1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What knives do you actually use day to day?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by 22-rimfire, Jun 29, 2018.

1. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    If I own the knife, I use it. I see no point in buying a knife just to leave it sitting in a drawer unused.

2. smilk327

smilk327

Apr 14, 2016
    Love this knife. So underrated. Some recognize it but few give it the pocket time it deserves. Size wise it’s a cheap Bugout. Then the lock and blade steel come into play and we’ll yeah it’s $20 for a reason but it’s well spent by anyone.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  3. Ironbut

Ironbut Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 1, 2016
    All my knives were bought as users, but these two always end up back in my pocket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    There is a tremendous amount of utility in the Kabar Dozier folding hunter. Would you be happier if it was $40? ;)

5. ChazzyP

ChazzyP Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 27, 2014
    Interesting thread....

I'm with @smilk327 , @Lapedog , and @Hackenslash in my attitude regarding knives in my collection. I'm not into collecting to hold value or make money. I view at my knives as well-made tools and love the look of them, the feel in hand, and how well they're made. Much like my carpentry tools-of-the-trade, their beauty is in their usefulness.

I was shocked when counting a while back to find I'd gotten up to a hundred and started to re-think what I'd hold onto. My knives fall into three categories--work users, light users (EDCs), and drawer queens. There are also some that I "collect" and really don't much use simply because I have a fondness for the model--Tenacious, as that was my gateway knife--or series--all the Sages--and I'll likely keep those, but I've been slowly trying to divest myself of drawer queens. I recently sold a one-of-a-kind Shiro that I couldn't bear to use to purchase another, higher-end Shiro that will be a user. I've also sold off some lower-value knives that just never got carried even though I kinda liked them.

My work users include several Spyderco Millies, PM2, Superleaf, Delica/Endura for their bright colors in the woods, my original Tenacious (beater); Benchmade 710s, Strykers, AFCK, TSEK, Barrage, Grips; CRKs--a couple 21s and 25s; ZTs 0452, 0909, 0562; RHK MP1 and XM18 3.5; Shiro F95T and Hati. There's no doubt a few more. I keep these all very sharp and in good working order.

EDC/light carry also include Spydies, BMKs, CRKs, RHKs, Shiros, lionSTEELs, an Olamic 247, a Cheburkov Scout, and several others that I'll use but don't want to scratch or mark up. Just ones I use but want to keep nice.

I generally carry a smaller, more non-knife-knut-friendly blade in the bottom of my left front. I'm not much into traditionals, but it's often something like a SAK Electrician, BMK Proper, or lionSTEEL Euro-Barlow. Maybe a smaller, companion modern folder like a 705 with a 710. It's kinda funny, because my most frequently carried knife is probably my worst knife--my second-carry work beater in the bottom of my left front--my old Buck Adrenalin, twice broken off, liner-lock all the way across, blade finish removed, and handle finish worn away. It gets used for all sorts of knife abuse like pulling staples, cutting sandpaper, scraping glue, etc. Here it is with perhaps my most carried and favorite work user....

[​IMG]

DRLyman, RebelSon and paulhilborn like this.
  6. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    What ever knife I have in my pocket that day! That's what I do.

7. JBoone

JBoone

Dec 30, 2012
    Always have a SAK classic on my keychain.

Have a desk job and carry smaller knives that can drop into front pocket for work but often don’t take one to work at all (the SAK will open envelopes and boxes of copier paper fine)

My only new in box knife is a CF M4 para 2 and is only in that condition because it is a duplicate (I will press it into service if I loose my other one).

I find myself carrying either the M4 PM2 or the new cruewear PM2 exclusively while not in the office lately. The delica FFG was my go to for the last couple of years but I am on a PM 2 kick these days for some reason (owned a PM2 for several years but preferred the size and weight of the delica). I have several others all of which are users but the above is what gets the bulk of carry these days.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. rogatsby

rogatsby

Jun 19, 2018
    Of course not, lol. I was just pointing out that it's an amazing knife for 20 bucks. The Dozier is so sweet though. The AUS8 steel seems to be ridiculed a lot but I haven't noticed any big issues.

9. John_B

John_B

Mar 27, 2003
    SAK Classic. Trim my mustache everyday at my desk. Sheep in the office it see all the time and mostly don't panic. Except for that one lady from California. Jesus everything scares her.

RebelSon, Prester John and P2P like this.
  10. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    All of my knives, which consist of CRK’s and Spydercos. The CRK’s see the most pocket time right now day in and day out. The Sebenza and Inkosi are great users. Nothing like them. My Spydercos don’t get carried to often anymore other then winter time because they are the easiest to open with gloves on.

