What knives do you actually use day to day?

I usually carry a couple, some mix of the list below. Today it's the Mnandi and GEC 78.

GEC 77 Washington Jack, Micarta 78, Bloodwood 85, or Stag 72
SAK Pioneer
CRK Damascus Mnandi

Good choice! I was so torn between the Jigged W/Bolster and the CF version, ended up going with the Jigged version but that CF version is stunning as well. You got one of the last CF's we have too, only 1 left.
You all are terrible enablers. I'd never heard of a J.E. Made knife and went and took a look out of curiosity.

5 minutes later I'm checking out with a jigged titanium bolster in my cart.

I hate you all!

I'm really new here but I really like this forum. My edc is a swiss army centurian in a benchmade cloth belt case, been with this knife for about 12 years. This case keeps it close to the body and I don't hit doorway sides or have the cased knife get in the way. Also have a swiss army really small metal sided dual bladed knife for opening mail and such. Had it for a long time too but I can't remember the name of the knife. Also take a Benchmade Casbah auto along sometimes.

I guess recently the answers would be:
- Case Small Texas Jack
- Case Stockman
- Victorinox Farmer
- Victorinox Pioneer
- Case Peanut
- ZT 0566

6 months ago or 6 months from now, the answers may be different.

I use kitchen knives more often than pocket knives, but you excluded those.

May I ask why?

If you have 75 folding knives, you are a collector. You don't buy 75 folding knives because you need 75 folding knives to use. Why would you decrease the resale value on every single one of them, by using them? I can understand that you like different kinds of knives and enjoy using them, but all 75? It sounds like you could get more of your money back, if you left some of them in mint condition to sell at a higher price later.
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm in a similar situation so I thought I'd offer my answer.

I own around 500 different folders and have a carry rotation of 64 different knives. Every one of my knives is a candidate for carry with only a couple of exceptions; I have a 40th anniversary Spyderco Native that's been a safequeen, mostly because I have other Natives that I carry...and a ZT0606 that I've never carried because...well, I've not felt like looking like a pimp.

I don't have all those knives as a collector. I'm a user. I tend to be compulsive about knife buying, although less now than in years past. I guess you might call me a coll-user :p. I don't care about "retaining value" on my knives, except to the point of taking care of something I care about. Of the 440-some-odd knives that don't actively get carried, probably 100 or so are candidates to work into the rotation while something else goes to storage. The rest are either crap knives or knives that life is too short to carry.

With 64 knives in my EDC rotation, I still have a few that tend to be regulars: CF Small Sebenza 21, Chaparral LWT, Mini Ritter Grip with custom scales probably fight their way into my pocket more than any others. A new Bugout is giving these a run for their money...

Endura is my go to knife most often during the summer due to it’s light weight. More comfy when wearing shorts.

I have quite a few knives with only a very few that I consider non-user safe-queens. Those, I have just to have, and that's ok. I rotate through a very large number of others, because well, why not? Almost all of my knives are perfect and I mean that sincerely. Almost all of my knives cut well*, do everything I have ever asked of them, and any one of them will last longer on this earth than I will. Their differences lie in what I like about each particular one. I could just carry my Sebenza for the rest of my life, or one of my Wayfarers, or possibly one of my number Emersons. Maybe that Medford Praetorian. Maybe, maybe, maybe. But, that would be boring and Life is short, and I like being spoiled for choices. I wouldn't have it any other way.

*Sure, maybe not as well as an Opinel, but who cares?

I'm not a collector (no offense to those that do, I just don't self identify as one is all). I guess I would call myself a user who appreciates a good tool, and so I do a lot of research to find what tool I feel like fits my specific use cases best (EDC, camp, chopper, machete, kitchen, etc). Hence, when I end up buying one, I tend to keep it for a long time.

My last EDC I had for 8 years before I lost it (Boker Exskelimoor II, still haven't chose a replacement). I used it for pretty much all non-food related cutting tasks (I keep an opinel in my work bag for food at work, then of course kitchen knives at home). As long as the next one I choose fits my needs as well as the Boker, I imagine I'll hold onto it for years as well (provided I don't loose it :p).

