What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Quality pair served up hy your rotation schedule, Gary.
I know you’re fond of Schrade’s Bone Stag Delrin®️, so I hope you find a use for that Uncle Henry today!
Thanks, Jeff. :)
I definitely have an (inexplicable) attraction to Uncle Henry Staglon :rolleyes:.
I also think the 897UH is almost the perfect medium stockman. I prefer round bolsters to square ones. I like the way the joints are almost-sunk, with tang corners barely sticking up. The Turkish (skinny) clip blade adds to the smooth profile of the closed knife, and the closed sheepsfoot blade isn't sticking up so far that part of its edge rests above the liners. I like sowbelly stockmans more than regular stockmans, but when it comes to regular stockmans about 3.5" closed, I always compare them to the 897UH.

How's the anchor Watchman? It looks similar to a Otter-messer. I don't have any experience with either, just curious.
Although I've never owned a boat in my life (other than my wife's kayak), I'm always drawn to knives that have an anchor shield on them; I think I have at least 4 folding knives with an anchor shield. :rolleyes: I do NOT have an Otter Ankermesser, so I can't really compare my knives to that model, but from pictures, I'd agree that my Watchman anchor knife looks very similar to the Otter version: big sheepsfoot blade (although the Watchman blade is stainless and Otter offers a choice of carbon or stainless steel), wood handle (Watchman has just one handle material, a "mystery" wood, while Otter has 2 or 3 wood choices IIRC), anchor shield. The Watchman model has a nice shackle, while the Otters offer a choice of leather lanyard or not (I don't remember if they ever had a metal bail at some time). My Watchman also has a tasteful groove in the bolster, while the Otters have plain (smooth) bolsters.

I like my Watchman very much. I've learned that I like using a big sheepsfoot blade attached to a stout wood handle. The steel is Chinese 7Cr17MoV, which is apparently a better knife steel than 440A but not quite as good as 440C; I've also found info online comparing it favorably with AUS-8, which I have on a couple of knives. (But I'm not a sophisticated enough user to tell the difference among many of these steels. My 440A Rough Riders, Schrade+ USA (not sure what stainless that is), Chinese Schrade stainless, AUS-8, and 2 or 3 knives with 440C all perform about the same, as far as I can tell.)

Watchman is the "economy line", or maybe an early version, of Brother Knives, a Chinese company that's been around for about 10 years. Brother knives have had some pretty good reviews here on The Porch. Here's one relevant thread I found:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/brother-knives.1827989/

And here's a link to a Watchman thread that's not as informative IMHO:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/watchman-knives.1910103/

FWIW, here's another Watchman knife I recently ordered, although it arrived with the Brother packaging and blade etch:

- GT

Hi folks,

I haven't been on as much lately.
My father started going downhill last October, and he passed peacefully about a month ago.

I have the Bunny that was a gift from @Chief , and the Humpback that @315 gave me a great deal on, and now I have been carrying Dad's MOP Peanut. View attachment 2552596
My sincere condolences. I hope a lifetime of memories can sustain you and your family at this difficult time.

Hi folks,

My father started going downhill last October, and he passed peacefully about a month ago.

I have the Bunny that was a gift from @Chief , and the Humpback that @315 gave me a great deal on, and now I have been carrying Dad's MOP Peanut. View attachment 2552596
So sorry for your loss, love that you have your dads peanut, prayers for you and your family

qBNRVGr.jpeg

I found out that I have some quotes from a couple of weeks ago that I completely forgot about while working on taxes. I'll just throw them out here as an example of my better late than never philosophy.

I also put in quite a bit of time driving tractors but never drove any as old as the Farmall F series . I never even had to try to start any of them with a Crank . Apparently the early Crank Starting ones broke a lot of arms from Engine Kick Back before they came out with Spring Loaded Cranks . Lots of farmers around still had those old F-12's , F-14's , and F-20's , but they kind of let them set around . Early John Deere's had a big Flywheel that you had to rotate by hand to start it and I did drive some of them . I lived for the day to drive a Farmall Super MD and they started that Diesel engine with a small gasoline engine .

