What Makes a Good, Traditional Barlow?

It's definitely a great tool :D:thumbsup:

45293242621_1e94118966_c.jpg

A

Wow!! I have looked up a few Youtube examples of the Berimbau and the music/rythmn produced.
I like your use of a basic Barlow to create that relatively basic (yet elegant!) instrument, A!!!
I am going to have to try one!! Gourds and string, sticks and stones - as elemental as a traditional pocket knife!! Way cool!!:thumbsup:

Received - nice old Case XX - as partial payment of a small debt. Nice pretty/soupy Bone, no cracks and loud snappy, flat-ground blades (read slicey), which need attention. Firm half-stops, just like I like them. Respectable patina. When I get the edges sorted, I suspect this will make a fine carry knife!
Case XX Red Patina 1.jpg Case XX Red Patina 3.jpg Case XX Red Patina 2.jpg Case XX Red Patina 4.jpg Case XX Red Patina 5.jpg
Handmade natural turquoise beads with a Navajo Cross; perfect for Sunday pix!!

Pfiuu as usual a very very nice knife with a strong identity , I'm jealous :D
A very nice combo with the beads.

A

Ps : the berimbau is a very simple instrument but pretty hard to play.
And its parts are a help to find. The string is not a simple piano or guitar string. It's the string which is used to strengthen the tires . The wood is from an amazonian tree called biriba. I have never found an equivalent in Europe. It has to be flexible and resistant at the same time. But as the Capoeira is practiced all over the world I'm sure that it is not so complicated to find a berimbau in America.

Received - nice old Case XX - as partial payment of a small debt. Nice pretty/soupy Bone, no cracks and loud snappy, flat-ground blades (read slicey), which need attention. Firm half-stops, just like I like them. Respectable patina. When I get the edges sorted, I suspect this will make a fine carry knife!
View attachment 1003323 View attachment 1003324 View attachment 1003325 View attachment 1003326 View attachment 1003328
Handmade natural turquoise beads with a Navajo Cross; perfect for Sunday pix!!
BEAUTIFUL Charlie, both beads/cross and a fine old Case:cool:

Hello ,
I would like to know how many version of the ancient has been made by GEC ?

If they are many could I see some pictures ?

A

Reaching back into the past, I thought I'd brew a little eye candy here, and ask a question!
Here is my collection of Ancient Barlows. If you have one with the soupbone handles, can you please send me a pic, or better yet, post it here?
Much obliged!!

View attachment 754034 View attachment 754035
Back on page 811 Charlie posted pics of all but one of the original release of Ancients.

Dave
Back on page 587 I posted all the Ancients from the 1st release!

Last edited:
Nice Group of ancients, John!!:eek:
I love those pictures!!:thumbsup:

Question for anyone - to go back 400 pages in this thread - is there a shortcut??
Or do you have to go back 2-3 pages at a time???o_O

Back