What multitool or SAK did you buy today

Fieldmaster coming in the mail today. (I'm posting this now so I don't forget. I'll try to get a picture later. Maybe I should do an "unboxing" video? :D )

It has arrived and is in my pocket!

50115851428_1572cafcf6_b.jpg

Two new sets in my collection: Stayglow Climber and Classic SD, and Alox Pioneer X, Cadet and a well used Classic SD.

Although it's nice having matching sets, I've been pairing the Stayglow Classic and Alox Cadet for a better mix of tools as a minimal EDC.

z7QRoRy.jpg

TrJ78PE.jpg

I found an unusual LM on that big auction site and put it on my watch list. I had pretty much forgotten about it, as it was priced much higher than I wanted to invest, when, out of the blue, I got a message that the seller had made me a lower offer. Just for the heck of it, I made an even lower counter offer and the dealer accepted!! It's a first generation silver-colored Super Tool, of which I already own several, but this one has the cap crimper pliers. Personally, I don't care for the cap crimper pliers, but I certainly don't mind adding this not-so-common variant to my collection. I'll post photos when I get it. T-A

A used Hardwood Spartan arrived yesterday, after nearly three months on a ship! It's in worse condition than described and I'm annoyed about yet another undeclared bent tip on the large blade. I've seen so much of this lately that I despair of previous users who abuse their knives in this way. It's beside the point that I can straighten them pretty well. That said, I didn't pay much for it and it was bought as a user anyway. The wooden scales are much classier than cellidor, age better IMO, and they feel better, too.

It's in worse condition than described and I'm annoyed about yet another undeclared bent tip on the large blade. I've seen so much of this lately that I despair of previous users who abuse their knives in this way. It's beside the point that I can straighten them pretty well.

How do you personally fix the tip? Considering my options on a couple used ones I bought. (Knowing full well the tip was already bent)

How do you personally fix the tip? Considering my options on a couple used ones I bought. (Knowing full well the tip was already bent)
With gentle, patient hammering on an anvil of some kind. Being relatively soft, Victorinox steel is nicely forgiving. I've used hard steel and very hard wood. I hold the blade at a slight angle so that the tip faces down and hammer the hump of the bend with the rounded edge of the hammer head until it's gone. A cross peen hammer is probably better - must buy one. Gotta take your time, can't emphasize that enough. I don't get factory perfection, but can get very close with the edge intact, probably unnoticeable to the untrained eye. Hammer marks are surprisingly minimal.

Twists are worse but can be repaired satisfactorily. I once spent a couple of hours, on and off, dealing with a bent and twisted blade. I think I worked the twist from the inside towards the tip.

Distortions on the edge can sometimes be reduced but are practically impossible to eliminate as the steel is stretched.

Last edited:
From that big auction site I purchased seven knives/multitools for one money. Three small Leathermans and four small/medium SAKs. If the USPS doesn't become totally defunct in the next days, I should have pictures to post soon. It's like Christmas in August! T-A

I bought a SAK issued to the Dutch armed forces. I was actually looking for an older model, as I've lost mine back in 2008 in the woods during an exercise. But I found the "new" model instead and liked it more over the older model I lost.

mVW1DgO.jpg

RDgBNUN.jpg

wuh2ylC.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo's, it's past midnight here but I couldn't wait to post pics.

From that big auction site I purchased seven knives/multitools for one money. Three small Leathermans and four small/medium SAKs. If the USPS doesn't become totally defunct in the next days, I should have pictures to post soon. It's like Christmas in August!
So here's what I got for my money:
JPEG_20200822_135156_3586662093501204557.jpg
My wife recently stole the blue LM SQUIRT PS4 from my collection. So now I have two replacements! And the SAKs are also welcome additions, especially the 91mm Compact in the lower right. Happy hunting! T-A

Just received my new Victorinox Recruit. It's a non-Chinese replacement for the vintage Kamp King pattern. Knife arrived in perfect condition, a couple of swipes on the strop and it's shaving sharp. I think this will replace my Buck Canoe as my EDC.

Back