal prison that it'll be true at all federal facilities or even where you've worked if some "sheeple" sees your knife, freaks out, and complains that you're carrying a deadly weapon (not an uncommon occurrence in today's world :mad:). I was at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB recently and to get in you have to pass through a metal detector. The security person specifically asked if I was carrying a knife. I had only my Victorinox Classic and it was no problem but if I had been carrying a large blade I suspect it would have been.

In any event, my intent in pointing that out was to make people aware so that they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to take the risk. When I make decisions I apply a risk/benefit analysis and, to me, even a small risk of a criminal conviction and prison time isn't worth the "benefit" of carrying a large blade, especially when I can legally carry a sub 2.5 inch blade that'll meet my needs without the risk. To me, it's a no brainer but YMMV.

Cheers :)

Sec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal
facilities

-STATUTE-
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
purposes.

no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

The sinage is only IME at the PX and the Commissary.

Sec. 930. Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal
facilities

-STATUTE-
(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly
possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous
weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility),
or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned
not more than 1 year, or both.

(d) Subsection (a) shall not apply to -

(3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons
in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful
purposes.

no person shall be convicted of an offense under
subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such
notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had
actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be.

The sinage is only IME at the PX and the Commissary.

Chris:

You only quoted part of subsection (h). The full text is:

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be."

In the legal world, the word "shall" is an imperative. Thus, there is a requirement that notice concerning weapons restrictions be posted at each public entrance to a federal facility. You mention the commissary and PX but take a look and see if there isn't a sign at the gates where you enter military installations. I recall seeing many that begin with "you are now entering a military installation" and go on the spell out various restrictions.

I didn't mean to get so far down in the weeds on this. I was primarily responding to cbxer55's post in which he stated, "I work on an Air Force base. There are no rules other than no Fixed blades, far as I know." to let others know that, in fact, there is a restriction other than no fixed blades and it is more than just a rule--it's a criminal statute.

Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

Chris:

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection (a) or (e), as the case may be."

In the legal world, the word "shall" is an imperative. Thus, there is a requirement that notice concerning weapons restrictions be posted at each public entrance to a federal facility. You mention the commissary and PX but take a look and see if there isn't a sign at the gates where you enter military installations. I recall seeing many that begin with "you are now entering a military installation" and go on the spell out various restrictions.

I didn't mean to get so far down in the weeds on this. I was primarily responding to cbxer55's post in which he stated, "I work on an Air Force base. There are no rules other than no Fixed blades, far as I know." to let others know that, in fact, there is a restriction other than no fixed blades and it is more than just a rule--it's a criminal statute.

Hope this helps.

Cheers:)

I've either been in or worked for the Army for 15 years now...

There is no prohibition signage at the main gate or at the entrance to any buildings other than the PX and the Commissary.

I've either been in or worked for the Army for 15 years now...

There is no prohibition signage at the main gate or at the entrance to any buildings other than the PX and the Commissary.

Apparently your experience is different than mine. I've spent 33 years on Air Force installations and have seen many such signs at the installation entrance gates. In any event, this discussion has gotten away from it's intended purpose of making people aware of the statute.

Best regards

I would recommend the ZT 0560BW, if you're going with ZT. If not, you can't go wrong with most benchmades.

Where you've worked that may well be true but I wouldn't want to bet a year in federal prison that it'll be true at all federal facilities or even where you've worked if some "sheeple" sees your knife, freaks out, and complains that you're carrying a deadly weapon (not an uncommon occurrence in today's world :mad:).
I'll take the bet and have hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of times. My experience apparently has been quite different than yours over the last nearly 35 years and all over this country.

Chris:

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (b) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility,...
But very few facility/building entrances are actually posted. Where I work today is posted but not with anything regarding knives. I recently had a CRK GB with 5.5" blade sitting openly on top my desk.

Last edited:
I'd recomend the Vic Trekker serrated. As far as serrated blades, it's easy to sharpen with a normal stone as per the Vic web site. Having been in the Corps myself I would've given alot had it been available when I was in, though I got by with whatever model SAK I had just fine. Anyway the serrated blade would work best at cutting cord as well as most anything else. I have no doubt one could easily sharpen to a usable edge just as with the SAK non serrated blades. It would also have many necesary tools for demands in the field as well as being a great EDC in garrison. To spend 500 dollars on a blade for the purposes wanted seems frivolous, save the expensive blade for when he gets his discharge papers. Also he probably shouldn't recieve the blade until after boot, the DI's will just take it and he won't see it until he graduates.

Army, Air Force, statutes LOL.

Marines carry what they've earned.

110817-M-0000G-010.jpg

Respect to you guys for your service, but yeah..."it's like that".

I would think about the nature or intended use of you gift. If you want to get him a practical tool, the less expensive, replaceable options make sense. If you want to get him something nice that is more symbolic of his service, tell him to leave it home until he knows if it's appropriate for his deployment circumstances. As has been said, I've seen many of these posts where expensive knives are lost or stolen.
Jordan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leatherman and Kabar Marine Knife. Save the rest of the $. He's gonna need durable tools not pocket jewelry.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

10 of these.

maxresdefault.jpg

Seriously.

Honestly, If I was in his situation, for 500$ I'd buy 2 Voyagers, 1 Recon I and 1 Mission MPF

This. Triad locks might not be the most fun to fondle, but they'll outlast any frame or liner lock if it's going to be used seriously hard over a long time period.

I'll chime in with another recommendation for the Cold Steel Recon 1. I gave this one to my nephew last week to mark the beginning of his service in the Army.

image.jpg1_zps6difv8vx.jpg

I truly could not think of a better everyday-carry folder for a soldier.

-Steve

I did 10 years in the Army. As much as knife companies market some pretty beefy knives to people based on military oriented marketing, I was quite the opposite in what my needs and demands from a knife were as I preferred smaller knives for under $60. I'm almost 100% sure your friend will never need to stab a terrorist with it. Most of the time it will be used to open boxes or MREs, cut 550 cord occasionally. I've also had a few knives grow legs and walk away while in. My recommendation is for a good durable folder from cold steel or kershaw. I'd skip the ZT or emerson types until training was over and your friend settled in, as there is a high risk of it being lost or stolen, especially as enlisted in initial training stages. That being said I carried a serrated dragonfly in my earlier days (in garrison) and for as small as it was it did everything I needed. Combat is another story, and the best garrison knife isn't necessarily something people want to deploy with. Just depends.

Back