The only safe queen I have is a elephant ivory Northwoods Madison Barlow. The others may get used depending on how I feel, but I'm pretty much in a rut in terms of what I normally carry day to day. I could use the ivory Madison, but I have two other ones.... Just too many to use and I really have no desire just to dig into the pile to try something new if I'm already satisfied. The regular carry changes are slow in coming.

It's the fixed blades that see so little action. But I love them!

Lately I just carry a Spyderco Manix, a LeatherMan Squirt and a small fixed blade I made.

I hav 26 traditionals and 7 moderns that are in cubbies and notnot tossed into the ol' box-o-junk.
These are my accumulation of users and they all see some carry / use, it may be a full week at a time or for a few usually just a weekend but they all get some use.

I'm really new here but I really like this forum. My edc is a swiss army centurian in a benchmade cloth belt case, been with this knife for about 12 years. This case keeps it close to the body and I don't hit doorway sides or have the cased knife get in the way. Also have a swiss army really small metal sided dual bladed knife for opening mail and such. Had it for a long time too but I can't remember the name of the knife. Also take a Benchmade Casbah auto along sometimes.
Secretary probably.

Edit: there was some confusion.
I was saying the Victorinox knife you don't know the name of sounded like the secretary, but you said really small so that would be the 58mm pocket pal.

Last edited:
Spyderco Endura FFG, Victorinox Compact and A.G Russell Serpentine Stockman.
dgC9OW9.jpg

Cs mini ak47,endurance super blue/hap40/v-toku,Gerber ez-out, Wenger sak,manly d2/s90v,cs voyager.lcp japan made.....

I use all of them (over 25ish). I don't have any safe queens at any price level. I wouldn't buy a knife just for "collecting" and not use, although I do consider myself a collector. I use them all because each of them brings me joy in some fashion. If I buy a knife and find I don't like it, for whatever reason, it gets moved on quickly which has the added benefit of retaining most of its value. Everything else pretty much stays put.

My Manix 2 lives in my pocket. So much so that all my jeans have a wear mark on the pocket matching the clip. Sure, I'll occasionally rotate another folder in, but after a day or two, the Spydie makes itself right at home again.

I can’t answer for him but I am similar in that most knives if I buy them will carry them eventually. There are knives that I buy that incidentally get put in my pocket once and then put away and never used. But its not to hold value in them, that is purely incidental. I don’t consider knives an investment.

As for what I carry most days it is usual that for some reason I will gravitate towards a certain folder for about a month or two. Then suddenly I will see a video or post or something that reminds me, “I really want to carry my CRK,” or any other knife. Then I pull that knife out and carry that for about a month.

However I am usually rotating through a group of favourite knives. Lately my 3 favourites have been my Spydie Southard, Kizer Feist and Shamwari. These three have kind of taken over.

If you look at my profile pic those three knives get carried alot. Although the small 21 may be getting lonely.... haven’t carried her for a while.
May not have wanted to answer for me but we are pretty much in the same boat. Lol

I usually find a knife that I really like and carry it for a year or so then start looking for something else. Here lately I've been on a big Buck knife kick. Bought a 112 drop point in 5160 and carried it for a few months until I ran across an older 112 at a flea market. It's got a 1992 date stamp and real ebony scales. Been used and the bolsters show some battle scars. I've pretty much rotated those two 112s for the past few years. I actually like the 1992 knife better even though the drop point 5160 is a better hard use knife. I'm a general contractor, do some hobby farming, and run a small ebay business. My knives get used for everything from stripping wire to cutting down boxes and opening feed bags.

About 6 months ago I picked up a Buck 284 Bantam and have been carrying that as well. It's nice to have a small dedicated blade that's kept razor sharp for all the tasks that pop up requiring a "clean" knife.

In the past I've carried everything in no particular order: Buck, Boker and Case stockman patterns, Kershaw Leek, Sodbuster patterns both large and small from Case and Robert Klass, SOG Flash II, Gerber Fast Draw, several Kershaw patterns I can remember the names of, Buck Vantage, Buck 285 Bantam, Benchmade Griptilian, Opinel 6, 7, and 8, and a few others I'm forgetting.

Lately I've been carrying a Victorinox Classic in my left front pocket and a USA made Schrade 108OT in my right front pocket. My daily carry knives are getting smaller.

While on my morning dog walks at the lake or when doing yard work i add a Buck 110 to my belt.

Back