Photos What knives would you take on a road trip

k6deOxw.jpg

I used the proponent to open pesky soap packets at our cabin today. The Sak did its usual apple peeling and the bk2 stayed in the glove box.
tD5Kale.jpg

Ontario Utilitac (always in the car)

If beach: Dragonfly H1 & Siren
Otherwise: Dragonfly Warnie & Real Steel Megalodon 2017 Ti
There is someone here on BF that is a big fan of the
Utilitac series. Who is it?

You don’t hear much about those knives anymore.
They are a fine series of budget knives. Don’t know why they are not more popular.

There is someone here on BF that is a big fan of the
Utilitac series. Who is it?

You don’t hear much about those knives anymore.
They are a fine series of budget knives. Don’t know why they are not more popular.

Quiet & craytab seem to be fans IIRC.

Before I was forced to retire (I couldn't pass the DOT physical anymore. Blood Pressure was a bit high.) I drove an Expedited Box Truck coast to coast and to points in between, for a bit over 4.5 years. I visited all of the "lower 48" states, plus DC, and the NYC Metro are more than once in the truck.

My regular carry knives were a 4 blade "Scout/Camp" knife or a 3 layer SAK Huntsman on a 30 inch SAK lanyard, a "large" 3 7/8 to 4 inch closed stockman, a (Taylor Brands) Old Timer 7OT (my Schrade USA 7OT was in my desk, in Idaho), or for a little bit, a Uncle Henry LB7, which I wound up giving the truck owner. It was/is too much a major fingerprint and smudge magnet for me.
The company the truck was contracted to had: "As long as it isn't considered or marketed as a "weapon", you can carry it." as their written knife policy. (so no "Krambts" (spelling?), butterfly knives, switch blades (those last two were illegal in a lot of places I went at the time anyway), or Cold Steel knives - pretty much all of which are marketed as a "weapon".)

In the sleeper, but not carried, I had a cleaver, Chef's knife, and 3.5 inch blade Old Hickory paring knife, for food prep, and a couple Cold Steel machetes, and an old axe of unknown (by me) vintage and make, to break down the pallets the receiving shipping dock abandoned in the truck box, after removing the freight from them.
(you'd be surprised how often receiving docks leave old beat up wood pallets and how may of those pallets there are.)

Since retiring, I'm still regularly carrying a lockback (Buck 110 now, or have it in my rollator's tote/shopping bag)), stockman, and the 4 blade scout/camp knife. This week I also have a canoe pattern in my pocket, and a (BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint folding hunter on my belt.
Since retiring, I've discovered I really like the old school two blade slipjoint folding hunter pattern, and the moose pattern. (I carried a moose pattern and Buck 110 last week. This week's carry is a little different. A scout/camp knife and a stockman are a constant though.)

Before I was forced to retire (I couldn't pass the DOT physical anymore. Blood Pressure was a bit high.) I drove an Expedited Box Truck coast to coast and to points in between, for a bit over 4.5 years. I visited all of the "lower 48" states, plus DC, and the NYC Metro are more than once in the truck.

My regular carry knives were a 4 blade "Scout/Camp" knife or a 3 layer SAK Huntsman on a 30 inch SAK lanyard, a "large" 3 7/8 to 4 inch closed stockman, a (Taylor Brands) Old Timer 7OT (my Schrade USA 7OT was in my desk, in Idaho), or for a little bit, a Uncle Henry LB7, which I wound up giving the truck owner. It was/is too much a major fingerprint and smudge magnet for me.
The company the truck was contracted to had: "As long as it isn't considered or marketed as a "weapon", you can carry it." as their written knife policy. (so no "Krambts" (spelling?), butterfly knives, switch blades (those last two were illegal in a lot of places I went at the time anyway), or Cold Steel knives - pretty much all of which are marketed as a "weapon".)

In the sleeper, but not carried, I had a cleaver, Chef's knife, and 3.5 inch blade Old Hickory paring knife, for food prep, and a couple Cold Steel machetes, and an old axe of unknown (by me) vintage and make, to break down the pallets the receiving shipping dock abandoned in the truck box, after removing the freight from them.
(you'd be surprised how often receiving docks leave old beat up wood pallets and how may of those pallets there are.)

