What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

He knows what makes a good traditional .. mushroom 🤣

51651363196_698b08efc7_c.jpg

Â
In training to be a truffle-hound!! 😋
Nice picture!!

Could any of you fine Barlow aficionados do me a favor? I've looked but haven't been able to find the length of the GEC #14 Lick Creek Barlow blades. I can find the closed measurement of 3", but haven't seen the blade meausrement. (I'm probably looking in the wrong places.) If anyone could measure from the bolster to the tip like this, I'd appreciate it. Don't need a photo, just a length for the spear and clip.
<pic snipped, question answered>

And I still think the Boker Barlow Expedition is a nice modern Barlow. A bolster stamp or etch would be better than the inlet shield IMHO, but I still like them. Still my favorite of the ones I currently own. (I like this version so well I have two... 🤓)
original.jpg

Last edited:
Looked it up on BHQ, 2.325”

I'm not really familiar with GEC - with the Boy's Knife also being the #14 pattern, blades would be the same length, right?

edit - Thanks. Finally found an old sale page on another site with blade measurements.

Last edited:
And I still think the Boker Barlow Expedition is a nice modern Barlow. A bolster stamp or etch would be better than the inlet shield, but I still like them. Still my favorite of the ones I currently own. (I like this version so well I have two... 🤓)
original.jpg
Gordon, that knife just looks better and better each time you post it. I need to carry mine more so it will begin to look as good as yours. 😎👍

Gordon, that knife just looks better and better each time you post it. I need to carry mine more so it will begin to look as good as yours. 😎👍

Thanks - the other one has some hue change to the bolster, almost like heated metal. I'll try and grab a shot that shows the colors next time I post a pic in this thread.

Recently purchased the I*XL Wostenholm "Presentation Grade" barlow made in Japan. Upon receiving it, I was saying to myself, "this looks and feels like a Parker"...so I pulled out my stash and definitely Parker'esque. 😄

It's interesting to see many knife manufacturers rebranding their knives with other knife company brands...

qDH6HH7.jpg

Recently purchased the I*XL Wostenholm "Presentation Grade" barlow made in Japan. Upon receiving it, I was saying to myself, "this looks and feels like a Parker"...so I pulled out my stash and definitely Parker'esque. 😄

It's interesting to see many knife manufacturers rebranding their knives with other knife company brands...

qDH6HH7.jpg
Huh. I didn't know Parker made I*XL at some point.

Back