What knife to get under 40usd/eur?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by ee3rkr334f, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    In an urban environment get a folder. Get an Ontario RAT2 in D2 steel. Beat the snot out of it, it can take it. :thumbsup:

I would note, this knife is a slicer; it is not a pry bar.

Psy223 and bigsurbob like this.
  2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    No 1/4" is too thick most times for me.

3. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    Your sentence syntax in your first post could make a person think you were confused about fractions. I mean, it's a heck of an assumption, but this is the internet.

LG&M and bigsurbob like this.
  4. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    1/8" or 0.125" is rather a traditional knife spine thickness, particularly for folding knives.
    A "super-slicer" ,in a 3-4" length blade, will be more in line with a 0.100" spine thickness...and still will not be expected to snap under reasonable use...even for some batonning when on a camping wkend.

TheEdge01 likes this.
  5. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter in 52100.

Easy to conceal because of handle on thin side, not too large but still decent sized, construction is as solid as it gets with entire knife being one chunk of steel, 5mm thick full flat grind blade.
    This knife is seriously tough to beat, especially at the price point...

W. Anderson and DocT like this.
  6. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    If you want affordable and tough, go for mora robust instead of the companion. It’s thicker stock and very tough!

For folder, definiely the before mentioned RATs.

7. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    +1 on an MT or SAK.

8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    Mora sounds good, but since he needs a knife for urban carrying - definitley not an option.

Round handle and big blocky plastic sheath make it a nightmare to conceal.

Also, since he mentioned weight, I assume he needs a knife that can take some abuse.
    From my personal experience I can reccomend Drop Forged Hunter from Cold steel.
    My favourite knife for EDC, especially in urban areas.
    Another plus to Cold Steel is really good sheath with no rattle to it, you can just screw off nylon strap part and carry it in the pocket, like I do, or add C-clip which will give you load of carry options.
    I carry Boker GoBag when it's warm so I dress lightly, go somewhere very formal or for similar occasions.

But Cold Steel Drop Forged Hunter really gives you lots of confidence when you hold it, it has some weight to it, but it's really well balanced. Another thing I like about it is the handle, neutral and long enough to offer you various options of grip, and most importantly - it has a guard so your hand won't slide up on the blade even if you use it to stab something hard. Bottom of the handle can also serve as a pommel, and it's also designed in such way that you have something to grab onto while you are pulling your knife out of something (either sheath or anything else).
    52100 steel is some good stuff, extremley good edge retention and toughness. Toughness is further increased by constructing entire knife out of single chunk of steel, and making 5mm thick blade.

Based on my personal experience, I really reccomend this knife.

Beastchopper likes this.
  9. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    You should really clarify your requirements more. To me it sounds like you want a knife for prying, but without clarification, who knows.

If it were me, I'd spend a bit more and get something from Esee (an izula). If you are going to pry with it, might as well make sure the warranty will cover breakage.

Right now, knifecenter has the RAT 1 for $23. Get that and some sort of pry tool/bar and you are set. I believe schrade makes some very inexpensive small/medium fixed blades in 1095 or the like for under $40. There really are lots of options. To do more of your own investigation, you could use one of the very good search tools from supporting dealers like knifecenter or bladehq. Pick your exact specifications and they will spit out a list. Maybe come back and ask more specific question of certain models that interest you.

Thank you. Mistakes like this bug the crap out of me!
    You missed the point.
    That is exactly how it reads.

If you say 3/16" is too thick and then go on to say that even 1/4" is too thick, it means you think 3/16" is thicker than 1/4".

10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Damn, I was thinking 3/8 for some reason.
    3/16 isn't actually that bad and I think I have a few in this size range that are about 3/16.

bigsurbob, Bastler and Shorttime like this.
  11. Shorttime

Shorttime

Oct 16, 2011
    3/8's is TOPS territory!

