What Knife Has Pleasantly Surprised You the Most?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RedLynx, Dec 5, 2014.

1. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    For me it has to be the ZT 0454. I knew I wanted one, I expected to like it, but I really didn't think I'd carry it that frequently. I figured it was just too big for my carry routine--except it isn't, it carries small for a 4.1" bladed knife. On the days I'm not carrying a Southard, I frequently find I'm carrying this guy:

[​IMG]

IMO, this thing is a fantastic design. I find it carries much, much, much better than the 0777 does, and it feels fantastic in use.

2. RedLynx

RedLynx Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 5, 2011
    The blade and handle look good and fit together so nicely. It's really one of the knives I'd say is a truly functional work of art. And I don't save that often. I'll never afford it, but it looks great, likely functions great.

3. Crunchmeister

Crunchmeister

Feb 17, 2013
    The Mora 511 and 546, for starters. Sharp as heck out of the box,and at $5 a piece I bought 'em just to see what all the noise about them was about. Great little ugly knives, excellent steel, awesome slicers. Wove some paracord necklaces and gave the 546 to a friend who would do better with stainless. My Ontario Tak1 was a pleasant surprise. The handle which others have so frequently maligned work well for me. Since I got it in condition on the secondary market at a steal, I figured I'd give it a whirl. The f&f was great, good grind lines and reasonably sharp. I've beaten on it yet it holds a great edge.

4. numbersman

numbersman

Nov 28, 2010
    I have been pleasantly surprised by my CRKT fixed Falcon. Sweet little neck knife. I have more expensive neckers, which I find a really convenient way to carry around the home and garden, as well as camping, but this is one I find myself reaching for over and over. Cheap plastic scales, which are surprisingly comfy, lightweight, takes a very nice edge and sharpens up again easily. This is a knife which just works really well. It has a nice comfy choil too.

5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    Double post

6. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
    The knife that has most surprised me was the Lone Wolf Mini Landslide. I wanted an inexpensive knife that was highly corrosion resistant for water use that was inexpensive, in case off loss. Well, this USA made knife was only around $30 or so from KW, has N680 Nitrogen steel, and is as smooth as butter. I bough orange, but it comes in OD green and pink, as well. I may do a review this week.
    There is a larger Landslide, too. At the KW site, search "landslide" and they will all come up.

The second knife that surprised me was the Spyderco Cat. I have said this many times, but this $40 knife came with a fit and finish beyond many of my more expensive knives. And, while I am not a liner lock fan (to say the least) the detent on my example was very strong. There were no hot spots and all the edges were nicely broken to de-horn the knife.

7. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    The one that pleasantly surprised me the most is my Delica. I didn't really think I would like a back lock on my knife. I carry the foliage green with a combo blade in my right front pocket, and a ZT 0562 in my left front pocket. The titanium/damascus Delica is my Sunday "going to meeting knife". I also switch out the Glock for a Kimber on Sunday :D

8. WuGod

WuGod

Aug 10, 2014
    Ontario Marine Raider. Such a big knife but so well balanced it only feels heavy on your hip. Utilitac II, cant imagine a better $20 knife not 2 opinels. Hope to be as knocked out by Moras on the way.

9. kwik9

kwik9

Nov 16, 2009
    Cold Steel AK-47
    This company seems to get lots of hype, both good and bad. When I saw the AK-47 on sale during Black Friday, I thought it would be a good opportunity to try it out. It's a much better knife than I expected it to be. Strong, large, sharp, comfortable, and lighter than I thought it would be. Very pleasantly surprised! Hasn't left my pocket since i got it!

10. Acesn8s

Acesn8s

Sep 23, 2012
    The Ontario Utilitac II. The surprising part is how unusually smooth it deploys for a knife in it's price range.

11. callahan studios

callahan studios

Nov 18, 2014
    My HK MP5 auto is by far my favorite!

12. bearcut

bearcut

Sep 3, 2006
    Boker Oberland.
    Extremely well built, excellent design.
    Easily one of my top folders.

13. BayouBulldog

BayouBulldog

Mar 17, 2014
    The most surprised I've been from a knife... Thinking I wouldn't really like it... But love it.... CASE MEDIUM STOCKMAN! CV blade in yellow. Cheap and simple design! Great knife!

I like it so much I bought a second one in SS with blue synthetic scales. These things are really great! The blades keep a wicked sharp edge and the different blades work great for various tasks!

I've given up on some of my bigger EDC knives! Very surprised.

14. RedLynx

RedLynx Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I just bought a Buck Stockman recently, myself, and am enjoying it. Sadly they seem to have discontinued the yellow Delrin ones, which is what I really wanted.

15. RkyMtn

RkyMtn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I bought a Manix 2 XL to have in the car to handle whatever need arose. Took it on hikes and, since it was under $100 (amazon), I decided to really test this knife, just to see if I could break it doing hard use tasks (my fav was digging holes into a log with the tip and twisting the knife to see if I could cause the knife to break or get twisted from the torque or loose in the pivot. My wrist got tired before I could make the knife show any signs of failure or warping. It is not on my backpack permanently, and another in the car. Super size for the weight and I love a slicer flat-V grind!!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  16. GlennH

GlennH

Oct 22, 2014
    Back around 1980, I saw a box of these Imperial Frontier 4" stockman on clearance sale at K-Mart for $3.00 each. I bought two of them, thinking, hey they're cheapies, but I'll put one in each tool box. Can't go wrong for 3 bucks, right? Didn't realize at the time, these are actually really good quality, made by Camillus. To this day, I still have both of them, and they are two of my favorites. Here is one of them...(wish I'd bought more of them!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Ilovetoolsteel

Ilovetoolsteel

Jul 28, 2003
    The Ontario Rat folder. (large) excellent fit finish, locks up like a Mosler bank vault. great dropped point blade shape, full flat grind, pretty good steel (aus8) and it cost me like $32 with free shipping. Ontario got everything right, (except it's kinda ugly)

18. lazy otter

lazy otter Banned BANNED

Apr 4, 2013
    My 2009 bark River micro tusk...just love it!

19. RetiredGuns

RetiredGuns

Mar 13, 2009
    A couple for me. The SnG CC. NEVER thought I'd own a Strider, but this knife is perfect. It's such a good example I have been tempted to pass it around, but am afraid I won't get it back!

The Native 5 as well. It is the best Spyderco I have ever used. I got rid of all my PM2s after carrying this knife. Love the low profile when closed and the ergos are spot on.

20. LonnyRS

LonnyRS

Jan 21, 2013
    ZT 0562 CF. At 210 it's a STEAL!! Very nice knife, more than I expected..