1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Photos What knives would you take on a road trip

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by sonofwilfred, Jul 11, 2020.

1. shortwinger

shortwinger Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Have you seen the streets of America lately? The Amazon would be like a picnic compared to going into the average city after dark.

2. sgt244

sgt244 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2010
    LMFAO!!! You got me there...... well played sir.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  3. sonofwilfred

sonofwilfred Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 23, 2015
    That's a great setup

Knives&Lint likes this.
  4. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Where I'm from there's alot of fumigation chemical on the skin and peeling them is easier then washing them on the road. But I fully agree with you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Opal fields of the north west of my state
    [​IMG]

JerseyFresh85 and 315 like this.
  6. rexromic

rexromic Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2011
    Large Sebenza and Fallkniven F1.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  7. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    If it’s that bad, 13+1 .45acp takes up a lot less space

[​IMG]

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    That's a nice shot of the Toyota. I watch that Discovery Channel TV show on gold mining and opal digging/mining in Australia often. I find it amazing that you can find a fair amount of nugget gold with a metal detector. I think if I lived there, this is something I might give a try just for the fun of it and hope that I at least break even on expenses. I suspect there is a knack to being even marginally successful.

You mentioned "peeling skin".... not sure I understand that unless it's due to sun burn. Are chemicals routinely sprayed over big areas?

It is generally one or two people on my road trips, most frequently just me.... I drive a Toyota pickup and so far it has done well and has been dependable. I keep a locked box in the bed that contains all sorts of emergency road accessories either for myself or to help someone else out. I need to add a medium sized fire extinguisher to the mix, but it needs to be in a relatively handy spot where I know precisely where it is. So much of my stuff simply gets buried and in an emergency I would have trouble finding it quickly even if I knew I had it with me. I could even carry a really big knife or axe if I wanted to. I do keep what I consider a pretty good chopping machete with me.

Do you have to haul spare gasoline with you just in case when out in the boonies?

sonofwilfred likes this.
  9. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Last question first, I should have brought fuel with me simply because in White Cliffs, the opal town, fuel was $1.78 a litre!
    A quick conversion is $4.55 American dollars a gallon. Otherwise these days there's fuel within range of most cars. We can do 720km (447 miles) to a tank of fuel. If covid allowed us to leave our state yes petrol would need to be taken with us 100%
    Now where I live it's an agricultural area that grows alot of fruit and nuts and to protect our export markets we need to be extremely careful about pests and disease, so any fruit brought in has to be unripe and fumigated. Then its left to ripen inside our protection zone. It's not ideal but we can't afford to let pests in. So it's advised that we clean the pesticide chemical off fruit before eating. So I peel the skin (outer red layer) off the apple with my knife because it's quick and easy. I hope this answers your questions mate.
    Until age 30 I thought bananas were ment to be crunchy like an apple because I have never eaten a properly ripened banana
    Dan
    [​IMG]

MolokaiRider, JerseyFresh85 and 315 like this.
  10. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Oh and thankyou for the compliment on my photo, I enjoy photography and I appreciate people commenting.
    Dan

11. sabre cat

sabre cat Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Most people have never eaten a banana fully ripe. When they are exported, they are picked green and then chemicals are used.

They are delicious when you can get them straight from the tree.

Lee D, sonofwilfred and Chronovore like this.
  12. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    That seems true for a lot of fruit. Yes, you can get a good one at the store or ripened at home. You can get a great one off the plant if you're in the right place at the right time. We just harvested some local wild raspberries. :)

sabre cat and sonofwilfred like this.
  13. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    I to
    Totally agree with you mate :thumbsup:

14. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    I used the Phillips screwdriver to tighten up the hotel cupboard door handle. I could have got the staff to do it but why not take an opportunity to use my knife. I haven't used the BK2 yet but I haven't done any camping yet either, its ready to go in the glove box. The proponent has just opened a few packets of lollies and served as a bit of a confidence booster in unknown parts of towns.[​IMG]
    This photo is at dawn from the top of an open cut mine in Broken Hill NSW.

315, Chronovore and MolokaiRider like this.
  15. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    We just got home from our 3600km (2230 miles) road trip, and the Swiss Champ handled everything I needed to do. I'm glad I took the proponent and BK2 but I didn't really need them.
    Next road trip I will probably bring the same knives. [​IMG]

civtamayo and 315 like this.
  16. Zulus

Zulus Gold Member Gold Member

May 29, 2020
    Actually - NONE !
    Such things are banned, on planes, on borders,
    and that's just beginning ...
    Ihre Papiere Bitte !

17. Zerobladeplay

Zerobladeplay

Sep 13, 2019
    Funny seeing this thread as I've been thinking of this lately. My last toad trip to the Grand Canyon I took the endura 4. This year it will probably be between the Socom elite, pm2 or recon 1. Hmmm...

sonofwilfred likes this.
  18. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    All fine knives. I'm sure which ever you pick, it will be the right choice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Zerobladeplay likes this.
  19. Inusuit

Inusuit

Dec 24, 2017
    Wouldn't change much from my EDC: Leatherman Juice CS4 and a Spyderco Endura. Probably throw a RAT RC3 and an Opinel #9 in the day pack.

sonofwilfred likes this.
  20. sonofwilfred

Jul 23, 2015
    Yes I found my EDC was well suited.
    You have a good selection