And as the owner of a Lil' Roughneck, I can assure you that expecting decent cutting performance from something that thick is... optimistic. 1/4" thick is better, but finding something with a quarter inch spine, decent HT, any kind of warranty, and so on, you're likely way over that $40 ceiling in the OP.

IMO, 3/16 is the best compromise between cutting performance and "Millwright resistant".

bigsurbob likes this.
  12. Hobbes118

Hobbes118

Aug 12, 2018
    How do you like that anza random knife? I was shocked at how cheap you can get
    them and I could help but buy myself one

13. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I like it a lot. I haven’t carried it much because the cross draw sheath requires that I pull my belt out of the loops and rethread it with the sheath installed. I really want a pocket slip for it. The full-length handle with the short blade suit it well for my purposes. My wk5 precursor hs proven to be extremely tough over the years. I see no reason why this one should be different.

14. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2014
    I would go with a Cold Steel Recon Scout. They're affordable and tough as nails. Depending on what you're trying to accomplish here you may consider the Special forces shovel. I have legitimately chopped down trees with both in a pinch.

15. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Rat 1 or 2. If you're going to be prying, add a pocket size prybar. I think Schrade makes or made one.

EDIT:
    Your local Lowes/Home Depot might have the old style paint can "prybar" with a bottle opener on one end for between nothing and a couple bucks.
    They are good for light prying jobs besides taking the lid off a gallon of house paint or stain.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  16. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Cold Steel Tuff Lite

4AAED6C5-2A36-483A-95D7-82A9DC00C797.jpeg 3FB24709-7968-4C46-9909-EEF048A88CF6.jpeg

DocT and anthonycastorena2014 like this.
  17. Astrogator

Astrogator

Mar 19, 2012
    Hello,

Remember .

Knives are for cutting.

Hammers are for beating.

Crowbars are for prying.

Get yourself a Mora or Opinel.

The other two I leave to your discretion.

:D:D:D:D:D:D.

Cheers.

18. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I used Drop Forged Hunter for all, cutting, beating and prying, and it's still as good as new :D

bigsurbob likes this.
  19. Bill247

Bill247

Mar 17, 2020
    Urban exploration. I have carried the cold steel tanto and after being "accidentally" locked in a file room and then an elevator, this accountant has routinely put a cold steel tanto in my laptop bag. It's recon version around $45 US where I am. I have used it to breach a door. Opened a can of food ( I should have brought a p38 can opener but it was taken by airport security and I forgot to replace it to my keyring.
    However I prefer the convience of folding knives and can recommend the cold steel Voyager. I have all sizes from 3 to 5.5.tanto, clip,and vaquero styles On one occasion I was at the company family picnic. My colleague's son really really wanted a fire in the bbq pit but the organizers had a propane bbq. As it had been raining for days and the only wood available was soggy split chunks of commercial firewood and wet broken branches and twigs on the ground. I only had my cold steel voyager and my spyderco para 2 and my daughter had her cara cara 2 on her. I decided to use the voyager and took the wet logs to baton them into manageable sizes and get to the dry part of the wood. I proceeded to whittle /featherstick and make curls , added in a couple of tissues. And with my mini bic lighter (I don't smoke, just edc) lit a fire and delighted a future pyromaniac. The para2 was probably capable , but at 3 times the price, I wasn't going to find out, but the cara cara 2 which I love for lightweight edc ,did not inspire confidence to baton with. I probably could have driven home 30 min for a hatchet , not misused my knifesince as it was not life or death survival. However my Voyager always inspired confidence and it did not disappoint. Yes it can take moderate batoning l get to dry wood, though I don't recommend it. I didnt bring my laptop bag with me that had a strong fixed blade. My. Arms were full with food to cook. I just confidently used the knife in my pocket. Cold steel voyager. I have the Ontario RAT and hundreds more but the voyager instills confidence

anthonycastorena2014 likes this.
  20. stevekolt

stevekolt Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    Buck...'nuff said.

Scott J. and bigsurbob like this.