Harry
My grandpa often would tell us about broken arms if he saw me and my brothers messing around trying to crank the F-20. I don't remember ever driving it, and I think the only times my dad ever started it were to move it if it got in the way of something else. I can remember the tractors we had, but I can't really remember when we had them. Before I started high school, Dad bought a brand new Case 630. But I don't know if we kept both the H and M Farmall after that, or traded one of them in (probably the M had more trade-in value) when we got the Case. We also had an Allis-Chalmers with wide-set from wheels (all our other tractors had the "tricycle set-up") that we used mostly for cultivating corn and hauling loaded or empty wagons of hay, straw, haylage, silage, and corn.

Thank you! It’s the perfect size stockman imo. Got mine at a gun n knife show for a couple dollars. Love it
:thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

Thank you!!

It was on the desk of a guy I worked with. I walked up to his desk and said "Wow, what a creepy rabbit!!" He said "Do you want it?" I said "Yes, of course - for real?" He replied "Yes - please take it."

It's my creepy rabbit now. Made in Indonesia, if that adds intrigue.
😁🤓

Thank you! The bolsters are made of brass while the covers are stabilised maple.
Thanks for the info about your knife! :thumbsup::)

Have you tried audiobooks? I will put them on while I do chores and stuff to keep me entertained and my mind active during monotonous tasks.
We used to listen to audiobooks in the car on long trips. That's how I found out I'm not a good multitasker. Every time traffic got heavy while we listened to an audiobook, I had to request a rewind to take me back to the part of the book just before traffic density increased; I apparently couldn't drive and listen at the same time. At least I made the smart decision to stop listening to the book, rather than stop paying attention to traffic. 🤓

I also walk a lot, and thought maybe I could listen to music, books, podcasts while walking. But I don't feel safe if I can't hear the cars on the street as I approach an intersection I want to walk across. So I had to abandon my Walkman and my iPod. (This was a LONG time ago! :rolleyes:)

I’m doing well, my friend, and thanks for asking! I had been back on the Tempurpedic 2 nights, but when the Covid cold hit me, I went back to the chair trying to keep Vik clear. Didn’t help. She and our daughter got it too, but fortunately it blew on through in about three days.
Ribcage is much better. I can move, and it only hurts when I press it.
Glad to read that you had an almost complete "reset" from the falling damage before COVID returned. :thumbsup::cool:

I*XL Large Lamb and a PAL US Navy Utility

That's a very desirable, and nicely matched, pair, Steve! :cool::cool::thumbsup:

I had to go check that my PAL Navy was still in the cigar box…
😁 Didn't Elvis sing about "Suspicious Minds"?

A cross between a Canoe and a Whittler -- a "Canittler" from Canal Street...

g30pBLp.jpg
That's a splendid knife, Jim! :thumbsup::cool::cool:

Alox Electrician with me today on my trip to two ships (or, more accurately one sub and one ship).

UMuFegy.jpeg
The Electrician is one of my favorite Alox SAKs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:
I live in Gerald Ford's home town, so I'm often reminded of him because of stuff bearing his name: presidential museum, part of I-196, the Grand Rapids airport, houses in which he used to live, little statues here and there. We have Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids, but I doubt if that carrier would fit in that lake! 😁 (I've tried to find out through the museum what kind of pocket knife Ford carried, but I've had no luck so far.)

That pair of knives radiates utility and taste, Greg! :thumbsup::thumbsup:;)

Good-looking bone stag stockman! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

We’ll mark 43 years this month, with no plans to start over (as far as I know), if I needed a new wedding ring, I’d look for one like that.🤙
Actually, I do need a new one. Beginning with building a walnut cradle while waiting for our first son, I wore through one of the twisted gold wires using folded over sandpaper. I “fixed” it with a glob of silver solder, but it’s ugly.
I thought on The Porch we had decided to say, "It's got character" when other folks might say, "It's ugly"! :thumbsup:;)

- GT

Good one to tuck into your boottop at work?

Now, don’t answer that.
Hi folks,

Peace to you and yours 🙏🏻
Kabar MKII and Granddaddy Remington for Wednesday. The Kabar will only be this morning. 😊

View attachment 2552740

View attachment 2552741
I was expecting this.
Nicer walking weather over by there, so the Kabar and a thick hickory stick oughta make ruffians and riff raff mind their manners.
Nice sheath you’ve got for it. I suppose collectors and museum curators want original g.i. sheaths, but give me one like yours anytime. I’ll send you a pm to ask where you got it.
Is that a five-leafed clover in the lower right?

94 is a fine knife.
Nice to see an OT that hasn’t been “sharpened” to death.

Back