What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

Humm, maybe an Amazon Skinner? I’d take one, I’m not proud. But I’d take at least two of the “original” (?) ones. What would you call one and the other? I mean, the non-Amazon knives would be addressed as what? Just want to make sure. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Your knives are pretty big and I have limited use for large knives. These tools really shine when you get to use them.

If you hooked up with Joe Paranee and made a 3 inch or so Wharncliffe like he promotes, with the pancake Kydex and velcro wrap for cross draw- I’d be all over it. $300 or less would be reasonable.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-aldrich-gray-spyderco.1753860/#post-20066648

The Kydex on the DEK1 is awesome. The snap when you seat the blade is exceptional.

Thanks Mitch

Your knives are pretty big and I have limited use for large knives. These tools really shine when you get to use them.

If you hooked up with Joe Paranee and made a 3 inch or so Wharncliffe like he promotes, with the pancake Kydex and velcro wrap for cross draw- I’d be all over it. $300 or less would be reasonable.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...-aldrich-gray-spyderco.1753860/#post-20066648

The Kydex on the DEK1 is awesome. The snap when you seat the blade is exceptional.

Thanks Mitch

A little CPK wharncliffe like the original Spyderco Ronin would be sweet.

well that's good luck. We're grinding sheet now and once the K18 is off the mill the Kephart is next. We'll start cutting chips in about 4 weeks.

Other than being made of a high hardness, abrasion resistant, unbreakable super steel I will attempt to copy the original closely. I had to rein in my natural tendencies to tweak, tweak, tweak. It's not thick, but it's not super thin either. ~.160" at the ricasso. I want to make the knife that Horace would choose today, I think it would be hubris to modify his design on this project. I'll stick to the metallurgy on this one and leave the geometry alone.

I need to spend more time around these parts...

I heard whisperings of a CPK Kephart and I had to find confirmation - this has me really excited, yet apprehensive as well. I've been a Kephart nerd for quite some time and have used a number of "Kepharts" - custom and production. To be perfectly frank, most fall short, and aside from the more modern touches that Ethan Becker incorporated, his version from Ka-Bar is one of the best out there even though it is a production example and lacks the finer touches that make a custom knife shine.

There are subtleties to the classic Kephart design that so many makers fail to hit and it is those subtleties that make the original design such a phenomenal knife. I trust that Nathan and crew can absolutely deliver and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

(I am still a wee bit apprehensive though....)

Is this going to be a small run or will it be a bit more open ended like the DEK1 preorder? That was pretty painless for me and though I wait a bit longer for the knife - I still end up with one all the same.

I need to spend more time around these parts...

I heard whisperings of a CPK Kephart and I had to find confirmation - this has me really excited, yet apprehensive as well. I've been a Kephart nerd for quite some time and have used a number of "Kepharts" - custom and production. To be perfectly frank, most fall short, and aside from the more modern touches that Ethan Becker incorporated, his version from Ka-Bar is one of the best out there even though it is a production example and lacks the finer touches that make a custom knife shine.

There are subtleties to the classic Kephart design that so many makers fail to hit and it is those subtleties that make the original design such a phenomenal knife. I trust that Nathan and crew can absolutely deliver and I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

(I am still a wee bit apprehensive though....)

Is this going to be a small run or will it be a bit more open ended like the DEK1 preorder? That was pretty painless for me and though I wait a bit longer for the knife - I still end up with one all the same.

Hey Dylan, for frame of reference, do you also happen to own one from either Mike McCarter and/or Dan Eastland? I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts on the CPK either way, but both of these guys put some effort into a very close representation of the original from what I understand.

I would like to see an 8 inch Integral Shiv:eek::D

An Integral fixed blade is one made of all one billet of steel. This means that the blade, bolsters, tang, and pommel are all made out of one single piece of steel. The advantage of this is that the steel grain runs uninterrupted across the entire knife, rather than having multiple steels attached to the main blade. This significantly improves the strength, durability, and lifetime of the blade.

I would like to see an 8 inch Integral Shiv:eek::D

An Integral fixed blade is one made of all one billet of steel. This means that the blade, bolsters, tang, and pommel are all made out of one single piece of steel. The advantage of this is that the steel grain runs uninterrupted across the entire knife, rather than having multiple steels attached to the main blade. This significantly improves the strength, durability, and lifetime of the blade.
Now wouldn't that be nice.:eek: With all the new skills and equipment Nathan has a perfect chance to use them.:D

Hey Dylan, for frame of reference, do you also happen to own one from either Mike McCarter and/or Dan Eastland? I’ll be curious to hear your thoughts on the CPK either way, but both of these guys put some effort into a very close representation of the original from what I understand.

I have not - though I would like to. Both of those guys have had the opportunity to examine the original that Ethan has and from what I can tell by pictures, they pretty much nailed it. I've been wanting one of Mike's ever since he started making them but I have no idea how to get a hold of him or even if he is still making knives. I am pretty sure I can get on Dan's books still and have been considering it.

Pardon my poor editing (and gall to edit a CPK at all), but this concept is something I'd love to see the CPK team make...a small/mini UF, with thinner blade height and scaled down size but similar handle ergonomics and blade shape.

EDIT: I was thinking this would be smaller than the DEK, but a maybe little thicker blade stock than the EDC or maybe with just the reinforced tip? Maybe 7ish inches overall?

Last edited:
Pardon my poor editing (and gall to edit a CPK at all), but this concept is something I'd love to see the CPK team make...a small/mini UF, with thinner blade height and scaled down size but similar handle ergonomics and blade shape.

EDIT: I was thinking this would be smaller than the DEK, but a maybe little thicker blade stock than the EDC or maybe with just the reinforced tip? Maybe 7ish inches overall?

Wish I could like this post a hundred times. Looks like Nystagmus Nystagmus is reading my mind!

Back