What is the Definition of Ettrick??

So I asked the Stagman - Knifeman, John Lloyd, to set me up with an Ettrick!
I am ever grateful that he took the word "set" out of context!!

EttricksLL1_zpsa7b17e71.jpg

EttricksLL2_zpsadd0c5c7.jpg

EttricksLL3_zps793c7e87.jpg

EttricksLL4_zps74c2b2b2.jpg

This is the first time John has made a knife . . .er, knives, for me! Fine work, John!! They are just plain great!! F&F, W&T all first rate!
I am not sure which to carry first!? I have had all three in my pockets from the post office, several hours ago. Opened my mail when I got home, using them in turn. All razor sharp - good thing my wife wasn't home - she'd accuse me of finally losing it!! Other-worldly knives all lined up on the dining room table.
An embarrassment of riches!!:eek:
These Scots-influenced knives arrre gettin' ta mey!
Ahm sarrrtin' ta rrrroll me rrrrrs!!:D
Thanks John!!

Last edited:

EttricksLL1_zpsa7b17e71.jpg

EttricksLL3_zps793c7e87.jpg

EttricksLL4_zps74c2b2b2.jpg

This is the first time John has made a knife . . .er, knives, for me! Fine work, John!! They are just plain great!! F&F, W&T all first rate!
I am not sure which to carry first!? I have had all three in my pockets from the post office, several hours ago. Opened my mail when I got home, using them in turn. All razor sharp - good thing my wife wasn't home - she'd accuse me of finally losing it!! Other-worldly knives all lined up on the dining room table.
An embarrassment of riches!!:eek:
These Scots-influenced knives arrre gettin' ta mey!
Ahm sarrrtin' ta rrrroll me rrrrrs!!:D
Thanks John!!

That is a fine trio indeed! Mr Campagna I am extremely impressed. Nice accent by the way, sounds a bit Stirling to me ;)

Mr Lloyd, you are a very accomplished craftsman. Very well done sir!

Stunning set Charlie! I do like the one with the..............Nope, it has to be all them.

here is one I picked up in 2009

Nice Ablett, Russell!
I'd love to talk to someone who uses one all the time. Just to get a feel for the details of the pattern. I can see a lot of uses of course, but why is it slim, serpentine, etc, etc??

After a very short study and rolling the knife around in the hand. Putting the thumb on the flat kick and the curve running along the inside of my curved fingers it seems to be the position of choice. Hence the serpentine/curved back.
Looking at most of the Ettrick's though the preceding posts the kicks all seem flat, which generally they would not need to be that way. Just guessing though.

Great thread Charlie and all who posted. After looking at these knives which are totally new to me and very cool, they remind me of a Praying Mantis.
Thanks.

Absolutely outstanding Charlie :thumbup:

Charlie, what a treat! Those are spectacular! Love 'em.
Great work, once again, Mr. Lloyd!

Thanks for the "test" Russell, and the nice comments, everyone.
Pretty soon I will have a comparative group of these knives!
I'll post a group pic, by and by.

How did I miss this magnificence!! Just outstanding work by Mr. Lloyd! And you have done it again, Charlie!! Look like the perfect users with flair! What is the closed length of these beauties?

Gev, don't you love it when an answer to your question pops up 4 or 5 months after you've asked it?

The 'ettrick of LLoyd Ettricks vary slightly from 4". One spot on, one 1/16" under, and one 1/16" over. The length gives you a nice controlling grip!

Duncan from Down Below has done it again! Out of the blue, a package of Kiwi smelling goodies, including this fine pruning knife. I think it is fair to call it a curved Ettrick, or a close cousin anyway. Ettrick or pruning, the quality is there!
Tang marked:
C.J(in a flag)Johnson (over) Western (over) Works (over) Sheffield.
Tang reverse:
Hand Forged (slight double stamp) (over)
The etch is still visible, but I had a hard time capturing any of it:
FLAG [C.J] (in a flag) KNIFE

EttrickNZ6_zpsa2f92d94.jpg

EttrickNZ4_zps5d3ac77b.jpg

EttrickNZ2_zps7acfc8b0.jpg

EttrickNZ3_zpsa2418e07.jpg

EttrickNZ1_zpsf7487317.jpg

EttrickNZ5_zps8fe3fffc.jpg

The books say these markings are early. Goins says 1865 to present.
Levine says 1836 to present. Hard to tell the age from their remarks, but my guess is pre-WWII if not pre-WWI.
It is great to find a knife like this that still snaps with vigor!
It says "I can handle anything you toss my way!"
Gev, it is a robust 3 15/16' long!
Duncan, thanks my NZ friend!

I'm glad this thread was brought up again! Beautiful knives that look like excellent workers! Duncan, how very nice of you!

Wow!!! Just look at that curvy goodness!! What a fine example of the pattern. Charlie, we are going to have to start calling you Ettrick Man pretty soon.

Duncan...quite thoughtful and generous of you clansman!!

Thank for the length, Charlie:D Four inches makes these great users!

Great-looking knife Charlie, Duncan has excellent taste! :) Enjoy it my friend :thumbup:

Dear diary,

Today was a good day. I learned about Ettrick knives. Surprise, surprise, another pattern to hunt for. Now I need a lambsfoot, an Ettrick, a hawkbill.... Sheesh, this is getting out of hand! :D

I will keep my eyes out for you Dan, they do come up now and then here - when they do I will let you know.

BTW, I used the one I mentioned above everyday for about six months and it is still in the rotation. The carbon steel takes and holds an edge quite well. I found it to be surprisingly comfortable to carry, usually settling on the bottom of dress pants pocket under the keys. I have been impressed with it as a user.

Most all of you have seen this knife before. A couple of weeks ago I got a heads up from a forum member about another
Viper Dips knife on the auction site. It was exactly the same as this one but the blade was stamped ETTRICK down the blade and Forged on the tang.
I got sniped and didn't get it :eek:

Best regards

Robin

Back