What is the dumbest thing you have seen a non-knife person do with a blade?

Every one of my buddies or semi-intelligent people that I hand a knife to,9 times out of 10 will wrist flick my knives with unusual force.

Kind of like slamming someones car door....

Every one of my buddies or semi-intelligent people that I hand a knife to,9 times out of 10 will wrist flick my knives with unusual force.

Kind of like slamming someones car door....

I have noticed that too. Its like they under estimate the smoothness and ease of a quality blade.

D.I.Y body modifications like tongue splitting, ear shredding/removal or scarring tattoos.

D.I.Y body modifications like tongue splitting, ear shredding/removal or scarring tattoos.

That's a matter of opinion. Do you mean in general, or self modification? Some people can expertly achieve their goal on themselves as easily as someone else.

I saw a father on a hiking trip with his young son teaching his son to clean a knife's blade by pinching the blade with his thumb and index finger from the edge side of the blade and drawing the sharp edge lengthwise between his thumb and finger.

I about had apoplexy. We were at least 2 hours from any transport or medical assistance. I politely suggested that if one is going to use one's fingers to clear off a blade one should instead wipe the blade on one's jeans from back side to edge, pulling away from the edge.

I was loudly told to f*** off.

I saw a father on a hiking trip with his young son teaching his son to clean a knife's blade by pinching the blade with his thumb and index finger from the edge side of the blade and drawing the sharp edge lengthwise between his thumb and finger.

I about had apoplexy. We were at least 2 hours from any transport or medical assistance. I politely suggested that if one is going to use one's fingers to clear off a blade one should instead wipe the blade on one's jeans from back side to edge, pulling away from the edge.

I was loudly told to f*** off.

LOL! Some idiots just don't want to learn

My uncle once requested to use my razor-sharp Spyderco Yojimbo 2 for sawing the head off of a fish that he had placed on a pillar of gravelly broken concrete. I refused, knowing the edge would be destroyed, and he proceeded to mock me for being the knife guy afraid to use his knives. I tried to tell him that I would be more than happy to let him cut the fish on an appropriate surface, but he wasn't having it. He made fun of me and my knife too fancy to cut with for the remainder of the visit. It should be stated that my uncle is a drunk. lol

Had something like that. My dad insisted to use my 3" buck 290 rush to cut a watermelon. Instead of my BK9. He banged that blade off of the steel park-bench table a half dozen times.

Well, to help keep this thread alive:

How to keep a non-knife person safe while proving that a knife person isn't always smart:

My daughter was trying to use a butter knife as a screwdriver (removing an under counter bracket). I told her she was going to hurt herself and took the knife away from her. Like a complete idiot, I looked at what she was doing, saw that the screw was almost out and thought "what the heck."

You see this coming, don't you? The danged knife slipped off the screw and the scalloped knife edge made a deep ragged cut to my left hand forefinger pad. Right where you press to chord a guitar. Nerve damage to this day keeps me from playing (it is beginning to get better).

I _KNEW_ better! Moral:
Always use the right tool for the job.

I worked at a gun shop part time and a co worker asked for my knife to open some boxes. I handed him my microtech ultratech and walked away. Some time had passed and I ask for my knife back with a blank stare he walks over to where was opening boxes. I followed him over and he is looking everywhere for the knife. I asked him if he lost my very expensive knife and he just shakes his head. He pulls out fifty bucks and I start laughing and tell him he is short $150. He eventually pays me full amount and I replaced the knife.

Just bought a Barrage and a Pentagon eliet 1... Buddy of mine from the barracks is checking them out... Decided he's gonna grind the blades together like on the movies right before they carve a turkey... I almost carved him

Let's see how sharp this blade you sharpened; proceeds to cut open finger.
Followed by "yep pretty sharp".

Or let someone play with a butterfly knife. Never again.

Back