What happen to Quality control?

Ahh ok. I didn't realize it was a small family business and he was the only one who picks the knives out. This is very good.

I personally think that the issue of Case quality v. price is a valid one. What does a current lower-end Case run? Around here, it will be at least 35 to 45 dollars before our high sales tax for any of the bone handled models with dollar amount depending on number of blades, size, where one buys it, etc. These are made in the U.S.A.

Also made in the U.S.A. is the Benchmade Griptillian. True, this is a far different knife, but it is also made in a modern facility with modern equipment and contains a difficult to make and assemble locking mechanism (AXIS). I would have to say that my Griptillian is dang near as good as one could get for the price. They will run about 50 to 75 dollars depending on where one gets them. They are larger, the blade is thicker and better ground, they come razor sharp. Thus it is not impossible for an American based factory to produce a quality product at a reasonable price.

Do I think that Case could make a traditional knife for 50 to 75 dollars retail with similar quality? Sure. Will they? Not likely, because it is not their market. They make expensive knife-like collectiables. The older Cases (especially pre 70's) make the newer ones look sad. Now how can the difference in quality, blade steel, etc. be explained between Case and Queen/Shatt and Morgan? How can Queen make a traditional pocketknife for roughly the same price as Case while using a better quality stainless and having equal or better average fit and finish? I do not know?

I will keep buying quality myself, be it Benchmade, Queen, Victorinox, or whoever.

Back