What specs are major turn-offs?

I want to say tip down and combo or serrated edge,

But then I own exceptions of all of those.

I probably won’t buy assisted again.

Can’t stand s30v! But again if I love the knife I might buy it.

Serrations, chisel grinds, damasteel, gaudy designs (nearly everything by WE), coated blades, partially coated blades, steels below 8cr13mov.

While I don’t mind owning some blades over .12” thickness, I’m mostly disinterested in buying more.

The Gemini is spoiling the crap out of me. It’s simple and perfect.

Why you don't like Damasteel?

Beyond the styles and locks I don't like there's wide thick blades, funky grinds, steels I can't simply touch up in seconds, and handles that try too hard to be ergonomic.
There's also tanto blades, those things with curved edges they try to pass off as sheep's foot blades, and usually partially serrated edges though I've got one that I live with.

I dislike specs of rust on knife blades.

Also, not a fan of recurves or chisel grinds (although, I do own 1 or 2 of each in my collection).

Hollow grinds on folders that are otherwise designed with rugged/hard-use in mind. It's just, in my experience, the wrong grind. It makes for a lovely slicing and carving knife for soft/mushy materials, i.e. meat and the like. On a hunting knife? Sure. But on something like a Buck Marksman that is designed to be super tough, I'd much rather have a high saber grind.

I'll also add that i'm not a fan of hollow grinds on woods/bushcraft knives. I find it tougher to do controlled wood carving with a HG than with a FFG or high saber.

Low grade steels
Assisted opening or auto knives
Liner lock
Serrations
Choils

I don't like choils, cheap steels, most liner locks, chisel ground blades (sorry CM) and I like a nice blade to handle ratio.

Anything without a finger gaurd when the knife is open....possibility for disaster if your hand slips off the handle...so basically anything without a flipper, with the exception of the griptilian or the para2...

This is the question: What specs really turn you off when looking at a knife? I'm sure we have all had an experience where we were looking around online and browsing knife models. You see a knife that catches your eye. It looks good, like it was made with your style in mind. You click on the product page to see more pictures and get the specs. Then you see that one little fact that ruins the entire knife design for you. What is it? Just curious to see all the various answers.

We all know that this is a subjective issue. This isn't the place to argue about whether or not certain features are objectively good or objectively bad. I just want to hear opinions for the fun of the discussion.

For me, the biggest turn off is a chisel grind. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a photo of a knife that I'm really into until I see a photo of the opposite side and realize that it has a freakin' chisel grind. I really love symmetry, so chisel grinds just rub me the wrong way. That kills the whole knife for me right then and there. (If you hadn't guessed, this exact situation happened to me 10 minutes ago, which inspired the thread).

I'll only buy premium steels b/c today's premium steel is tomorrows garbage. May as well start at the ledge and stare in to the pit, rather than stand in the bottom of the pit.

Last edited:
Back