What SPECIFICALLY in knife advertising annoys you?

I really like the "hardcore" knife advertising. Yes my EDC is for cutting tape, boxes, sammich's but I like to know I could pry a door open if I had to.

The stabbing a cow skull/pig stuff doesn't really appeal to me and gives knife folk a bad rep.

I actually enjoy watching the Cold Steel videos. I do really hate it when the manufacturer doesn't tell you the specs, though.

It's all bs and advertisement marketing hoop blah. A good knife will sale itself over and over agian. I really can't stand when the maker or manufacturer advertises something along the lines of " for today only" or "only a few left, don't let this opportunity pass you by" lol just cracks me up. I can't stand bad pictures and It seems like every picture I post of my knives are just terrible complete utter failure pictures lol. It really drives me insane.

The term "premium steel"...everything from 440 to VG-10 to AUS-8 to whatever is always "premium steel". I would hate to see what average steel looks like.

22-rimfire

Gold Member
More than anything else, not listing the country where the knife was "manufactured". But what does that mean? In some cases, the steel may come from one country and the knife is assembled in another.
The type of steel used is important to me.

The Bear Grylls's billboard makes me chuckle. Go for it! We all need a good laugh.
Generally most advertising of knives does not bother me in the least.

I dislike large logos on knives like SOG has done in recent years. It gets old after a while.

Any kind of "tactical" hype.

Lack of knife specifications.

Lack of pictures showing the pocket clip-side of the knife.

Flat-out wrong specifications. (The latest ads for the Columbia River Eraser says that it has a Tanto tip, when it is really a Wharncliffe.)

That entire line of browning cutlery, that was advertised as mall ninja weaponry irritated me. They advertised their tomahawk (with an absurd description btw) as a weapon, and marketed it accordingly; Tomahawk is one of the last good tools that's not specifically against the law in NYC; If advertisers try to take advantage of its "tacticool" weapon aspect, soon it will not be legal anywhere. Consequently, I will never buy from browning.

I hate when they don't tell you something extremely important, such as what the heat treat on the steel is run at.

So many people hate the word tactical, yea please keep denying the fact that many knives are first and foremost weapons. Why do you think things like IKBS, flippers, thimbstuds, teflon washers, spring assist etc. were invented ? So you could open your knife extremely fast to cut a piece of tape?

Please.

Oh and another thing, having a black blade or tactical design does not change the fact
anyone who is scared of knives will be afraid of a buck 110 just as much as a strider.

When a knife is advertised as "hard use" I hate it and all the CS bull crap "this lock can one mega-boogle-millian-bagillian pounds! you should buy so you should buy so you can stab it into a tree and use it as a ladder!!!!!"
I refuse to buy any type of knife that is advertised this way. Especially when knives are advertised as $500 folding pry-bars. I also hate how benchmade has these stupid names for all there locks, nack lock monolock, and what ever they call their lock backs.
I should also mention that "high carbon stainless steel" does'st mean anything.
This thread is a good stress relief :D

So many people hate the word tactical, yea please keep denying the fact that many knives are first and foremost weapons. Why do you think things like IKBS, flippers, thimbstuds, teflon washers, spring assist etc. were invented ? So you could open your knife extremely fast to cut a piece of tape?

Please.

Oh and another thing, having a black blade or tactical design does not change the fact
anyone who is scared of knives will be afraid of a buck 110 just as much as a strider.

Amen to that! And the same goes for locks - why does anyone need a locking blade to cut tape, string or open boxes? Anyone who believes that knife nazis will go away if only no one would ever advertise or even mention the use of a knife as a weapon should be perfectly content with a one inch serrated blade pakistani made slipjoint.

The Rockwell Hardness arms race
It's not all about having the highest Rockwell Hardness rating in your knife...

I don't like when they over hype a knife. I also can't stand writing on a blade. Or when you order a knife online and you don't get the same color as advertised when it mentions nothing of other colors. And my blade doesn't say microtech, simply mtech.

din

Gold Member
not enough female full frontal.

anything involving those opsgear douchers.

Think it was more like a plug than an advertisement. When Emerson said his knives were used by most or all SEAL team members when they killed Osama.

"Famous In The Worst Places"

rubs me the wrong way like Robert Pelton Young antics

"look how it still slices this tamato!" is a tamato hard to slice properly I don't get it.

eisman

Gold Member
The word "tactical". (I immediately think "Mall Ninja".)
Pictures at wierd angles to add emphasis.
The word "rare". One in a million is rare; limited editions of 100000 are not. Neither are 50 different series of the same thing with slight color or material changes. (That just makes me think the company needs to hire a purchasing manager who knows how to order enough materials to complete the whole run.)
The word "collectable". Gives me the impression it was never ment to be used.
Special "military commemoratives". Please...
Use of guys who have lost touch with reality as front men.
Grotesque pictures of monsters, zombies, mythical creatures, and other pre-pubescent fantasies.
Names that boarder on the absurd or stupid - "Zombie Master Vorpal Pig".

Basically anything that moves away from basic reality and facts and into the agressive full press marketing a slice of the industry seems to love.