What have you lost?

Lost my Vic Farmer just before our first (2020) lockdown . Searched the 4 car garage, trowelled all the gardens , searched all the drawers, offered obscene amount of treats to the kids if they could find it, all to no avail. Much sadness ensued.
Got myself a Pioneer to soothe the loss and replace the magnificent awl. Cut to mid 2021, grabbed a small back pack to take on an overnight trip, felt the top flap to be a bit heavy. Undid the zip and reached inside to find a chorus of knife angels singing and trumpets playing and the Farmer awaiting me. Great happiness ensued :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing. That’s a story to bring the thread to life!

We had a similar experience. My wife has a CRKT something with a pocket clip. It went missing. Well we searched high and low. A year later we went into the attic for Christmas decorations. As I went through a box of stuff I came to an old purse. It felt lumpy and there it was, in all its unaesthetic glory. She was tickled pink.

I think this will be my 3rd retelling of this story on BF, but here goes:

Back in the mid 70’s when I was in elementary school, I got a black Case Sod Buster Junior for my birthday. I think I may have been in 5th grade or so. Also about that time I was given a pair of maroon crushed velvet bell bottom slacks as hand-me-downs. They were still a little too big. I was used to wearing jeans and carried a knife every day without worrying about it falling out of my pocket, so I didn’t think twice about dropping my new knife into the loose pocket of these abominable maroon slacks and heading to the school playground to play basketball. Of course the knife fell out and was lost, as I discovered when I got back home. I retraced my footsteps but never recovered it. As you can tell by my clear recall of these events more than 4 decades later, this incident scarred me for life. I think I had that knife at most 2-3 days.
Thank you for sharing. I still look for a dmt sharpener that went missing....20 years ago.

I forgot to mention, of the ones lost in the fire was a Jet Aer brand copy of a buck 110. It was my dads, and one of very few things I had of his.

His zippo is another, which I had in my pocket and still have. Now the odd thing is, I don’t smoke.

My aunt needed a light once and I whipped out the zippo. She said you don’t smoke do you? No. She said why do you carry a lighter then? (With the same look people that don’t have an immediate need to cut something have when the find out you have a knife).

Like so many others, I've lost more knives than I can count. The wonder is that I carried the same Henckels Stockman for over twenty years. It has come and gone many times, but it always turned up eventually. I think it's really lost this time. I'm currently carrying an old Case Muskrat that was given to me by a friend.

Now, understand that I'm less than organized in many of my habits. I was instrumental in losing the back seat from a '73 Maverick. I was about 17 at the time, that probably tells you a lot about the situation.

I rarely lose anything. That one congress is the only one I’ve actually lost.

When I graduated high school, my dad gave me a new Old Timer stockman. He explained that the man who ran the neighborhood store had given him one just like it when he graduated. Dad was working on a large farm shortly after graduating and lost the knife while on horseback. He went back to look for it but never could find it.

A few weeks after receiving my knife, the pump at our well stopped working. I had seen dad bump the solenoid with a screwdriver to get it working. I didn’t have a screwdriver, so I foolishly used the knife, careful to touch the delrin rather than the pins. Nothing happened. I tried again, less careful this time and, of course, was shocked. I panicked and dropped the knife down the well. Magnet fishing for the knife yielded no results. My parents have been drinking it ever since.

A few over the years, only one that still bugs me. I had a black pioneer I carried quite a lot on the weekends doing chores. I had it for a long time. My house flooded in a hurricane and it was with me every day cutting drywall, carpet, and anything I needed during the demo. It was a rough time but all turned out ok.

A few months after that I’m quite certain I dropped it getting out of my truck. It never turned up. I haven’t replaced it.

Here it is with my pile of house entrails that lined every residential street in the area.

Attachments

• B16074EB-9FB6-48B3-B8CC-858C0E23993F.jpeg
    B16074EB-9FB6-48B3-B8CC-858C0E23993F.jpeg
    315.3 KB · Views: 8
When I graduated high school, my dad gave me a new Old Timer stockman. He explained that the man who ran the neighborhood store had given him one just like it when he graduated. Dad was working on a large farm shortly after graduating and lost the knife while on horseback. He went back to look for it but never could find it.

A few weeks after receiving my knife, the pump at our well stopped working. I had seen dad bump the solenoid with a screwdriver to get it working. I didn’t have a screwdriver, so I foolishly used the knife, careful to touch the delrin rather than the pins. Nothing happened. I tried again, less careful this time and, of course, was shocked. I panicked and dropped the knife down the well. Magnet fishing for the knife yielded no results. My parents have been drinking it ever since.
I would have figured it could have been found that way. That’s an incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

A few over the years, only one that still bugs me. I had a black pioneer I carried quite a lot on the weekends doing chores. I had it for a long time. My house flooded in a hurricane and it was with me every day cutting drywall, carpet, and anything I needed during the demo. It was a rough time but all turned out ok.

A few months after that I’m quite certain I dropped it getting out of my truck. It never turned up. I haven’t replaced it.

Here it is with my pile of house entrails that lined every residential street in the area.
Thanks for sharing that. That’s a sad loss, a trusted friend.

Must say I'm puzzled why you haven't replaced it, Pioneers are amazing bits of kit. Hopefully you have a new chore knife that you've built up some happier memories with.