11. Dean51

Dean51 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2014
    My primary RFP knife is a slip joint, the GEC #35 when the mood strikes me but by far the Lionsteel barlows get carried the most.
    Second knife is a sheath carry the R2-D2, Ritter mini grip and now the Manly wasp. Sometimes the modern will be unseated by a GEC #43.
    S90v is new to me and I said I would carry the Wasp until it needed sharpening. I think it's going to be the primary second knife for a while.

12. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Very sound MO. A seasoned knife person !

I am curiuos about the Carter knives :
    Were you happy with the level of sharpness when they arrived (assuning you bought them new) ?
    and
    Do you sharpen them the same way he does going for a toothy edge that you test for using your finger tips ?
    Photos would be very interesting to me, I don't see enough photos of his knives here.
    Thanks

13. AntCaps

AntCaps Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2009
    if im not at work im carrying an Emerson mini roadhouse, if at work a mora.

14. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    The Street Beat has been calling to me strongly. I don't really need a self defense knife (knock on wood) . . . even the aggressive unsocialized dogs (and their idiot owners) have completely disappeared from the bike path . . . still . . . it's a cool, useful looking knife.

Buy her a Street Beat for Christmas. Perhaps she will feel less afraid if she is armed. Looks like a good letter opener at the very least. :)

15. Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    That Nirvana is a lovely thing isn't it ! ! !
    What a knife !

marcus52AR likes this.
  16. Puleio

Puleio

Jun 2, 2014
    I kept hearing such good things about it just as an EDC fixed blade, which is why I got it, not because it was designed to be a self defense knife.
    For EDC tasks, it has been working well so far. And it does look good when its out doing work. :~)

Enjoy.

17. Old Biker

Old Biker

Sep 25, 2016
    These are what I carry most days.

[​IMG]

The JK Mighty Mouse is my rough use knife. I can pry a staple up in a board without worry that I might break the tip. It goes in the back corner of my left front pocket.
    The Swiss Champ I carry for it's tools. It goes in my left front pocket.
    The Boker carver congress is sharpened for whittling, so is the sharpest of the bunch. I use it when I want a real sharp knife. It goes in my right front pocket.
    The Buck 110 rides in it's sheath on my right hip. It's used when I need a little longer blade. Or just general use when, I don't feel like digging into a pocket for one of the others. Because it's on my belt it is easier to get at and open. Even with gloves on, I can usually get it out and opened one handed.

No I don't need to carry 4 knives. I got along just fine for over half my life with just the Buck and the SAK. But I can carry 4 knives, so I do.

O.B.

18. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I know what you mean. Was stopped at the entrance to a hockey rink because my daughter and I had knives on us we had to take back to the car. I only had one; my daughter had two or three. When I told this story to a co-worker (from Washington--I'm in Texas), she was horrified that my daughter carried knives!

19. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Carry a TRM Viator for work and ZT0770CFM4 for leisure , both users.

20. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    I carry them all and I use them all, funny thing, when you don't abuse or beat on your knives they last forever.

I always have a Sebenza on me. Ever since wanting one for over 25 years and only in the last 5 have I owned one and now have four. One and sometimes two is frequently in my pocket. when I carry two it's always a large and a small. I prefer the the plain Janes for EDC but do enjoy the inlays and graphics.

My current stable of Sebenzas include a small plain Jane 21, my current favorite and the one seein' the most use and pocket time a large plain Jane 25, then the large 21 with the Gabon Ebony inlays and finally the small CGG 21 with the Diamond Plate graphics, this one holds a special place in my heart. It's my Birthday Benza and a member here had it and saw I was lookin' for my birthday. He trades it to me for another knife I had. Thanks Anthony ;) :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

you'll also find me with a custom or two in my pocket. Always have my Bud Nealy Custom Aikuchi in O1 I bought at the first big show on the East Coast Custom Knife Show (ECCKS) back in 1990.

[​IMG]

and as of late the JD Lanny's Clip I recently won from the Blade Show last year.

[​IMG]

Then there's the pair in the leather slip sheath. A Lone Wolf/Loveless City Knife.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The 2015 Canal Street Cutlery's last production knife, the 2015 Traditional Forum's SFO Annual knife is usually it's companion in the sheath with the City Knife.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are many more combinations I carry depending on the circumstances. You can always rest assured that I have a modern high end modern locking folder and a vintage traditional slipjoint too. Hope I answered your question.