What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

Arrived yesterday and my second #15 Barlow. Soup Bone single clip point. I've been wanting one of these ever since I saw them for the first time, and I want to thank Charlie for it. I love it.

IMG_0859_zpsd8ebb395.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One more thing I wanted to add was I didn't know the soup bone was a saw cut and it is a very nice surprise. You can't pick it up on the picture but it's there. :thumbup:

Nice line-up of Charlows. Mine hasn't left my pocket or been out of arm's reach since it arrived. I absolutely love this AB with spey.

Matching covers! I got the Grandaddy about a year ago then the search was on for his missing grandson. Oddly the little one is the older circa 1940-1954.
2aec08686a123866dfa79f54f99d7fce_zpsd81f10c8.jpg
[/IMG]
That weird little stubby thing is beautiful Jack.

Thanks Charlie. High praise indeed coming from you. I've spent many happy hours admiring your stellar collection.

Smooth Ivory Bone makes a beautiful, traditional Barlow.

Thanks Perry!!! :)

I did what I could,to no avail.

No worries, at all! I appreciate whatever you mean by that (and your kindness), but the only thing better than enjoying a pattern oneself is seeing that pattern shared and appreciated among good comrades. There are so many great knives to go 'round....

When I realized that that particular one-off(?) had made its way back home, as revealed in the above picture, I smiled. Still am smiling, in fact. :) I'm well-pleased with my local spawning of #25s, and love seeing others' enjoyment of the various WLSTs. Fun place, this. :thumbup:

Matching covers! I got the Grandaddy about a year ago then the search was on for his missing grandson. Oddly the little one is the older circa 1940-1954.
2aec08686a123866dfa79f54f99d7fce_zpsd81f10c8.jpg

Fantastic pairing, that. Well done!

Crimmus e'er nearer:

IMG_4100.jpg~original

~ P.

Barlow trivia:
---
http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/Barlow_knife.htm

Here's some extra information kindly provided by Kenneth Da Silva

Do you know that the small pocket stitched into the right hand pocket of Levi Jeans used to be called the Barlow pocket? This was a pocket actually intended to carry a folding pocket knife ( NOT a plastic butane lighter!). The barlow knife was the knife of choice for outdoor workers, as it was solid and dependable. I first heard about this Barlow pocket back in the late 1960s from a representative of F.G.Gertler, the original British importers of Levi jeans. The jeans were designed to be working trousers for rough farm and range use back in the 19th century, and the addition of this little pocket was useful for workers and riders. They could retrieve the knife without standing or having to dismount. At one point Levis also made artisans jeans for carpenters, builders etc, and these also had an additional long pocket down the lower outside seam of the leg designed to hold a folding wooden rule. The lower leg was used, as most workers rode horses, drove carts or climbed ladders and needed to be able to bend their leg easily. Back in the 60s, levis were so heavy duty and full of starch when new ( they were actually delivered in bales of 12 held by steel straps and cost the equivalent of £3 then) that we used to display them in the shop window standing up on their own, one only had to form the legs into tubes to achieve this! They shrunk enormously when washed, so one had to buy them at least one size larger to allow for this. So there we are, a little more history of the Barlow knife and also of workers clothing of the 19th century period. I still actually carry my Swiss Army Knife in this pocket today.

Interesting info and trivia ref the Barlow, thanks Jonathan. Thats the first I've heard the term "Barlow pocket", though I do in fact carry my TC Barlow in the watch pocket of my pants! :)

George Washington's personal Barlow would be fascinating to see!

Back