What is so special about the Ratmandu?

I've been chasing one since I discovered and bought my M6. I check the exchange at least every hour, every day. One of them just sold within 4 minutes of being posted. Why are they so sought after?

What are the specs on this elusive little knife, that make is so desirable?

I've been chasing one since I discovered and bought my M6. I check the exchange at least every hour, every day. One of them just sold within 4 minutes of being posted. Why are they so sought after?

What are the specs on this elusive little knife, that make is so desirable?

The RMD is versatile. It may not be the best at any one thing, but you can do just about anything with it. It's small and light enough to carry anywhere, but big enough to do anything short of chop, and it can almost do that too.

(IIRC) It's made of 3/16" thick SR101, 5-5/16" blade length (sharpened length is less) 10.5" overall. Weight is 10oz with micarta scales, 11oz with G10. Came in a number of blade and scale colors.

The handle is extremely comfortable for a wide range of folks, and allows for a number of different (comfortable) grip positions, allowing you to use the knife in a number of different ways. There's even a grip position that sort of lets you chop.

If you want one "do everything" knife, this is it.

I don't have an M6, but I've heard it can do anything the M6 can but in a smaller, lighter, more nimble, better-feeling package.

It is knife perfection! Only knife I regret selling...

One of the best all around sizes and configurations.
XXX
bf-RatManDuSheath001.jpg

It's basically a slightly modified Satin Jack in SR101. I didn't like the Satin Jack, hence I don't own one. I wish it didn't have that honker of a choil.

I am probably not the best person to ask if you like the M6 and want opinions about the M6 vs. the RMD.

Personally, I honestly did NOT like the M6.

Whereas, I personally think the RMD is one of the greatest knives of all time, let alone compared to others even close to it's size. :thumbup:

The M6 is a Brute of a knife for those looking for that. But, I didn't like the feel and balance. The handle was WAY heavier than I like and the over-all weight is higher than I feel is justified for what the M6 does (for me) - IMO.

The M6 is a great pry-bar knife / anchor. :thumbup: But, that isn't what I look for in a knife.

If compared to M6's blade length, IMO there are quite a few MUCH lighter, more slender, more enjoyable to carry, more enjoyable to use, better balance, feel, ergos, etc. - while still doing everything "I" look for a knife similar in size to the M6 to do. But, that's just my opinion.

But, the RMD is significantly lighter than the M6. As mentioned above, the RMD typically weighs about 10 ounces for micarta to about 11 ounces for G10.

While I don't really consider the RMD heavy, I think it would be even nicer with a skeletonized tang and reduce another 1 - 1.5 ounces out of it's handle. But, in the RMD's case, that would just be a cherry on top. The RMD is VERY good as is.

The M6 with micarta weighs about 16.5 ounces and a LARGE part of that weight is in the M6's handle. :thumbdn:

The RMD's handle looks very similar to the M6's in pictures, but the RMD's handle is scaled down and fits, feels and balances very well.

While they might looks similar in pics and while the actual outlines might have similar lines, in hand, there is NO comparison.

I agree with Greg, rpn, and MHawg's praise for the RMD.

Like Greg said, I don't think there is one knife that can everything well. But, IMO, the RMD is one of the BEST all-purpose all-around you can find and really one of the best of ANY of the Busse and kin designs. :thumbup:

I have made a few mods to mine (stripped, dropped the point a bit) and now I think my RMD might be one of the BEST knives I own - for all around use. And over the years, I have probably owned about 100 or so different Busse and kin knives.

SwampRat-RMDwithmodified-dropped-1.jpg

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=005684

bunch of good RMD pics here: http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=006113#000015

:thumbup:

I wasn't so much comparing the two. The M6 just happened to be my first intro to Busse kin knives. The rmd does seem like a very manageable, multi task knife. I'm just so surprised they fly out of the exchange.

I've read a lot of negative stuff about the M6 lately. I'm surprised by that too. The 2 times I took it camping it was very useful and I became more and more comfortable with the level of abuse it could handle. Thanks for the input guys.

The M6 kicks ass. It was quenched in the tears of unicorns. The ratmandu is good for slicing carrots and opening your cell phone bill.

