What is Grivory?

I'm the same way. I run a Nauga ranch. Business in auto interiors used to be good, but has fallen off lately.

I was just laughing with the wife. My little sister many years ago asked about a Naugahide jacket of a cousins and my uncle had her going for a while about the small and nimble Nauga that is native to south america.

I hate that Runit got his feelings hurt, but the fun around here comes at a cost sometimes. No harm meant, just have to know the type of people you are dealing with here. We are equal opportunity snarkers around here. I have been hit a time or two too!

Sqoon,

The Camillus Becker Handles were made in Taiwan. when KA-BAR took over making Becker, we redesigned the handles and had them made at another Taiwanese company. Just because it says "Grivory" doesn't necessarily mean it's actually Grivory. Sometimes it's an equivalent product; sometimes it's not even close. We try very hard to get what we spec out.

The handles will now be made in the US but by one of our best molding sub contractors.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Tooj bringing a man sized serving of knowledge and once again saving us from ourselves.
Thanks man!

On that link that Runit posted in his question there is another link to a video where they lift a small car using a bushing made of Grivory! That gives me a whole new respect for the toughness of this material.

Sqoon,

The Camillus Becker Handles were made in Taiwan. when KA-BAR took over making Becker, we redesigned the handles and had them made at another Taiwanese company. Just because it says "Grivory" doesn't necessarily mean it's actually Grivory. Sometimes it's an equivalent product; sometimes it's not even close. We try very hard to get what we spec out.

The handles will now be made in the US but by one of our best molding sub contractors.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Ya hear that, boys? American made Zytel. That is very, very cool. I love hearing about things being brought back stateside.

Thank you for the info, sir.

I was just laughing with the wife. My little sister many years ago asked about a Naugahide jacket of a cousins and my uncle had her going for a while about the small and nimble Nauga that is native to south america.

For those that haven't figured it out, Naugahyde is a synthetic product of cloth adhered to vinyl, typically used for old car interiors and the covering of cheap furniture. There was an ad campaign in the '60s and '70s showing the mythical "nauga" that produced the hide, but it was OK because no naugas were killed to get the hide -- they shed it! :D The name is actually from the town of Naugatuck, CT, (a few miles from where I grew up) where Naugahyde was developed and produced at the US Rubber (later "Uniroyal") plant that employed most of the town.

Hey Runit.......

I do hope after a bit of a rough entry That you decide to stick around and give the snark back to the snarkers-----They will enjoy it and I hope you do too.....

A bit of a historical note....The first Becker handles of high strength glass reinforced engineering resin(plastic)was of 60% Zytel.......They were a bit thinner and solid and I beat the crap out of acouple with a 5 Pound sledge on an anvil and they did not break......cosmetically unfortunate but, still in one piece...I was impressed......I listened to a slick talking sales guy who sold me on a urethane "alloy" that was supposed to be stronger, it may have been but it was a bitch to mold.....Back to Zytel.....Phil Gibbs had a thing for Grivory which is great stuff and his favorite molder liked it......Some unnammed soul in the great frozen northeast of Canada froze the scales in a freezer for a week or two and smacked them with an Iron bar on concrete and felt they were not rugged enough because after awhile they broke, oh well I on the the otherhand was impressed.....Micarta is more rugged but It don't mold at all.......So we have closed the circle and we are back where we started which ain't a bad place to be in this case......

Stick around the natives are ALWAYS restless but they are funny and eventually helpfull......

Thanks for your interest in stuff Becker....

All best ....

Ethan

a very informative thread....i learned about the mysterious Becker handles and lizards as well. thanks to all :D

Thanks a bunch Ethan! Always nice to here from the man himself.

I have a new appreciation for the natives once I understood their language. ;)

Hey Runit....

I had a suspicion you'd catch on quick......LOL......Welcome...

Ethan

A quick note......60% above denotes glass content and I tHINK it was 60% but that was a long time ago....And, for the record, the very first Machaxes had American Black Walnut scales with 5 brass cutlers rivets holding them on......I soondiscovered that cutlers rivets should never be used on hacking and chopping tools as they tend to work loose from the repeated impacts sooner, rather than later....

Ethan

Maybe it was already covered but grivory is actually Swiss GV6H thermoplastic polymer for those who wanted to know.

Back