What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

The climax is coming soon, Mike. But why hurry? Good things are worth waiting for!
Meantime, here's a little foreplay!:eek:

Bolsters999.jpg

Isn't this TC the trademark for Thomson Center Arms? :rolleyes: I thought I had seen it on their rifles. And if not What does the TC stand for? :confused:

Dave

Dave, it's Tidioute Cutlery, now of course owned by GEC.
There are some people here who think it is their initials. And they are right of course.
I've always liked the fact that the Cripple Creek Barlow had MY initials on the Bolster!!
(see the first post)

Dave, it's Tidioute Cutlery, now of course owned by GEC.
There are some people here who think it is their initials. And they are right of course.
I've always liked the fact that the Cripple Creek Barlow had MY initials on the Bolster!!
(see the first post)

That was my guess (Tidioute, or Titusville). Will we be seeing an NC version as well?

I love the font.

~ P.

If GEC follows their usual custom, there will be a Northfield down the road!

If GEC follows their usual custom, there will be a Northfield down the road!

Let's hope there's a single blade version down the road as well. I like the proportions of the model, they look spot on.

- Christian

DSCN1540.jpg

Hurrah!

Looka that long pull on the spear blade. Is that a first for a Tidioute, or have there been others?

Very nice proportions. :thumbup:

~ P.

DSCN1540.jpg

Hurrah!

Looka that long pull on the spear blade. Is that a first for a Tidioute, or have there been others?

~ P.

Good question! I don't think so, but cue for somebody to unearth an ultra short run or sfo:D:thumbup:

The proportions are well judged indeed, the bolster superb. All it needs is some buttery old parchment colour sawn bone. Ram's horn could be a fine grippy handle too. I would also like o see this as single blade.

Just a kid, Dave! Got ya by 20 years!!
Spend wisely my son! In 20 years they will look cheap!!:D

Hey -thats what I say to my Mrs. when she dares to question me (this is done on a hourly basis on a range of topics btw).
Question for you-
Who was "Matt" ... and what the hell was he thinking?
I'm going back for more looks. see ya.

The only one that comes to mind is the Tidioute #36 Sunfish that were done with long pulls...........

Good question! I don't think so, but cue for somebody to unearth an ultra short run or sfo:D:thumbup:

The only one that comes to mind is the Tidioute #36 Sunfish that were done with long pulls...........

That didn't take long, now, did it? :)

(Thanks, Jim.)

willgoy said:
The proportions are well judged indeed, the bolster superb. All it needs is some buttery old parchment colour sawn bone.

Sounds good to me!

~ P.

Maybe it's a trick of my eye, or just a normal thing for an unfinished blade, but...is the spear slightly asymmetrical?
I'm not a fan of Barlow's, but I'm becoming a fan of Charlie :)

Fausto
:cool:

More upcoming specs;
There will be one and two blade versions. They will be all carbon steel including liners and bolsters.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions; and please keep them coming!
I am enjoying adding them to the discussions that are ongoing re: the specs.

They are looking doggone nice!!

More upcoming specs;
There will be one and two blade versions. They will be all carbon steel including liners and bolsters.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions; and please keep them coming!
I am enjoying adding them to the discussions that are ongoing re: the specs.

They are looking doggone nice!!

Do you mean the bolsters/liners will be the same steel as the blade or will they be using the same material as they used on their "All Steel" series and the Farm & Field line (125 low carbon cold rolled steel, from the bullnose work knife thread)??

Also, please tell me they're using steel pins too? :D

I'm getting excited here!

Is this the Huckleberry mentioned on the GEC site?

If so has an anticipated availability date been announced yet?

I can think of no better gift for my brothers this Christmas than a premium Barlow, they would be totally blown away. We all had a Barlow pocket knife at one time in our youth, it would be a real treat for us to all have one of these again to enjoy.

The Huckleberry is the Boys knife, and the Sawyer is the Barlow.
We're talking Traditional here, with a Capital "T"!!;)

Samuel Langhorne Clemens would be proud!:D

Yes Vic - low-carbon for the scales, like the all-steel series. The pins (pivots) will be steel, the rivets for the bone handles will be nickel, because they are to be hand peened. Steel rivets result in too many cracked handles.

The Huckleberry is the Boys knife, and the Sawyer is the Barlow.
We're talking Traditional here, with a Capital "T"!!;)

Samuel Langhorne Clemens would be proud!:D

Yes indeed! This sounds like Fundamental Traditional :D:D

Back