I also had a hard time finding a Ratmandu when I was ready to buy one. I posted in the "want to buy" forum and I immediately recieved a reply from a kind gentleman who had an unused extra RMD. I paid less for it than I've seen it for sale anywhere (thanks Jamie) and I couldn't be happier.

Try posting in the "want to buy" forum. I think it is a far too under utilized resource we have.

Yup. Posted in the WTB at the begining of the week. Nothing yet, but we'll see what happens

It's basically a slightly modified Satin Jack in SR101. I didn't like the Satin Jack, hence I don't own one. I wish it didn't have that honker of a choil.

Interesting. I love my RMD but I think the Satin Jack handle design looks uncomfortable.

Oh and the choil on the RMD is functional. Choking up on the handle with your index finger in the choil is surprisingly comfortable. But it's a compromise design- the choil lets you have a little extra control while choked up, and a little extra reach and leverage while in a normal grip. And not everyone is happy with compromises.

To go slightly off topic, part of me thinks the Vex and Hack from Blade are enormous practical jokes. I'll explain.

Many many people complain ceaselessly and scathingly about the choils on Busse designs. So what happens when you make a design that starts off as a typical "big choil" Busse, then grind off the guard and 2" from the butt of the handle, so what on a normal knife would be the "choked up with finger in the choil" grip position suddenly becomes the only possible grip position?

You get the Vex. People love it and say it's great because it doesn't have a choil. :confused::p:D (Of course it's got a choil. It's frikken HUGE. What it doesn't have is a guard.)

Many many people complain ceaselessly and scathingly about the choils on Busse designs.

Well... If referring to the Busse choils on MANY to Most smaller Busse knives where the over-sized sharpening choils are too small for choking up into. I am one of those who wish Busse would QUIT with that choil. :thumbdn:

When those choils are forward of the Talon hole they snag during many types of uses and the area of blade that they eliminate is a part of the blade that I highly value to have a functional cutting edge.

I don't have problems with "FUNCTIONAL" choils on the large Busse knives. But, those worthless "Cut-outs" on the smaller Busse blades like the AD, Meaner, Game Warden and many similar designs.

So what happens when you make a design that starts off as a typical "big choil" Busse, then grind off the guard and 2" from the butt of the handle, so what on a normal knife would be the "choked up with finger in the choil" grip position suddenly becomes the only possible grip position?

You get the Vex. People love it and say it's great because it doesn't have a choil. :confused::p:D (Of course it's got a choil. It's frikken HUGE. What it doesn't have is a guard.)

I don't need a guard on smaller knives.

I happen to think the Vex is one of the best "smaller" knife designs Busse has made. And better than ANY Busse choil/Talon hole knife I have ever handled. :thumbup:

In a SHTF scenario, the first knife that pops in to my mind as I grab my go pack and quickly decide which knife to grab is...the RMD. Enough belly for hunting, sized right for slicing if needed, strong enough to baton, big enough for defense. A lanyard hole that can smash a car window. Not too big, not too small.

I am glad I was able to get a couple.

Thanks guys. While this thread has been ongoing, it seems someone has a RMD to offer me, so I'm psyched.

As far as the Vex goes, I think its a perfect design. Probably my favorite of the busse kin knives I have. I bought a second after loving the first so much. I like the choil on it and I dont think there is only one position available. My hand fits fine on the back of the grip, and then I can slide it forward and use the choil. I like the narrow grip with a consistant line from end to end. I'm not a big fan of any other EDC knives busse makes. Short stubby blades, bulbous handles... talon holes, I dont like em. The Vex is a simple highly functional knife.

You should see the tan/black G10 vex I have piggybacked to a desert dog father via a sick sheath set up from Steelnut. You cant find a better camp combo IMO. I'll have to get some pictures.

Congrats on the RMD. Post some photos when you get it!

I like the sounds of that DDF and vex combo- ya got it all covered there and I bet you'll love the RMD.

Well now I know why the ratmandu is so popular. As soon as I pulled it out of the package I said "Damn! This is a perfect knife" Its a stout knife in a small package. I can't wait to get some use out of it! Thanks for the help guys

Back