What knives do you own in the $150-300 range that you feel are worth every penny?

Lets take today's carry as an example. Its an A Purvis Progeny V2, Blue and black carbon fiber, two tone blade. Is it worth $260? Probably not. Why buy it then? Well, it has a combination of features that I highly value and are difficult to find. Light weight, non-metal handle, wharncliffe-ish blade, flipper, premium steel. So, being CF and M390, that automatically raises the price. The scarcity of a knife with these attributes raises the cost of entry. For these reasons, it was worth it. However, being made in China, and in that I had to disassemble, thoroughly clean, lube, and STILL break in the action, all were to the detriment of its perceived value.

It is now a tremendous flipper, the ergos are excellent, and it meets my wants more than any other knife on the market. If it were a drop point or other blade shape, I probably would have returned it.

The other issue with this thread I have is the products prices are ever changing. I paid $145 for my Spyderco Gayle Bradley in 2013, so therefore wouldn't apply. Many of my blades in today's prices would apply. Would I pay $200 for a GB1? Probably not. My PM2 was sub-$150 when I got it in 2014. So its a very subjective topic.

I look at how much prices have increased in the last 12-15 years. Especially the last 6. Some may wonder why, claim price gouging, etc. Most of this is demand and the ability to charge more because of it. Starting in 2008, the political climate has been turned upside down, sidewise, and inverted. People started freaking out, and getting more into "survival" mode. Therefore more people got into the knife hobby. I believe the influx of new buyers allowed the companies to increase slightly more than needed because they new people would still buy their products.

This demand is especially evident in that there are so many new knife companies and/or production versions even since I joined the forums 8/2013. The PM2, Griptilian, and other "classics" remain popular, but as with many things, people want options. I think Spyderco was one of the first to exploit this with sprint runs, exotic steels, etc.

Ok enough rambling, TL;DR

I have no idea where the hell I was going with this. If you can make some semblance of sense from it, good. Anyone, todays $150 or $300 knife might not fit this 6 months from now. Ah we are all going to die anyway spend your money if you have it.

Last edited:
All of my knives with the exception of one are under $300. I’ve recently sold 46 knives out of my collection that I never carried or used. So I only have ones that I find are worth it to me.

Pena x-series front flippers. I've owned more of these than I have of any other knife model, and every single one has been flawless construction. Sometimes they go for kinda high prices, but when you can find one for under $300 they are IMHO a great value.

50646421011_2605adf272_k.jpg

Griptilian
Barrage
Violi
940 green anodized Osborne
The MIA mini Barrage

Everything else is out of range, some lower, some higher.

TRM neutron , atom, syderco manix2 Doug Ritter mini rsk , rsk . Benchmade 940 . Fixed blades esse pr 4 , jg 5 , Hess Tiburon, Busse ratmandu.
Any of these are worth the price and more .

3rds on the gaint mouse ace grand. Got mine off the exchange here. Detent is a touch stiff, but just a touch. It is super smooth though. Super comfortable in hand and you can spydie flick it.

Love my carbon fiber southern grind spider monkey also. Wife got it for me and the fit and finish are superb .

Just got a TRC south pole a couple weeks ago. No use yet but im happy with it. Fit and finish is amazing and I love the crowned spine.

Spyderco
Lionsteel
Viper
Zero Tolerance

Attachments

• B728F181-9154-4168-8CDC-FC232DC2DB26.jpeg
    B728F181-9154-4168-8CDC-FC232DC2DB26.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 44B0E1D4-96C3-43FB-8C33-CDE74CF5A072.jpeg
    44B0E1D4-96C3-43FB-8C33-CDE74CF5A072.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11
Benchmade Rift,
Benchmade Loco,
Benchmade Adamas,
Spyderco Shaman,
Spyderco Police,
Guardian Tactical Helix.

And all the Emersons I scored on Exchange for about this price.

Reactions: DMG
Spyderco Smock, my favorite knife to carry and to use.
Almost always what I want to have in my pocket.

I think everything in Maxamet and S110V from Spyderco is worth it, in Rex45 even more so.
And like others already wrote: GB2, Swayback, Hogue RSK.

I would add the standard Native Chief, the new Police LW K390 and the Caribbean.

Back