What knife magazine do you read most?

Blade is still the best in my book. A fine balance between custom and production and between pictures and articles. The others usually get a cursory exam at the newsstand and nothing more. Firery first post for this thread huh?

And no, I don't know who lawdog is. Oregon is a fairly large state.

[This message has been edited by Oregon Duck (edited 21 September 1999).]

I tend to like Blade best. Thats why I subcribe to this. I like Tactical Knives also but think its alittle to much "Tacticall". (not the knives but all the stuff about using them tacticall)
There are two french magazines called Excallibur and the french word for cutlery (cant remember the spelling sorry) . I dont understand french but these are very good too.

------------------
Jens Anso, ansoknives@hotmail.com
(check out my homepage)
home6.inet.tele.dk/ansoe/ansoknives

I just signed up for a couple of year's of Tactical Knives. Once in a while I'll get a copy of Blade, but only when there's something of specific interest to me.

Ray

------------------
Knowledge without understanding is knowledge wasted.
Understanding without knowledge is a rare gift - but not an impossibility.
For the impossible is always possible through faith. - Bathroom graffiti, gas station, Grey, TN, Dec, 1988

AKTI Member #A000831

Well, after reading the last few posts, I guess Tactical Knives is definitely my favorite! Steven Dick and crew, keep up the good work!

------------------
www.simonichknives.com

[This message has been edited by Rob Simonich (edited 21 September 1999).]

The feed back here as been tremendous. While it looks like Blade was a great choice to advertise, it looks like Tactical Knives would also be a fantastic choice. If I can manage my time so that I can make more knives, I will definitly have to add an ad to Tactical Knives.

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Discounts to Police and Active Duty Military

Just a post about Tactical Knives.

First of all, let me say I appreciate the positive words about my article in the November issue of TK. You are correct, I only write about what I'm experienced in.

As for the other viewpoints that were brought up - personally, I find the content of TK interesting and informational. Many of these subjects, for those who are not skilled 'knife fighters' - such as myself - are still read with interest - AND appreciated.

While I may disagree with some articles, tactics, or information, I have found that I can always learn something from everyone.

Some of TK's writers are known to me and I highly prize their knowledge, experience, and integrity. I learn from them on a personal as well as public level via the TK publication. Some of their tactics I don't agree with, however, it is I, alone, that chooses what I wish to pursue and believe - as with any media outlet.

Any magazine, book, news media, or any other sources information should be taken with the idea to learn and believe what you want to accept.

As far as Steven Dick goes; over the past year I have gotten to know him on a personal level. His integrity is first-class and his qualifications are not in question in my mind.

I personally know that Steve Dick is not just looking for former soldiers, specops guys, or 'Rambos' in his stable of writers. As for me, I have never had ANY formal military training and the closest I've ever gotten was being a small town cop for a year.

I do take my widlerness serious and I believe Steve respects my opinions and articles based on that...now if I submitted a fighting knife piece it would be the first on the editor chopping block because he knows I do not have the experience to speak on such subjects.

Steve is constantly in search of good articles based on experience. I know because he turns down far more articles than published, some for the content, others because of sub-standard photos...I respect that and believe it show integrity in trying to produce an enteratining magazine with as much quality as possible.

Another point, I have reviewed many blades and found them to be sub-standard, thus I feel there's no reason for submitting an article. This was not Dick's call but mine and I know other writers who do the same thing.

As far as the 4 page advertising. I personally do not like this type advertising, but a magazine must draw ads to support its existence. I know since I helped edit a small magazine once.

As far the 'Tactical' name. I don't have a problem with it since I believe 'political correctness' has caused most of our problems in the knife and gun world. I can make as many arguments for it as anyone could against it, but that's best reserved for the 'political forum.' Hopefully Spark will keep this thread up in the general area since I would like to see other people's ideas on what would make TK and other mags better.

Just some thought...now I'm off to catch a plane to the SOF Conevntion and play Rambo for a week
smile.gif
- Jeff

------------------
Randall's Adventure & Training
jeff@jungletraining.com

Just for the record, and as I stated in the very first issue of TK, I feel "tactical knife" means one that is primarily a tool rather than a weapon. Any real combat vet will tell you that is how they are actually used in the military. That only goes double for civilian users. Others, including some of the people that write for TK, seem to feel differently.
The one thing I know about politically correct speech is that the list of incorrect words constantly changes. No matter what the magazine was called those that didn't like knives would find a reason to condemn it.
Steven Dick, Editor Tactical Knives

Back