What is Grivory?

Hello all,
I was recently messing with my BK-7 and took the handles off and just got to thinking. What is Grivory?
I know it plastic , but why does only Becker use it?
So I went the Google machine and looked around. Seems like it is similar to what Cold Steel uses to make its plastic jabby things but not exactly.
Then I was thinking maybe its a propriety polymer that Becker has but then I found a company out of Sweden that makes stuff called Grivory too.

http://www.emsgrivory.com/index.cfm?id=94&myLang=en (hope the link is ok)

Is this where the Grivory comes from?
I like the stuff myself because it is lightweight and strong. I have never wanted to replace mine and there are a lot of cool mods you can do with them.

Hello all,
I was recently messing with my BK-7 and took the handles off and just got to thinking. What is Grivory?
I know it plastic , but why does only Becker use it?

I'm pretty sure it's the hardened, molded skin of the elusive Grivor, a South African reptile.
Ethan has a special collection visa he worked out with the South African government during his climbing days.

lizard.jpg

Yep.

Made from the Animal called a Grivor.

Listen to Guyon, he knows what he is talking about.

And he is correct.

MkK

I forgot about the snark factor over here. Guess if I had a BH# things would be different.
Sorry to waste your time.

Polyphthalamide (aka. PPA, High Performance Polyamide) is a thermoplastic synthetic resin of the polyamide (nylon) family that is used to replace metals in high temperature automotive applications, as the housing for high temperature electrical connectors and multiple other uses. It has found a degree of favor for use in cutlery. Cold Steel has advertised the glass fibre reinforced series as being stealthy (due to them not being detected by metal detectors and having no metallic reflections) and, being made of "Grivory" (a trade name), stronger than previous models made of "Zytel".

As a member of the nylon family, it is a semi-crystalline material composed from a diacid and a diamine. However, the diacid portion contains at least 55% terephthalic acid (TPA) or isophthalic acid (IPA). TPA or IPA are aromatic components which serve to raise the melting point, glass transition temperature and generally improve chemical resistance vs. standard aliphatic nylon polymers.

Copied from Wikipedia

Having a BH# just makes it worse. You have to put your snark boots on first thing in the morning. It's all good natured fun though, it's when they quit messing with you that you have to string up the claymores.
I have heard grivory is the same stuff used in car bumpers, but someone smarter than me will have to field this one.

Edit: there you go!

I kinda prefer the feel of the zytel over the grivory, curious to see what it would be like on the full-size Beckers if/when they switch.

Fun fact: cold steal now calls Grivory "Griv-ex", no joke. You don't have to worry about Grivory anymore though, all the Becker handles are going to be Zytel now. Which coincidentally cold steal calls "zy-ex" again, no joke.

Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!!! I barely remember Mad Dog 20/20. Maybe it's because of MD 20/20 that I barely remember it. The 70's were hard on me.
Cheers
Balding

I'm pretty sure it's the hardened, molded skin of the elusive Grivor, a South African reptile.
Ethan has a special collection visa he worked out with the South African government during his climbing days.

I'm the same way. I run a Nauga ranch. Business in auto interiors used to be good, but has fallen off lately.

I forgot about the snark factor over here. Guess if I had a BH# things would be different.

If you'd had a BH#, I would have told you something a little more believable.
Just believable enough that you'd repeat it and wind up embarrassing yourself. :D

What is grivory?

Don't worry. If you stick around, the madness will seem normal after a bit. And tradewater will seem downright sensitive.

So I went the Google machine and looked around. Seems like it is similar to what Cold Steel uses to make its plastic jabby things but not exactly.
Already did the google thing. Not much help around here.

Hey RUNIT, if you want to know where Ka-Bar sources their grivory, head over to the Ka-Bar forum and post up in the Ask Tooj thread (sticky). He would be the man to ask.

Already did the google thing. Not much help around here.

Well, if you want to be a smart aleck, the jackals will come out.
I don't know that I've ever heard where Ka-Bar gets its grivory. Nor does anyone else, it seems.
Even though there's some ribbing going on, people are trying to help you. See my post above.

Back