Since retiring, I'm still regularly carrying a lockback (Buck 110 now, or have it in my rollator's tote/shopping bag)), stockman, and the 4 blade scout/camp knife. This week I also have a canoe pattern in my pocket, and a (BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint folding hunter on my belt.
Since retiring, I've discovered I really like the old school two blade slipjoint folding hunter pattern, and the moose pattern. (I carried a moose pattern and Buck 110 last week. This week's carry is a little different. A scout/camp knife and a stockman are a constant though.)
Sounds like have extensive road trip experience :thumbsup::thumbsup:

....Since retiring, I'm still regularly carrying a lockback (Buck 110 now, or have it in my rollator's tote/shopping bag)), stockman, and the 4 blade scout/camp knife. This week I also have a canoe pattern in my pocket, and a (BTI) Old Timer 25OT two blade slipjoint folding hunter on my belt.
I like that Schrade too. I have a long history using one. But for the most part, it's a little big for me to carry normally these days. Always preferred it over the Buck 110 (mostly because it had two blades and carried the same). You definitely have a lot of road experience and pretty much know what you need.

I've thought about picking up a Benchmade Tactical Triage for road trips (or even the Outlast), but other knife wants always end up coming first. Besides, I already have a few Benchmade rescue hooks stashed throughout my vehicles. I also keep a BK9 in my rides, as well as a SAK rescue tool. Not to mention my daily carry pack goes with me when I leave the house; which has another rescue hook, Freek, Spydiechef for any food needs, plus a fixed blade.

Beyond that, my carry really just depends on what activity I'm doing on the road trip or the destination. Typically it would be a modern folder, slipjoint, SE Dragonfly, and my Swisstool which I carry daily.

J0FAYCj.jpg

P7cXqOj.jpg

I've thought about picking up a Benchmade Tactical Triage for road trips (or even the Outlast), but other knife wants always end up coming first. Besides, I already have a few Benchmade rescue hooks stashed throughout my vehicles. I also keep a BK9 in my rides, as well as a SAK rescue tool. Not to mention my daily carry pack goes with me when I leave the house; which has another rescue hook, Freek, Spydiechef for any food needs, plus a fixed blade.

Beyond that, my carry really just depends on what activity I'm doing on the road trip or the destination. Typically it would be a modern folder, slipjoint, SE Dragonfly, and my Swisstool which I carry daily.

J0FAYCj.jpg

P7cXqOj.jpg
I have to ask, what Maxpedition model is that?

What kind of trip? For a non-specific trip, like visiting friends or relatives socially at a distant location, I usually pack a SAK, a Tony Bose slip joint, and a modern knife (Microtech, Spyderco...)

I have to ask, what Maxpedition model is that?

The sling pack is actually made by Oakley, model name "Extractor". The backing on the inside lined with Velcro an I've fitted it with organizers from a few different brands. I think the Maxpediton part was originally intended as a mag holder. The phone holder on the outside is also attached via velcro

I've had this bag for 4-5 years now and it has served me well. The gear nut in me has caused me to search for alternatives from time to time, but I can't find anything that fits my needs as well as this one does (there's now a 2.0 version but I like the first gen better for me). It holds everything I could ever need (from bit sets and batteries to hot sauce and a salt/pepper grinder) and keeps it all in reach when I'm in my ride, while still being fairly compact. It goes with me whenever I leave the house. I even just keep my house key on the strap with a keybak system so I can use it without ever needing to remove it. This pack makes it easy for me to just grab it and go when I need to leave the house, without searching for anything or worrying if I forgot something.

ghQ3yU0.jpg

I’d take a strider SnG or SMF - along with an opinel no. 8 for food. Along with that I’d take a larger fixed to leave in my vehicle just incase a task needs a bigger blade. That should just about cover any task that comes along.

Most of my road trips that have an overnight component are taken in my Pleasure Way Traverse camping van. I keep two daypacks in it along with light kitchen gear and a couple of standalone items. As far as edges go - I always have a SAK Executive in my pocket and either a Bugout 535BK2 or Mini-Presidio clipped to my opposite pocket. In the van's console, I have a Leatherman Wave and SAK Champ +. The "kitchen knife" is one of my old Buck 501's. In the packs, the large one has a Fallkniven F1 and a Farmer and the small one has just a Farmer. In the back, I carry a small Wetterlings axe. I also keep an old Gerber sliding pruning saw in the large daypack. All that said, most of the time, all I normally use is the Executive or Buck 501 for food prep.

Most all of my trips are in the mountain west as I live in Idaho, so, other than my state - WA, OR, MT, WY, UT, NV, NM. I don't carry big choppers as there is no use for them IMO. But I always have a couple of firearms.

BTW, OP, you should encourage your kids to eat the whole apple, peel and all. Far more nutrients.

Back