What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

I bought a stockman in this series to check out and was impressed with F&F.

I saw this little barlow pop up and thought for £22 I would have a look at it. Its the best saw cut bone I have seen and I love the rich colours. Half stop is perfect, centering is good and shaving sharp. Whats not to like? I dont know how they turn them out for that money.

Queen Barlow.jpg

Last edited:
Recent add...

Y6UbdIK.jpg

I was looking for my Case Barlow (I have two, an old clip/pen and a new single spear), and got distracted sharpening a Utica I forgot about. Unusual in being marked Utica instead of Kutmaster.

It looks like the new Barlows are selling well for Case.

Anyway, what I want is a granddaddy Barlow with a clip main and a secondary pen. Has such a varmint ever existed?

I was looking for my Case Barlow (I have two, an old clip/pen and a new single spear), and got distracted sharpening a Utica I forgot about. Unusual in being marked Utica instead of Kutmaster.

Not really, the older ones are all marker Utica. I can't remember the year they switched to Kutmaster but I think was in the early 50's

I decided to finally put my 6332 away. This thread inspired me to get my 1970 Case Barlow out 😝 It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. So, it was obtained for very little.

There's a thread somewhere on here of before and afters. In particular, there was a good amount of blade play that I tightened up in a vise. I peened the pin and sanded flush, but was never able to get it to fully "disappear" even though they cannot be seen in this picture. These older Case barlows are quite snappy! My only 10 pull is a 1980 Appaloosa Case Barlow. The pen in particular nearly needs pliers to open and I always get nervous opening it by hand.

There were some very rough file marks on the main blade, too. I thinned things out behind the edge a bit to remove them, which is why it looks the way it does. The actual bevel is hard to see in this light.

hz1Tn6N.jpeg

I decided to finally put my 6332 away. This thread inspired me to get my 1970 Case Barlow out 😝 It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. So, it was obtained for very little.

There's a thread somewhere on here of before and afters. In particular, there was a good amount of blade play that I tightened up in a vise. I peened the pin and sanded flush, but was never able to get it to fully "disappear" even though they cannot be seen in this picture. These older Case barlows are quite snappy! My only 10 pull is a 1980 Appaloosa Case Barlow. The pen in particular nearly needs pliers to open and I always get nervous opening it by hand.

There were some very rough file marks on the main blade, too. I thinned things out behind the edge a bit to remove them, which is why it looks the way it does. The actual bevel is hard to see in this light.

hz1Tn6N.jpeg
Nice save!

Thank you very much! It is one that I'm happy shows its age, is to an extent uniquely my own, and one I'm proud to carry!
As I watch this one age, I too am proud of it!! I wonder what it will look like when one of my descendants decides to carry it???(I hope!!)
Been carrying Old Boiley, off and on, since Dec. 2012!!!!Boiley in Feb 4.jpg
It's gathered a few scars - albeit minor!!

hz1Tn6N.jpeg
Love those unadulterated knives! 👍🏻

Back