What have you lost?

Of course there are many lost/misplaced knives, but these are the ones that are still raw after all these years. My Dad gave me my first knife, a Lil' Finn type whose manufacture name I don't recall when I was 8 years old. I loved that little knife and sharp as the dickins'. Being a kid then and now 59 years old, I don't recall what happened to it. I wish I had it now though. The second, and most missed is a large Bowie knife. One of my best friends and I each bought one. I was 13/14 years old and paid around $20.00 for it. My older brother enhanced the sheath with a leather covering and fringe. It was a real mountain mans blade! I carried that thing everywhere. ( We lived in a kind or rural neighborhood with lots of woods). Another good buddy and I were in my little jon boat on the lake and he dropped it overboard. We just looked at each other. He did pay me some restitution, but I never really replaced it. Finally, I had a Case Mako lock back that I used as a hunting knife. I bought it when I was in high school around 1979 and was very careful with it. Years later, I had it with me on a hunting trip in S.C. and best I can tell, I left in in the motel room I was staying in for some reason. I loved that one too. None terribly expensive, but very sentimental. Sure you can replace with a similar or same model, but it never really is the "same".
Thanks for sharing. I’d think losing one overboard to be a little better than just lost. Because at least you know. The just lost one is always a mystery. I for one always expect it to turn up somehow.

I found it!

itKIR3z.jpg

I think there was a similar thread last year where I mentioned that I've lost only 2 knives: A United Boker 2 blade congress with smooth blue bone covers and a vintage Bruckmann 2 blade pen with horn covers.
The Boker was eaten (I think) by the driver seat of a long since gone Plymouth Sunbird. Can't say I missed it much. It had a bolster that came cracked from the factory.

But the Bruckmann still hurts. That one vanished while making a dash to the car in a downpour. I must have pulled the knife out with my car keys. It was such an elegant and slender knife. Had the black polish finish on the blades.

How about a thread for knives we abused and destroyed as kids?

I think there was a similar thread last year where I mentioned that I've lost only 2 knives: A United Boker 2 blade congress with smooth blue bone covers and a vintage Bruckmann 2 blade pen with horn covers.
The Boker was eaten (I think) by the driver seat of a long since gone Plymouth Sunbird. Can't say I missed it much. It had a bolster that came cracked from the factory.

But the Bruckmann still hurts. That one vanished while making a dash to the car in a downpour. I must have pulled the knife out with my car keys. It was such an elegant and slender knife. Had the black polish finish on the blades.

How about a thread for knives we abused and destroyed as kids?
Thanks for sharing. That’ll be an interesting thread for sure.

The only knife I know that I lost was a Buck 112. I was a sailor on a Coast Guard cutter in the Gulf of Alaska working on some cargo net repairs on the helo deck. I had bought that one in my mid teen years with money saved from a paper route. That one really stung, as I had carried that knife every day for many years, and it had the deepest black ebony covers I have ever seen. Gone in an instant to Davy Jones locker.

I have misplaced a few that were assumed lost, an AG Russel funny folder that was gone for a couple years turned up from the depths of a recliner while moving, and a Case Swayback jack missing for about six years which I thought had been lost on the fine sand beaches of the Outer Banks of NC while vacationing. The Swayback turned out to be caught up in the tail of a kite in my string bag and was really gritty and loaded with salt crystals...it cleaned up really well with some effort and lots of oil and even the snap came back to the action. Fresh water soak followed by lots of scrubbing with never dull wadding and WD40.

In my youth I lost several knives, one of which was a German fixed blade, it had a stag handle and a fuller, and it was always in my fishing creel hung on the cellar stairs...it just disappeared, I still miss that knife, it was about perfect to me and took a really keen edge. I had other small things that disappeared without explanation, and I had four younger brothers. My next youngest brother confessed to me on his death bed that he would often steal things that I found precious, and would trade them or give them away to his friends, when I asked him why, he said it because he knew it drove me nuts...

My parents gave me a "fancy" knife with fake pearl covers and 2 stainless blades (i can't even remember now if it was a jack or pen configuration), maybe for 8th grade graduation in 1965. I only carried that knife to church on Sundays, and kept it in a coat pocket of my Sunday suit. I went off to college in the fall of 1969 and didn't take that suit with me, and I can't recall ever seeing that knife again. I think the suit was around for at least a couple of years after that, but I have no idea what happened to that knife. Maybe one of my younger brothers decided if I wasn't interested enough to take it with me, then he might as well claim it. Don't know - wish I still had it. I think that's the only knife I've ever lost.

- GT

i almost lost a 14 in ebony once. slipped outta the watch pocket of my jeans in the cab but thankfully found it in time. luckily this rendezvous i was able to get another, an S for carrying

Last edited:
First knife I ever owned was given to me at Christmas 1960 by my grandparents. I was 7yrs old
It was about the size of a medium Jack, with clip and pen blades and composite handle covers
More than likely it was an Imperial, Colonial, Sabre or some other inexpensive knife suitable for a boy
Somewhere while still in elementary or early Jr. High, I traded that knife away for who knows what
(I do remember having a Mexican made switchblade while in Jr. High that didn't last long but that's another story)

So anyway, my brother was also given a knife that Christmas, just like mine ... and Mike hangs onto EVERYTHING
I'd seen his knife from time to time LONG after mine was gone
Just about a month ago, I asked Mike if he still had the knife. Said, he knew the knife I was talking about but he no longer had it

I've often wondered about that knife but now lost forever. It was a hard lesson
Now I only accumulate knives. Never trade or sell ... and can only remember giving one away ... so far

There are other knives I've owned that are "unaccounted for", but none had the connection of that first knife

I thought I’d another that I lost. It was a green SAK classic. It had no lanyard loop and appeared factory. It had some advertising on it but I can’t recall what. But I carried it a few years till it was polished smooth and it just disappeared out of my pocket. I kept it in my keys pocket and I presume it came out with my keys and was lost.

