What is the Definition of Ettrick??

Hey Robin - that is a smashing knife there - the other one you got sniped on - man that sounded absolutely terrific!!!
I do admit...I have sniped in the past :-(

A delayed response I know but I had to express my thanks to all the contributors to this thread. The Ettrick is such a shapely and elegant pattern and so many makers and ages are displayed here. I can't add much but may as well put in a picture of my one example of the pattern .. an Arthur Wright in horn. I bought it new about a year ago.
AWEttrick03sm2_zps7df7b67f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
AWEttrick05sm_zps8efba34b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a nice one, ADEE.
And yours is a great old thing, Robin!
Too bad about the snipe! Stamped Ettrick you say??? Sigh . . . .

I find this the most comfortable pattern for whittling, good to see discussion on them.

Well I have been meaning to show off this Ettrick accumulation (to date), so here goes!
They have been mostly gifts! I owe this bunch to a few of you generous veterans of the Forum, and I thank you immensely!
The least I can do is post some pictures . . . . .
The top one is a Joseph Rodgers, and my first one I think! Its last home was in New Zealand!:D Next is a brace of A.Wrights from our UK contingent. Wizardly!!
Then a no-namer from some obscure American distributor. The final 3 are from a local All-American boy and purveyor of fine Stag and Custom knives!;)

EttrickgrpA_zps5f96fe72.jpg

They all display the characteristics of the Ettrick pattern as noted in old Sheffield catalogs and elsewhere. The Rodgers is a bit stockier than average, but has the straight edge and serpentine configuration when deployed.

In the next picture, the second knife displays a variation, a gently curved blade. It is also a beefy knife like its fellow (Rodgers) above it. This knife also flew with the Earth's magnetic field, to make its way from NZ; a fine C.Johnson Flag Knife!

EttrickgrpB_zpsc009c416.jpg

The final two are actually considered "Peach Pruners", pictured here, just because they are such close relatives.
A.Wright and T.Ablett respectively.

earths_magnetic_field_wide_zps69fe3201.jpg

Last edited:
Those bottom three in the first picture ,my favorites(especially the stag),are fine as frog hair.

Great collection Charlie :) I love the Lloyd's, and hope they were fun to make. The Stealth Ettrick interests me, is it stainless Charlie?

Having fully immersed yourself in the River Ettrick, is it a pattern you intend to keep on collecting Charlie?

fine as frog hair.

:D :thumbup:

Frog Hair - Good one Lyle - havent heard that one I admit!

The Ettricks are building Charlie - Thank you for showing us! - I love the Horn on that Peach Slicer - Horn can really be great at times!

This picture got me thinking...I was almost 100% sure the JR was full bladed - do you think Charlie a downward tip has been slowly removed? - I must try and find a catalogue!

I love the Lloyds too, you know...if someone was to make a Scratted Ivory scaled Ettrick with the Blade Stamped ETTRICK KNIFE - with some scrolling( like our good friend Robin missed out on ) - that would suit that styled knife down to a T!

Last edited:
I love the Lloyds too, you know...if someone was to make a Scratted Ivory scaled Ettrick with the Blade Stamped ETTRICK KNIFE - with some scrolling( like our good friend Robin missed out on ) - that would suit that styled knife down to a T!

We're thinking alike Duncan,I'm hoping to get a scratted FJ made someday!!I really like those nice designs,as on Charlies knife he posted before.I think it was a JR tea pruner.

I'm tempted by that Wright Ettrick you showed ADEE. But I've had rotten experiences with their knives that I'm rather wary. Fine example yours.

Thanks, Will

An outstanding collection, Charlie!! The Flag knife captivates me and of course the Lloyds are marvelous pieces. Thanks for the look

Thanks for all the contributions, Jack, Christian, Robin and Jeff!
It is becoming clear to me now!

It seems that that smaller, straight edge would be a snap to sharpen, and very handy for many things.

What a great design - it gives an old dog a new way of thinking about a pocket knife! Woof!:p

I like it when you get to thinking, Charlie.

Ed J

New American Ettrick

So with a gift balance to an online store burning a hole in my pocket, I was browsing and ran across this "wood carving" knife supposedly made by a small knife shop in Baltimore, Maryland. It looked like an Ettrick knife, and after finding this thread, I believe it is the unmarked knife that a few of you have. I like to support small US businesses from time to time, so I ordered one. Here are a few pictures that may give an idea of the quality.

Rosewood handles- the sides don't exactly match in color, but I still think they look nice.

Close up pics show how rough the finish is:

The pull is light, maybe a 4 or 5, but it has a nice enough snap. No blade play or wobble. It came quite dull, but I can sharpen it. I don't mean to be too negative, as I actually like this knife quite a bit. It feels nice in hand, and may not be far off from what would be available from a maker in England, at least at this price ($25)

With A. Wrights Lambsfoot for comparison.

Last edited:
A nice Etty for $25 I say R8shell - thats serious bang for your Buck - do you know what the Steel is? Ah... never mind just read the Card...ooh Carbon Steel eh? Great buy R8shell!

Nice Ettrick r8shell, interesting to see the pattern apparently being produced in the US :thumbup:

Close up pics show how rough the finish is

Ah, that'll be the "Little Mester Quality"! ;) :D :thumbup:

The price is right to just sharpen it up and tote it around, R8shell, and enjoy "Ettrickness"!!
I like the harlequin handles, actually. They complement the knife's "utility" mission statement!
I'm going to dig mine out, sharpen and use it!

I suspect that is what "Little Mester Quality" is all about, Jack.:rolleyes:

Ah, that'll be the "Little Mester Quality"! ;) :D :thumbup:

:D Yes. I was trying to think of a diplomatic way of putting it. :thumbup:

The price is right to just sharpen it up and tote it around, R8shell, and enjoy "Ettrickness"!!
I like the harlequin handles, actually. They complement the knife's "utility" mission statement!
I'm going to dig mine out, sharpen and use it!

Thanks, I will. It's the right mix of classy, but working knife.

Back