What is Grivory?

RUNIT, you may just be too sensitive for the Becker forum.
I'm not trying to run you off. I'm just saying you might take things in a little more stride.
Obviously, we don't have any chemical engineers or purchasing agents for Ka-Bar here.
thrillbilly thinks he's a chemical engineer, but it's questionable.

ETA: Again, if you want a quick answer, your best bet is to ask Tooj. I can bend Ethan's ear at the Gathering too, but that's a few weeks off.

Last edited:
I was just basically wanting to know if it made by KaBar in Olean or if it outsourced to another company like the one I sited in the original post.
Yes Tooj would prob be the best person to ask but I really do not care anymore.
I would have to say I am just a bit too serious and a little sensitive for this place.
Needless to say this was a mistake and I have learned my lesson.

I was just basically wanting to know if it made by KaBar in Olean or if it outsourced to another company like the one I sited in the original post.
Yes Tooj would prob be the best person to ask but I really do not care anymore.
I would have to say I am just a bit too serious and a little sensitive for this place.
Needless to say this was a mistake and I have learned my lesson.

Fair enough. I just sent a PM to you and offered again to ask Ethan.
Moose may know, but he's busy putting knives in boxes and bribing USPS to ship overnight.
My suspicion is that they're outsourced, but I'm not anywhere close to 100%, and I didn't want to offer up information that was wrong.

However, the grivor is a rare South African reptile, and you should feel free to tell all your friends about it.

RUNIT, if Moose or Ethan or Tooj don't chime in here, I'll make it a personal point to find out something about grivory's history with Beckers, including sources.
Like I said to you in PM, no one was poking fun at you. We, me included, were just having some fun with our own ignorance. And there's plenty of that to go around.

Zytel and Grivory are tough stuff. Light, resistant to just about anything, easy (cheap) to mold, very useful IMHO. Next best thing to Velcro, maybe even better.

RUNIT, you may just be too sensitive for the Becker forum.
I'm not trying to run you off. I'm just saying you might take things in a little more stride.
Obviously, we don't have any chemical engineers or purchasing agents for Ka-Bar here.
thrillbilly thinks he's a chemical engineer, but it's questionable.

ETA: Again, if you want a quick answer, your best bet is to ask Tooj. I can bend Ethan's ear at the Gathering too, but that's a few weeks off.

If by ''chemical engineer'' u mean I have family who have blown up their house-trailers whilst cooking, um, ''stuff'' then yes, I am indeed a chemical engineer lol

But Zytel was invented right here on plant Earth.

Velcro was invented by aliens! I think Whitley Strieber said so ...

...were just having some fun with our own ignorance. And there's plenty of that to go around.

In fact, I've got some extra that I'm thinking about putting up in a WTT thread. I'm interested mostly in rare South African reptiles and Kershaw's! :D

Runit,

I feel sorry for you having to putup with the BeckerHeads...There is a reason they are called that.
Basically Climbing rock gave you the technical description of the plastic we use. I'll try to put it in layman's terms:
"Grivory" is the name of a Swiss Plastics company. Their Formula: GVH6 is the plastic used in Becker handles. It is basically Nylon with mixed with fiberglass. It produces a very hard and strong plastic.
Because of the current exchange rate, we are bringing many things back to the US. So the Becker Handles will now be made with Zytel. This is a Glass filled Nylon trademarked by DuPont. Basically the same thing. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

I feel sorry for you having to putup with the BeckerHeads...There is a reason they are called that.
Dang, he knows us well. :D

If by ''chemical engineer'' u mean I have family who have blown up their house-trailers whilst cooking, um, ''stuff'' then yes, I am indeed a chemical engineer lol

Hell, I was just guessing, but it turns out I nailed it. :D

Thanks Toooj! You answered all I wanted to know.

And thank you to all the Beckerheads for a proper hazing, we all need it now and then. (you guys are just really good at it) :p

Runit,

Basically Climbing rock gave you the technical description of the plastic we use. I'll try to put it in layman's terms:
"Grivory" is the name of a Swiss Plastics company. Their Formula: GVH6 is the plastic used in Becker handles. It is basically Nylon with mixed with fiberglass. It produces a very hard and strong plastic.
Because of the current exchange rate, we are bringing many things back to the US. So the Becker Handles will now be made with Zytel. This is a Glass filled Nylon trademarked by DuPont. Basically the same thing. Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Toooj, I recall something you mentioned to me a few years back when I first wrote to you. I observed with my Camilus Becker and the KA-BAR version that although both used "Grivory," the KA-BAR Becker handles had a different sound to them then tapped with fingernails, or a screwdriver. I originally thought they were thinner, but you had mentioned that the glass fill on the KA-BAR version was higher than Camilus, hence the difference in sound/feel.

I only bring it up for the sake of the OP who seems (or seemed) interested in the possible differences in Grivory. If Grivory is a proprietary name and product, wouldn't all Grivory feel or seem the same? Or did the Grivory company change the formula? Or did KA-BAR order up a different recipe? Or am I not remembering what you said accurately? I lost all my email a few years ago, so I can't go back and check.

Also, for the sake of the OP and my own curiosity, are the slabs themselves made in Olean, or are they made elsewhere? I guess the same question goes for the new Zytel.

RUNIT, I hope you stick around. This is a great forum with some great guys and gals. The snark factor can sometimes get to be a little much and is hard to swallow at times. I can be about as sensitive as they come and I can see why you might have been put off. While the signal to noise ratio can be high, I don't think there is a better sub-forum here on BF. Except maybe the Traditional Forum... The Axe guys, too. Aw hell. You know what? F these guys. ;)

EDIT: Looks like I was writing my post while you posted yours. Glad you're still posting here. I wasn't sure if you were gone.

Thanks Toooj! You answered all I wanted to know.

And thank you to all the Beckerheads for a proper hazing, we all need it now and then. (you guys are just really good at it) :p

RUNIT, I'm really glad you saw the thread through to an answer. I was the ring leader in this one, and I'm sorry if the joking offended.

Let me also add that a "proper hazing" would involve a burro suit, a hammock, and a bottle of Seagrams. We're not quite there yet. :p

Stick around.

Back