I don’t recall ever losing a knife in the sense that I was looking for it and couldn’t find it but there were several knives that I used to own that I don’t remember what happened to them.

When I was 12 years old, me and a friend buried
an old battered Imperial pocket knife next to a tree stump. I drive by that tree once in a blue moon and I wonder if that knife is still there. It’s on somebody’s property now so I don’t bother to check.

A Coleman? Fixed blade hunting knife with stacked leather handle...around 1978 my mates and I all bought them from the department store Coles.
Not sure where it ended up...But the worst thing Ive lost was my wedding ring...it was a big chunk of Aussie gold...prior to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes I lost 10kg... in a month!!...The ring left my finger ..I think its in the seapool at Towradgi....I should have replaced it..but Im not a fan of rings on my fingers..oh well.
Cheers.

A Coleman? Fixed blade hunting knife with stacked leather handle...around 1978 my mates and I all bought them from the department store Coles.
Not sure where it ended up...But the worst thing Ive lost was my wedding ring...it was a big chunk of Aussie gold...prior to being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes I lost 10kg... in a month!!...The ring left my finger ..I think its in the seapool at Towradgi....I should have replaced it..but Im not a fan of rings on my fingers..oh well.
Cheers.
Better rings than, “Blisters on my fingers”, Helter Skelter 😳

Only knife I ever lost was a small Gerber (made in USA) lockback that I carried for several years. Must have fallen out of my pocket getting into or out of my car. Got a virtually identical knife from Case now, but don't carry it much.

Case yellow slimline trapper. Had it in a horizontal sheath that was too loose a fit. Thought I knew about where it must have fallen out but could never find it.

First knife of note I lost was Gerber mk 2 a Vietnam vet gifted me. I didn't want to bring it with me overseas but he was very adamant about me bringing it. I'm pretty sure it was taken right out of my bag going through a civilian airport.

Next few knives were all Sog SEAL pup's. Very unlucky knives for me.

When I was a teenager, I saved up and got a big Buck stockman... the 307. I loved that knife and carried it with me everywhere. One day it wasn't there and I couldn't remember where I lost it. Very sad. A decade later, my parents were selling their house and I walked through the backyard, and there was the 307 stuck in the trunk of a tree, covered in rust. I thought about taking it with me, but cleaning it up would have been a huge job, and it looked happy stuck in the tree. It might still be there. I don't know.

There are 2 which come to mind for me. Case Bose Dogleg in jigged bone. I think it slipped out of my pants when I sat in a comfy armchair at a Starbucks circa 2010-11. And the other, a jigged red bone 15 TC Barlow. My brother set it in a box of boxes headed to the recycling. When I asked for it back he thought he'd left it in his truck which his wife borrowed. When he realized it was in the boxes next afternoon it was gone .

There are 2 which come to mind for me. Case Bose Dogleg in jigged bone. I think it slipped out of my pants when I sat in a comfy armchair at a Starbucks circa 2010-11. And the other, a jigged red bone 15 TC Barlow. My brother set it in a box of boxes headed to the recycling. When I asked for it back he thought he'd left it in his truck which his wife borrowed. When he realized it was in the boxes next afternoon it was gone .
Both of those hurt to hear about.

About 30 years ago, I was house-sitting for some friends for a week, and feeding their cat. During the week, my pocket knife went missing, and I spent most of the day looking for it. I found all sorts of things down the back of the sofa, including two full sets of car and house keys the owners had replaced long ago. By around 4.00pm, I had looked everywhere I could think to look, I knew where I had left my knife the night before, but it wasn't there. Looking out of the window, I saw the cat wriggling about on the grass, in a rather strange way, and wondered what it was doing. When I went to look, it was trying to get my knife off a magnet attached to its collar, which was used for opening the cat-flap! :D The cat must have had it there for a whole day, and I was amazed that I managed to get the knife back, and that it didn't go to the Planet Biro, where all the lost things go ;) :thumbsup:

About 30 years ago, I was house-sitting for some friends for a week, and feeding their cat. During the week, my pocket knife went missing, and I spent most of the day looking for it. I found all sorts of things down the back of the sofa, including two full sets of car and house keys the owners had replaced long ago. By around 4.00pm, I had looked everywhere I could think to look, I knew where I had left my knife the night before, but it wasn't there. Looking out of the window, I saw the cat wriggling about on the grass, in a rather strange way, and wondered what it was doing. When I went to look, it was trying to get my knife off a magnet attached to its collar, which was used for opening the cat-flap! :D The cat must have had it there for a whole day, and I was amazed that I managed to get the knife back, and that it didn't go to the Planet Biro, where all the lost things go ;) :thumbsup:
What a fantastic story ! 😲 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Of all the places you might have thought to look, I seriously doubt you would have ever imagined looking on a cat's collar. 🍀🍀🍀🍀🤣
Must have been a Neo magnet. 🤣
No magnets for Elijah J. after reading this story, not EVER !!!

Back