Reactions: JM2
Must say I'm puzzled why you haven't replaced it, Pioneers are amazing bits of kit. Hopefully you have a new chore knife that you've built up some happier memories with.
Agree it’s a great knife. Every time I look to buy one, my loss irritates me all over again. I’ll get over it eventually and get another one.

Too many to list. Plus it hurts to think about some of them that are gone.
OK. We can start with the Cub Scout Knife
And the Boy Scout knife later.
And the ginormous multi tool knife that had a fork and a spoon on it.
The Schrade fixed hunting knife. A pure mystery where it went.
And way too many Schrade small stockman and a few Case small pocket knives. When I was in HS and shortly after.
And the 110 that I bought in 1972 on the USS Mobile - that one hurts to think about.
And every Buck Squire, Cadet and Prince that I once owned. Those hurt too because of how I think they were lost. And the Buck 301 same story. Feel lucky to still have the LST from the same times.
The Grohmann original Canadian Belt Knife - lost cleaning a deer in NWMO. Laid it down and it disappeared in spite of a hard search by two people.
The LW 110 that was some kind of DU issue that lies at the bottom of the Missouri River.
At least two, maybe three Rapala Filet knives. They grow legs.
A couple of machetes that also grew legs.
Most recently BM mini barrage that I'm sure is still in the yard somewhere as I had it when I started mowing and didn't have it when I was finished.
A Dozier Design Kabar folder that was lost on the way to the garden and found later after the replacements had come in the mail.

OK. We can start with the Cub Scout Knife
And the Boy Scout knife later.
And the ginormous multi tool knife that had a fork and a spoon on it.
The Schrade fixed hunting knife. A pure mystery where it went.
And way too many Schrade small stockman and a few Case small pocket knives. When I was in HS and shortly after.
And the 110 that I bought in 1972 on the USS Mobile - that one hurts to think about.
And every Buck Squire, Cadet and Prince that I once owned. Those hurt too because of how I think they were lost. And the Buck 301 same story. Feel lucky to still have the LST from the same times.
The Grohmann original Canadian Belt Knife - lost cleaning a deer in NWMO. Laid it down and it disappeared in spite of a hard search by two people.
The LW 110 that was some kind of DU issue that lies at the bottom of the Missouri River.
At least two, maybe three Rapala Filet knives. They grow legs.
A couple of machetes that also grew legs.
Most recently BM mini barrage that I'm sure is still in the yard somewhere as I had it when I started mowing and didn't have it when I was finished.
A Dozier Design Kabar folder that was lost on the way to the garden and found later after the replacements had come in the mail.
A good metal detector friend could likely find the BM, or you might find it yet. And it may survive okay.

A few years ago I lost a Swiss Army Tinker, a BSA version with the fleur de lis. I'd used it for several years, a great knife to carry in town or on the trail. Long story short, it vanished without a trace after a road trip. Quite a mystery. I still miss it.

Reactions: JM2
When I was around 10 my dad gave me my first knife, a Victorinox. It was a rather simple model as I recall. Well, decided to take it to a walk on the beach one day in my cargo pants' external pocket, without realizing there was a hole in it. The rest is history, and yes, I cried like a baby.

Then my dad gave me a cheap Chinese folding knife as a replacement. I guess by giving me a cheaper knife he wanted to teach me a lesson without leaving me empty handed, or perhaps he just didn't want to spend the extra few dollars again, haha.

I have told this story before...short version. I was a teenager, and my parents berated me to clean my room. As most teenagers do, I did so in a fit of anger, and accidently threw away a paper bag containing knives that I had. Not crappy knives, mind you, these were knives that belonged to my dad, and probably his dad as well. Remington, Grohmann, Buck, etc.

I still kick myself for my stupidity and anger that day. My knife collecting since then is a poor attempt to regain what I lost that day...

Of course there are many lost/misplaced knives, but these are the ones that are still raw after all these years. My Dad gave me my first knife, a Lil' Finn type whose manufacture name I don't recall when I was 8 years old. I loved that little knife and sharp as the dickins'. Being a kid then and now 59 years old, I don't recall what happened to it. I wish I had it now though. The second, and most missed is a large Bowie knife. One of my best friends and I each bought one. I was 13/14 years old and paid around $20.00 for it. My older brother enhanced the sheath with a leather covering and fringe. It was a real mountain mans blade! I carried that thing everywhere. ( We lived in a kind or rural neighborhood with lots of woods). Another good buddy and I were in my little jon boat on the lake and he dropped it overboard. We just looked at each other. He did pay me some restitution, but I never really replaced it. Finally, I had a Case Mako lock back that I used as a hunting knife. I bought it when I was in high school around 1979 and was very careful with it. Years later, I had it with me on a hunting trip in S.C. and best I can tell, I left in in the motel room I was staying in for some reason. I loved that one too. None terribly expensive, but very sentimental. Sure you can replace with a similar or same model, but it never really is the "same".

I have told this story before...short version. I was a teenager, and my parents berated me to clean my room. As most teenagers do, I did so in a fit of anger, and accidently threw away a paper bag containing knives that I had. Not crappy knives, mind you, these were knives that belonged to my dad, and probably his dad as well. Remington, Grohmann, Buck, etc.

I still kick myself for my stupidity and anger that day. My knife collecting since then is a poor attempt to regain what I lost that day...
Wow.

Back