What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Recently purchased the I*XL Wostenholm "Presentation Grade" barlow made in Japan. Upon receiving it, I was saying to myself, "this looks and feels like a Parker"...so I pulled out my stash and definitely Parker'esque. 😄

It's interesting to see many knife manufacturers rebranding their knives with other knife company brands...

qDH6HH7.jpg

Huh. I didn't know Parker made I*XL at some point.

He licensed the IXL mark from a short-lived outfit called Meteor Industries, who picked up several old Sheffield marks after Richards went bust. I find it an absolutely shameful business, but they're an interesting piece of cutlery history, and quite collectible I think. Not just typically Parker, but typical of many Japanese folders, made for the Western market, during that period :thumbsup:

9olTH0l.jpg

Recently purchased the I*XL Wostenholm "Presentation Grade" barlow made in Japan. Upon receiving it, I was saying to myself, "this looks and feels like a Parker"...so I pulled out my stash and definitely Parker'esque. 😄

It's interesting to see many knife manufacturers rebranding their knives with other knife company brands...

qDH6HH7.jpg
Great looking barlows, I have a Parker just like that one. I also have an I*XL made in England. This subject came up once before that I can remember but I can't remember which thread. While looking at pics of the Parker/Japanese I*XL barlows compared to my English made one and pics of others I noticed something. On the Japanese ones the asterisk has 6 points, on the English they have 5. Not sure if that is consistent but if it is, it could help identify them say if someone was looking at pics on an auction site.

Back